Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a free app on my phone called LunaSolCal. It gives me sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset times, and positions and altitude at any location and date/time I wish. It also gives twilight hours and stages. I also use the PhotoPills app for more detail planning including the Milky Way.

02-20-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm another Photographer's Ephemeris user - works for me

good for moon too

02-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taking my camera everywhere and always looking for interesting images works for me....

02-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lot of my photos are taken in SE Asia, close to the Equator, harsh mid day sun directly overhead - all a supposed no-no.Yes the light is better at dawn and dusk, but I would never restrict or arrange my trips around these (what are in the Tropics) very limited windows of opportunity. The good DR of my old K5ii and new KP more than cope with these conditions.

02-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TPE is also a Web site, so PCs Macs and Linux boxes can access the basic version for free.

https://www.photoephemeris.com/tpe-for-desktop
02-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TPE has it's uses if you want to get a specific shoot, often with architecture involved. Personally, I gave up with it as I felt I was over-planning - an issue in today's over technologically driven word. Changing clouds, rain, expected atmospheric conditions etc. were more valuable in getting a good shot than nailing the sun's position. I now prefer to use an old, analogue style application called serendipity to take better shots these days ...
02-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #22

I use Photographer's Ephemeris to determine where I want to shoot or when I want to shoot for a given effect. Many times (like Normhead) I like to go look for what is there.

Normhead, how is the shoulder?

JB

02-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
I use Photographer's Ephemeris to determine where I want to shoot or when I want to shoot for a given effect. Many times (like Normhead) I like to go look for what is there.

Normhead, how is the shoulder?

JB
Today, it's medicated, but probably because I was out playing volleyball last night. I manged the DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC today. Things are looking up. Thanks for asking.

Just curious, those you who use the software, does it save you from needing scouting trips to the site. I notice maps of cities...I really don't do cities. I can see it being more necessary there, when maybe you want the sun shining down a map feature like a street.
02-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
...Just curious, those you who use the software, does it save you from needing scouting trips to the site...
Absolutely not. The software will save a lot of time in figuring out the date, time, and location to shoot from to possibly get the results you envision. But, to get the precise spot to shoot from can only be done by scouting. The GPS and maps in the device are just not accurate enough to put you in the exact spot you need to be, and there may be something on the ground obstructing the view you want. As an example, you want a shot of the sun rising with a certain lighthouse in the center of it. The software will tell the date, time and location when this will line up. You go to the location, find the exact spot you want to shoot from, along the line determined by the software, then when the sun starts to rise you realize you need to move some amount of distance to the left or right to get the perfect shot you envisioned, because the lighthouse is setting on a built up base or tall rock outcropping putting it at an elevation the software can't account for. The only way you can make that move quickly enough is to have scouted the area before hand for optional shooting spots. Additionally, you go to the predetermined spot and find out it is restricted in some manner, and you just can't get there. So by physically scouting and using the software you can find a different spot, day, and time when everything will line up and you can get to it.

Last edited by DWS1; 02-20-2020 at 09:30 PM.
02-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photographers Ephemeris is a great tool for this purpose, though it takes some time to understand how to use it wisely. I have used it to calculate sunrise/sunset times and positions in mountainous terrain (it has a topographic map feature) as well as moon positions and phase in same. Probably the most vigorous test was in determining prospective locations for viewing and photographing the eclipse here a few years back. The most fun was in back-determining the exact location where the iconic eclipse photo at Smith Rocks was taken.

The Web-based (free) version is usable at:

Web ? The Photographer's Ephemeris

It does everything that the mobile versions do, but does require Internet.

Steve
02-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #26

Normhead,

I closed my photography business 12/31/2019.

But when I was doing a commission, for example, for a lady where the location was over 200 miles away I used the TPE to look at locations at the area to determine exactly where the sunset was and where I could set up to include what she wanted. I determined that the best places were on roads with no parking. I found the best site was on the property of a private club. I contacted them and offered a letter of total indemnity to be on their property for two hours. They accepted. I watched the weather forecasts for the best days (storm coming through). I made arrangements for a day and drove there. The scouting was perfect. I set up two cameras (K1 and K3) on tripods with releases on the deck of their clubhouse and made about 100 images in 2.5 hours, I went home that night. I reviewed the images, processed about 20, and chose five that I sent as proofs to the lady. She chose her favorite and I had a 48x72 inch canvas made for her. She loved it. One day on the road and photographing. Probably 10 hours on TPE over a week. This was at a lake in the upstate.

Glad the wing is working. Pain may be around for awhile. I have a bunch of things I injured when I was playing football, racing Enduro bikes, and being run over by a pickup truck on the farm. I haven't had a day without something hurting since I was 14. Expect it, push it to the back of your thoughts and it becomes part of the background noise of your day. Salonpas, Tylenol and ibuprofen help some.

Later,

JB

Last edited by Take-5-JB; 02-21-2020 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add word
02-21-2020, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I use an app called PhotoPills to tell me where the sun/moon will be in addition to many other astrophotography applications.
QuoteOriginally posted by splash_fr Quote
I use TPE (The Photographer's Ephemeris) as well. It allows me to calculate where the sun (or moon) will be at a given time and place.
Allows you to calculate when the sun will be behind a church tower when viewed from a specific location.
But you will have to visit the spot beforehand to select the exact position you want to take the shot from.

Rgds,
Gerd.
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
TPE is also a Web site, so PCs Macs and Linux boxes can access the basic version for free.

Web ? The Photographer's Ephemeris
I have TPE on my phone but I use PhotoPills more often (iPad and phone). It calculates Sun and Moon as far in advance (and past) as I want, as well as Blue Hour, Meteor Showers, a Planner like TPE and the basic tools referenced above. Thee app manager also sends emails suggesting upcoming astrological astronomical events in my area and has online app and photography tutorials.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-22-2020 at 08:34 AM.
02-22-2020, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...also sends emails suggesting upcoming astrological events in my area...
Hadn’t noticed that feature, has the stranger appeared in your life yet and are you going to take that journey?
02-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Hadn’t noticed that feature, has the stranger appeared in your life yet and are you going to take that journey?
Autocorrect Yikes! (Fixed)