Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2020, 04:54 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Not all of us are rich

l haven't seen much of this here at PF. But on other photography forums, there are some who feel that EVERYONE must buy gear that's as $$$$$$$$$$ as what they have. Someone will ask for advice on what to buy. They state their needs and budget. They get recommendations for gear that cost several times what they want to pay. They ask for advice on APS-C gear, and folks suggest they go full frame. On another site l mentioned that l was looking for a reasonably priced Pentax body and lens that's a good beater setup that's WR. l got scolded and he said l should spend the $$ on Nikon gear. l think it's funny. They just don't get it. My wife and l have incomes that are fairly low. And this is just a hobby for me, so the logical thing for me to do is stick with lower priced gear.

02-23-2020, 05:06 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
They just don't get it. My wife and l have incomes that are fairly low. And this is just a hobby for me, so the logical thing for me to do is stick with lower priced gear.
That's a good point. You can enjoy good photographs without spending top dollar. Given same format, the basic camera models deliver almost all of the quality of the more expensive more durable models. However, camera stuff is usually very expensive relative to utility and relative to other electronic goods. There are two ways cameras and lenses can be low cost: 1) buy the cheapest models for a given format 2) Buy more expensive models and keep them for longer. The cost per year is mitigated by the longer life time of more expensive systems. Cheaper cameras are more quickly outperformed by newer models as the high end features are transfered to cheaper models over time. At equivalent cost per year, it's a personal choice whether we prefer to buy cheaper items more often or keep more expensive items for a longer time.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-23-2020 at 05:14 AM.
02-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good points. I am also on a tight budget these days so I have not bought much for several years. A new K-7 when they were released and a used K-5iis plus a reasonable collection of mostly used lenses. As a general principal on most purchases I decide what I can afford that will suit my needs and then stretch the budget a little to go one level higher. My two older bodies will do quite well for sometime yet. K-7 has 65,000 actuations and the K-5iis has 35,000. Still some life in them yet.
02-23-2020, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

If you are OK with APS-C and insist on WR, buy a used DA*16-50. It's not FF, so many owners decided to sell it once K-1 had been released. Some suffer from SDM issues, but you can easily switch it to screw-drive which works like a charm. Such a converted lens will cost just a fraction of the original price, but it might be a reliable workhorse for many further years.

(The real advantage of K-mount is a pretty nice compatibility of cameras and lenses since 1975. There are some real gems among the legacy lenses and available very cheap these days.)

02-23-2020, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #5

I think the basic question is ... Are you happy with the results of your efforts? It IS a hobby (well, for most of us). It's art, and the camera and lenses are tools. I forget who said this, but it's true ... the most important part of a camera is the 12 inches behind the view finder. That being said, it's not the $$ you spend, but how you use what you've purchased. The "spend 'til it hurts" crowd are missing the point. They probably ignore RawTherapee and GIMP too.
02-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There is little more frustrating sifting through suggestions that don't meet your price target.

But right off the top of m head the F 70-210 and Any of the FA 35-80 type lenses come to mind.
02-23-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I also have a limited budget to spend on photography. My Pentax DSLR gear at the moment consists of a K200D and a K-x. The latter is falling apart, literally. The base plate has cracked but duct tape works wonders. I will probably replace it with a used K5 II or K3 when funds permit.

As for people suggesting that you buy a top dollar Nikon when you only want a used Pentax, that is the nature of the internets these days, I guess.

02-23-2020, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #8

I’ve been really into photography seriously for the last 10 years. While my current camera I bought new, my last 3 I bought used, as did several lenses. Between PentaxForums, EBay and Adorama-Used, I have gotten some great equipment for a lot less than you would think. The people here have given great advise to many a photographer which is a good deal and what to look for in used cameras and lenses. This is a great resource!

Also consider, many photographers today are shooting for the computer screen, not for large 13x19 prints or commercial applications, so sensor size is not as important as you may be led to believe. So a K7, K5 or K100D will take great pictures, even with a used 18-55mm kit lens. There are a lot of people on this site shooting great pictures with “old” tech and are loving it. Don’t let the techies get you down!
02-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

For a WR beater, a used KS-2 will probably be the best value. A nice, newer camera that can be had used quite inexpensively. A K-5 would be my other choice. The 16-50 or 18-135 are both available used quite cheaply, depending on if you want range or faster aperture.
02-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my opinion [ please remember that my opinion and $ buys coffee at your favorite restaurant ]

is good photography is a combination of knowledge, experience and equipment

not just what equipment you have

_______

one of the nice things I like about Pentax is the ability to use what I call " vintage " equipment obtainable often at lower costs

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Life is expensive and priorities must be met

at my stage of life, with a willing spouse, I have been able to acquire a nice collection of gear but what I choose is good for me.

[ the KP was acquired by sheer luck thanks to the PF Contest in November ]

it is not a requirement that others must meet

PF has friendly members and knowledge

I hope it doesn't have many members who demand that others must have the latest, " brightest " gear

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2020 at 07:08 AM.
02-23-2020, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #11

Being on a fixed income and a low budget, used Pentax equipment was a "No Brainer" for me. A couple years back, I purchased a used K3 body primarily due to the bang for the bucks and the fact that I already had older compatible lenses from my film days with the K-1000. The older lenses are manual focus, but otherwise they work quite well. The K3 does have weather seals, a full metal body, a real pentaprism viewfinder, an on camera flash, and many other useful features not normally available for the $400.00 I paid for it. I used my legacy lenses exclusively for about a year, then found a "WR" Pentax zoom lens for sale on Craigslist for $50.00 and snapped it up. This combo does a great job for me with my only possible complaint being the noise levels in low light photography above the 800 ISO setting. This is still manageable and I attribute it to the older sensor technology as compared to what is now available at 4 or 5 times the price. In any case, I now have $450.00 (not counting my legacy lenses) in the whole setup and have found the K3 to be a very capable tool at an exceptional valve for the price. I would recommend used Pentax equipment to anyone that wants quality equipment at an affordable price. Good luck and good shooting to all.
02-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It's not just a question of how high you budget is, but also what you choose to spend it on. If you save up long enough you can buy a K-1 instead of a K-50 (used prices will go down anyway) if that is important to you. Also: the grass is always greener. No matter what you buy there is always someone who has something more expensive (if not always better) Their are cyclists that spend many thousands on bikes because they want to go faster but do not spend enough time training so people on a used $150 dollar bike from the eighties pass them easily. The best thing is not to worry about it and make do with what you have. Skill, effort, creativity are all much more important than gear. On gear oriented sites it is easy to forget about that.
02-23-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

In my observation people talk/type about what they know. Most people know Canon and Nikon. So when you ask a Pentax question on a general forum and people feel the need to respond they respond with what they know, which isn't typically Pentax.

As far as budget it is easy to spend other people's money on the internet.
02-23-2020, 07:27 AM - 10 Likes   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I am rich.

Very rich.

My wealth comes from family, friends, home. In that regard, I am a multi billionaire.

Oh, money.

Well, I have done OK in my life, but I am far from rich. I have always earned enough to get by, pay the bills, and live comfortably.

I choose Pentax because I know I don't need to spend my last dollar on the most expensive gear to make great images.
02-23-2020, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
l haven't seen much of this here at PF. But on other photography forums, there are some who feel that EVERYONE must buy gear that's as $$$$$$$$$$ as what they have. Someone will ask for advice on what to buy. They state their needs and budget. They get recommendations for gear that cost several times what they want to pay. They ask for advice on APS-C gear, and folks suggest they go full frame. On another site l mentioned that l was looking for a reasonably priced Pentax body and lens that's a good beater setup that's WR. l got scolded and he said l should spend the $$ on Nikon gear. l think it's funny. They just don't get it. My wife and l have incomes that are fairly low. And this is just a hobby for me, so the logical thing for me to do is stick with lower priced gear.
Since I've been shooting Pentax (2007) value has been a big part of the ethos of Pentax as a brand, and also as a community. And I think among mainstream brands, Pentax users as a group are the most in touch with the value and performance of less expensive pre-digital lenses and also are not especially obsessive about the megapixel count of digital cameras.

The m4/3 crowd is good about acknowledging and accommodating budgetary constraints, too.