Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 142 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just saying, the more you plan for the future, the more you're likely to spend now...
That's right but also a big problem. The new photographer barely has a handle on pictures he wants to take today. The future, where we'll need a seven digit display for ISO, is hazy. The best way to not spend an unlimited amount of money is to define the need (hard part) and buy that. The OP's complaint is with advice that doesn't define the need well enough, and attempts to provide for every possible need into the future.

03-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #77
Unregistered User

More than one of us has touched on the idea that "best value" is not the same as "least expensive".

Me ol' Dad was born during the depression, and raised by people for whom it was still a present reality. All his life, he'd buy stuff because it was the cheapest possible, just to get through a particular day, without any thought for how well the stuff was constructed or how long it would hold up under use. I kept trying to tell him that if he'd spend just a little more money on the stuff he bought, he could get significantly better stuff. And, that the difference in quality more than made up for the difference in price.

Obviously, the rule of "diminishing returns" enters into it, such that the price point for a particular thing might exceed the value of the quality improvement. No point in over-paying, either, but it's a false economy to think that the least price is the best value.

There's a corollary to that principle, too. Effectiveness is all that counts, really, so when the quality of a product exceeds the functionality needed, there's no point in spending more because you're not really getting more. That's a big reason for people's purchase of Pentax, I reckon, since you're really getting more than you need if you buy a Nikon D850, and the incremental improvement isn't worth the money.
03-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
On another site l mentioned that l was looking for a reasonably priced Pentax body and lens that's a good beater setup that's WR. l got scolded and he said l should spend the $$ on Nikon gear. l think it's funny. They just don't get it. My wife and l have incomes that are fairly low. And this is just a hobby for me, so the logical thing for me to do is stick with lower priced gear.
Wouldn't the logical thing to be to use the "beater" that you already own? Seems to be a first world problem, deciding which duplicate luxury item to buy while claiming lack of basic resources. That might be why some people didn't empathize with your stated financial restrictions.
03-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #79
Pentaxian

1st post in this thread and here goes: when someone asks a question like this and has definite budgetary resource limits, my approach is pretty much always to try to make suggestions that would respect those limits (or maybe even come in below them with a bit of luck!) as I too now suffer financial restraints (and the current health crisis won't make the situation any better).

I totally agree with those who "nay-say" people who propose "relatively massive" increases over the questioner's stated budget limits, and thus with those who suggest "older" kit that might meet both the desired "performance" goals and the budget limits.

OTOH, IF the performance goals are realistically unachievable within those budget limits (e.g. I want a K-1 and a good Pentax 70-200 f2.8 zoom and I have around 100 $/£/€ to spend - so where can I get those?) then it is only right and proper to (politely!) say something like "no chance" and ask the list of questions suggested earlier in order to better understand what the questioner wants to achieve.

Last edited by jeallen01; 03-17-2020 at 02:10 PM.
03-18-2020, 12:48 AM - 3 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens first, then the camera. Spend what you can and get the best lens first, it will outlive your camera bodies...

Last edited by stihlmania; 03-20-2020 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Typo
03-18-2020, 03:46 AM - 3 Likes   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we can say clearly that some level of gear is necessary to make a photo. At the same time, used gear can be had very cheaply. A kx or K10 with a kit lens may only run a couple of hundred dollars. At the same time, it is important to know that there will be limitations compared with more modern gear and a better quality lens. Figuring out what gear you will eventually want and saving for that is the key to "buying once" rather than making lots of purchases that need regular upgrading.

I am blessed to have some (not unlimited) funds but once I got a K-1 and lenses I liked, I have had little desire to upgrade. I'd rather focus on taking photos. Sure, I'd like Pentax to release a couple of primes that I want, but it isn't like I think about that a lot. On the other hand, when I have had gear that was not working for me, I was constantly thinking about what I needed to replace my current set up with to get the results I wanted.
03-18-2020, 04:13 AM   #82
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
The lens first, then the camera. Spend what you can and get get the best lens first, it will outlive your camera bodies...
I agree

with Pentax almost all lenses are interchangeable with various Pentax cameras both film and digital

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

so when $ is an issue ( priorities matter after all ) consider good experienced lenses if available or wait on sales

03-18-2020, 05:41 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am blessed to have some (not unlimited) funds but once I got a K-1 and lenses I liked, I have had little desire to upgrade. I'd rather focus on taking photos. Sure, I'd like Pentax to release a couple of primes that I want, but it isn't like I think about that a lot. On the other hand, when I have had gear that was not working for me, I was constantly thinking about what I needed to replace my current set up with to get the results I wanted.
My problem is when I'm getting results that are pretty good, but I'd like a bit better. For me, right now, that's indoor sports. And Pentax isn't necessarily offering a lot in the way of fixing my itch, since a 70-200 f/2.8 is really expensive and the K-new is currently mythical. Then I start daydreaming about other systems and realize that's a lot more expensive than a 70-200...

At least for now indoor soccer season is over, I'll probably keep that one itch at bay for a while.
03-18-2020, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
there are some who feel that EVERYONE must buy gear that's as $$$$$$$$$$ as what they have. Someone will ask for advice on what to buy. They state their needs and budget. They get recommendations for gear that cost several times what they want to pay.
Yes that happens too often. Internet users have a good quota of ignorant and dumb folks.

To be balanced I have to add that there are (less, but not much) as many ignorant and dumb users who first state a very limited budget and then list a dozen of hard requirements (brandnew only, lenses must be fast aperture, fact focussing, model needs to be new enough to be kept for the next 5 years, gimmick here, gimmick there, lenses must be tack sharp in the extreme corners wide open in 100% view etc.). These types tend to get extremely fast aggressive when someone hints at their requests being unrealistic nonsense.
03-18-2020, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Yes that happens too often. Internet users have a good quota of ignorant and dumb folks
Amen to that statement.

I'm not rich either and when I started in Digital photography (former film user), I bought a K100D but since I had lenses from my film days, I was set to go further into digital, because my lenses mounted to my new camera. Since then, I've collected quite a few cheap lenses and used them for what I shoot, wildlife and flowers.

Sometimes you can get cheap lenses in the Marketplace here. I needed a better zoom lens and bought a 55-300mm for pennies on the dollar ($65), the next 55-300mm was the WR version, another cheap find, $165, also bought in our Marketplace.

The one reason I buy in the Marketplace is because the owner is a Pentaxian, and we take good care of our lenses.
03-18-2020, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

Perhaps if I spent less on lenses, a Pentax that is more modern than my K200D or K-x would be on the cards. The thing is, all these lenses looking for a new home keeps appearing out of nowhere...
03-18-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Perhaps if I spent less on lenses, a Pentax that is more modern than my K200D or K-x would be on the cards. The thing is, all these lenses looking for a new home keeps appearing out of nowhere...
Have a 1000th like.........and learn a bit of self-control
03-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Have a 1000th like.........and learn a bit of self-control
Do you have some kind of "who's going hit a milestone on Pentax forums?" App?

In only another 111 likes you be at 5555. I like those ones as well.

Now only 110 to go.

Last edited by normhead; 03-18-2020 at 06:04 PM.
03-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now that the market has tanked, I guess a realistic budget matters more than ever. I have been fortunate in my life and in my ability to purchase great equipment. In addition to my Pentaxes, I have a 1/2 dozen Leicas and dozens of lenses. But the point of this thread is to share real value. well here it goes:

I shop aggressively on line and all my Pentaxes except the KP and the K-5 ii were bought used. Even the KP was value driven.
KP--bought new Black Friday 11/2018 from Adorama for $696 including 18-55mm kit lens, all 3 grips, comfort strap, 32gb SD card and a kit bag
K-5ii--new in box old stock bought for $275.00 from Skymall (eBay) with 50-200mm lens (that really is a great inexpensive Pentax lens)
K-S2: Bought open box/demo from Roberts Camera with a18-55mm DAL collapsible lens for $345.00
K-3ii: Bought it for $480 2 years ago from a member on the Pentax forum (6200 exposures)
K-1: this was the deal of the year: 1600 exposures w/a 14-24mm and 18-105mm for $1,500.00....

Now granted, some of these prices are still higher than the budget described by the OP, but that k-5 ii and its almost magical 16.3 mp sensor is the 'golden age' of APS-c....well-built body, top case readout, strong ISO performance (even today), good built in fill flash, water sealed body: 275.00 New !!! with a 50-200mm to boot. The K-S2 has almost every feature the current K-70 has except the 24 mp...honestly the 20.4 mp sensor is strong. The weakness of the K-S2 is the black shutter issue and the magnet assembly (see other threads dealing with this remedy if it happens).
In today's inflated world, $275 for a pro camera is a bargain.
03-19-2020, 02:33 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you have some kind of "who's going hit a milestone on Pentax forums?" App?

In only another 111 likes you be at 5555. I like those ones as well.

Now only 110 to go.
Ha,ha It was just one of those weird coincidences.I do tend to have an eye for detail.I’ll often notice things in the background of a scene.I put it down to my career as a house surveyor where attention to small detail was essential.