Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Remember kids, stay off the tracks.

I subscribe to a channel on youtube called Virtual Railfan and this popped up in my feed tonight. Stupid family. Stupid photographer.

Remember kids, stay off the tracks.

02-25-2020, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Never underestimate the stoopidity of people!
02-25-2020, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

That particular gene pool is quite shallow methinks.
02-25-2020, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been photographing railroad stuff off and on for over 50 years. My dad, granddad, and two uncles worked for the railroad for 40+ years. Safety was drilled into me. So grumpy old guy says, I don't know how many time I have seen this. I will take the chance and say something to people. Surprisingly, the response by parents or others to "That is REALLY not a good idea." is positive rather than anger. I tell kids that it scares the engineer. They seem to respond.

02-25-2020, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't always need a train. It's not always diesel. If one track carries +ve and the other -ve …..
02-25-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Looking at their clothes I think they do not know the phenomena that the train is! I guess they trusted the Almighty to intervene...
This is not appropriate. In my experience I have seen many ethnic and cultural groups doing dumb/dangerous things, even individuals wearing cameras.
02-25-2020, 06:45 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the reason that some engineers suffer from PTSD. Nothing they can really do and they certainly cannot swerve, but knowing you are not a fault does not really help any. You still have the memories.

02-25-2020, 06:48 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
This is not appropriate. In my experience I have seen many ethnic and cultural groups doing dumb/dangerous things, even individuals wearing cameras.
Isn't that the truth! I have seen so many foolish photographers as we all have. And it's not limited to any cultural/ethnic group. Foolishness knows no bounds.
02-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
Isn't that the truth! I have seen so many foolish photographers as we all have. And it's not limited to any cultural/ethnic group. Foolishness knows no bounds.
Even the most intelligent folk often seem to lack common sense.I’ve a nephew (on my wife’s side) post grad,who works for NASA and I swear he couldn’t find his own backside without his phone
02-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I like shooting by the train tracks I am never on them or even on the railroad property adjacent to the tracks. However I see an awful lot of photos that people take where the photographer and individual being photographed are on the tracks. More so when it is time for senor pictures or graduation pictures. I should probably start reporting them to the railroad for trespassing.
02-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

But why run along the track instead of jumping clear ?
02-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the words of a great American, Forest Gump, "You can't fix stupid."
02-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
But why run along the track instead of jumping clear ?
A lot of people have been conditioned that if needing to run away from danger, they will run in the same direction that the danger is moving in. There are plenty of videos of people cutting down trees and the tree falls not the direction they intended. As the tree falls, somebody will run the same direction that the tree is falling in and the tree hits them.

Moving in a 90 degree direction is normally faster and safer but people sometimes don't think about that.
02-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
This is the reason that some engineers suffer from PTSD. Nothing they can really do and they certainly cannot swerve, but knowing you are not a fault does not really help any. You still have the memories.
A good story to share with those who like trespassing on railroad property. There is no happy ending, three teenagers died just to take a selfie. Union Pacific includes some info on the engineer and conductor who were on the train and first on the scene. It's heartbreaking so click accordingly.

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/selfie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm

02-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, some folks are pretty dumb and tragic accidents do happen.
But I wonder if this was staged. Was that footage from a webcam?
People like to show stupid behavior in videos, often on youtube.

Chris