Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2020, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
How silly of me! I should know better, I wasn't thinking. Actually, she wants nothing to do with shopping for it she hates electronics and computer Tech and spec stuff. She says just find me something nice and then i'll look at it. What can I say.

---------- Post added 02-23-2020 at 09:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I'm not sure what your budget is but it sounds like the Sony Rx100 series would fit the bill. The newer ones are pricy but have a 24-200 zoom. The older ones, several of which are still on sale new, have a 24-70 zoom. I have the older RX100II and I love it -- it's perfect for casual and family type shots, has decent video and af, and is small and light enough to fit into your pocket. Image quality is excellent.
This is one I am looking at on the net.

02-23-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fuji X100V... then a month down the road I'd steal it.... (it's so not about what she wants.... don't be fooled).
02-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with Travel... though this is a Pentax-forum, based off what you said you're looking for, its hard to persuade you away from Sony cameras... especially if video is a consideration. The real question is how portable are you talking? If you're looking/hoping to literally put it in a pants pocket, then the RX100 series is great! (lower resolution though 20MP). I think the III/IV is the sweet spot here. If you're willing to go a little bigger then the a6X00 series probably fits your needs (the a6000 is the most affordable, unless you want the newer AF eye-detect thing in the 6100). It's what I'd probably get over anything else. 11fps alone is enough logic for me, especially if Auto is the preference. You literally just point and fire. Helps that it has higher 24MP too. The standard pancake kit lens is pretty versatile. The good thing about either of these series, is that I actually don't think there's that big of a jump from the newest and older models. They're all pretty good.
02-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #19

Original Poster
You guys Kill me

02-24-2020, 12:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus Tough TG-6 - ideal for throwing into any handbag.....or dropping out of one! And 12 MP for a small sensor point-and-shoot has bigger pixels for better image quality.

Philip
02-24-2020, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Need Help Buying A Camera For My Wife
One that does not fit your lenses...

02-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Another +1 for Sony RX100,my pocketable backup is a mk1 and I can thoroughly recommend it.
02-24-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input folks, She picked up a Canon. Definetely not what I expected, but it is what it is. Power Shot Elph 520 HS. Glad I didn't go out and get what I think she wanted.
I learned a lot by researching the ones you all recommended. I might end up with one of those for myself/
Thanks again.

02-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Thanks for all the input folks, She picked up a Canon. Definetely not what I expected, but it is what it is. Power Shot Elph 520 HS. Glad I didn't go out and get what I think she wanted.
I learned a lot by researching the ones you all recommended. I might end up with one of those for myself/
Thanks again.
So, you are saying that @ Frank back was right?
02-24-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
Yes.............. he was right! I could have saved myself embarrassment thats for sure.
02-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #26
Unregistered User

After going through much of the same rigamarole, myself, we settled on a Canon Powershot G1 X Mark III. It actually provides more opportunity for control in a fixed-lens camera than she needs, and less optical telephoto than she'd have liked, but it seemed the best compromise. My wife is something of a world-traveler, and wants to be able to take pictures of predatory birds circling below her in the brightest of sunlight at the Grand Canyon as well as the interior of dimly-lit temples in Japan. Took some getting used to, she's coming from a Sony RX100 VI. Important factor: the Canon optimizes color fidelity (by her lights).