Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #1

Need Help Buying A Camera For My Wife

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

We are in our 60's, and the wife would like a camera to replace an old Canon 1100. She would like a camera that shoots great auto pictures. She has no desire to get off auto. It must be a compact camera with a fixed lens that can be thrown in her purse and used in all kinds of situations.And reasonably priced, new or used is fine. My first digital was an Olympus Camedia that was amazing.
Is there such a camera out there?
Thanks for the help

02-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GR III from Pentax is pocketable and takes very nice images. Refurbs are very well priced and still have a factory warrantee.
02-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Is the video decent? That would be a nice bonus as well.
02-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I understand the requirements, you're looking for a compact, highly portable, fixed lens camera that would give good pictures in auto mode, at a relatively low price.

I assume your older camera is a Canon PowerShot SD1100, which is a type of camera commonly known as a 'point and shoot'. Easy to use, convenient, and fairly robust.

Several brands make point and shoot cameras. Why not consider a newer Canon PowerShot? Here's a link to a Canadian site that lists current prices:

Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca

For example, the Canon ELPH 360 HS is available for around CAD $250: https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-PowerShot-Silver-Optical-Built/dp/B019UDI1EE?th=1

Better image quality is generally found in the more expensive models. As @SSGGeezer indicates, the Ricoh GR III is an exceptional, highly-rated compact camera that has a larger sensor than the PowerShot models. Its image quality is superb, but it's fairly expensive at $1,200 in Canada, new.

I might add that smartphones made in the last five years or so include cameras that are quite useful for taking general-purpose pictures.

- Craig

02-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Does she use the zoom or does she just leave it at the widest setting like my wife?
02-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, she does use the zoom. She is really just a casual user on vacations, the grand kids, scenery etc... I realize that pretty much any camera would fit the bill, but I am more wondering if there is one make /model that stands out for great auto shooting. She won't let me spend a thousand bucks on it. So if there really is nothing great out there she will probably just stay with another canon that fits her needs.
Thanks
02-23-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is an awesome camera that I bought for myself. Fixed zoom lens by Leica, great video and very good stills - 4/3 sensor with 12.8 Mpx. You can get a little shutter attachment that will cover the lens when its retracted and you can put it in your pocket.

DMC-LX100 Cameras & Camcorders - Panasonic Canada

02-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Yes, she does use the zoom. She is really just a casual user on vacations, the grand kids, scenery etc... I realize that pretty much any camera would fit the bill, but I am more wondering if there is one make /model that stands out for great auto shooting. She won't let me spend a thousand bucks on it. So if there really is nothing great out there she will probably just stay with another canon that fits her needs.
Thanks
Well in that case I wouldn't get the Ricoh GR models, they don't zoom.

For a great wide-to-tele zoom with great auto picture quality I think I'd go with the Canon g9x mark II, it's selling new for 429 dollars. It has a 1 inch sensor so it's got a good big sensor in terms of point and shoots. The Canon image processors always work well in auto mode, there's a reason why "soccer moms" tend to love Canon. Straight out of camera pictures look great.

The Panasonic LX100 that k5astro just mentioned is also a great option - slightly larger camera, even larger sensor, and a higher price - it goes for about 598 dollars new these days.
02-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Used Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (Black) DSCRX100/B
02-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon PowerShot G5 X Camera - PentaxForums.com

I own the Canon G5X mark 2, small and shoots good auto, I dont shoot any video but the firmware update I got the other day added 24p what ever that is.
The Oly EM10 mark 2 can still be bought and thats a great little camera.
02-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have noted above, the Canon G series are pretty good.

My wife goes out with a G15, on auto, and gets great pictures. I take it, too, when I don't want the weight or volume of the big iron (K3 or K1). Autofocus and auto white balance are very good (I think AWB is better on the Canon than on my Pentaxes). It has a 4x zoom.
02-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If you are not going to process images, then it does not matter much.
02-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you are not going to process images, then it does not matter much :-) I shoot mostly on P but post process.
02-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks folks, exactly the info I want. I saw a you tube by mattias and dpReview about the Pentax MX1. That looks like a nice old camera. They want $400.00+ on e-bay. OUCH!
02-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what your budget is but it sounds like the Sony Rx100 series would fit the bill. The newer ones are pricy but have a 24-200 zoom. The older ones, several of which are still on sale new, have a 24-70 zoom. I have the older RX100II and I love it -- it's perfect for casual and family type shots, has decent video and af, and is small and light enough to fit into your pocket. Image quality is excellent.