Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 232 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This type of caution could be the only way to prevent rapid expansion of this dangerous virus, and avert a pandemic situation with millions of deaths.
Exactly. What happens is that due to usual media hype, people don't take it seriously.

02-29-2020, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I'm not worried about it - Surgeon General Limbaugh says it is just the common cold.
02-29-2020, 08:15 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A little lemon or lime down the neck fix's Corona.
Had a couple Virus with Schrimp Fajitas at Amigo’s Cantina tonight with my wife and daughter. Limed them for safety. Place was packed.
02-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to "General Photography", as it is at least as much about lenses as cameras. Well, some of it is....

02-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This type of caution could be the only way to prevent rapid expansion of this dangerous virus, and avert a pandemic situation with millions of deaths. Keeping hands washed is very important. It could also eventually weaken the virus as only a minor amount of virus is usually there at exposure, strengthening public immunity. We can hope for an effective vaccine in the near future.
Dude. Think. Falling down stairs will kill more people this year than COVID-19.
02-29-2020, 11:57 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Moved to "General Photography", as it is at least as much about lenses as cameras. Well, some of it is....
There wasn't yet any official news from Ricoh saying that the K-New and D-FA85 releases are delayed due to the virus.
03-01-2020, 12:03 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There wasn't yet any official news from Ricoh saying that the K-New and D-FA85 releases are delayed due to the virus.
Well they got my DFA 70-210 to me ahead of schedule, so make of that what you will

03-01-2020, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly. What happens is that due to usual media hype, people don't take it seriously.
Apparently, stock markets are.

And airlines.

And tourist operators.

And immigration officials.

I remember when the Vietnam draft was in force, and people (mostly people who were too old to be caught in it) would say “You’re more likely to die in a traffic accident”, which seemed comforting at the time. And then I realised that very few drivers were looking to intentionally kill me.

This is rather a different kettle of fish, although I have no doubt that, in the land of the conspiracy theory, someone will be cooking up a plot about a deliberate release of a biological warfare agent.
03-01-2020, 12:37 AM   #39
Pentaxian

You and your Bro are safe

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Apparently, stock markets are.

And airlines.

And tourist operators.

And immigration officials.

I remember when the Vietnam draft was in force, and people (mostly people who were too old to be caught in it) would say “You’re more likely to die in a traffic accident”, which seemed comforting at the time. And then I realised that very few drivers were looking to intentionally kill me.

This is rather a different kettle of fish, although I have no doubt that, in the land of the conspiracy theory, someone will be cooking up a plot about a deliberate release of a biological warfare agent.
Only Boags and Cascade there,no Coronas![COLOR="Silver"]

[

Last edited by surfar; 03-01-2020 at 12:43 AM.
03-01-2020, 12:56 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only Boags and Cascade there,no Coronas!"
Been a while since you were here, isn’t it?
03-01-2020, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sad thing is that the reaction of folk and governments will kill off many businesses and ruin peoples lives. Possibly more than the actual virus. In the UK just as things were picking up after the hiatus of Brexit, businesses will be floored. I wonder if the UK's largest photo show will go ahead next month?

One thing that is striking about this virus that appears to be different to others is where the fatalities (few percentage wise) are falling. Yes, old and sick, but not the young. However more males are succumbing. So older and male ... that's a bit like many of us here ...

ps. Peperberry farm's test was a cracker. An audible cackle from me when I read it, causing my wife to look up. I found it hard to explain I'd been reading a camera forum ;-)
03-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Been a while since you were here, isn’t it?
No,you just don't look in the right places,your brother does!
03-01-2020, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Knowledge of this thing is evolving, and I notice a few assertions being broadcast that don’t exactly align with what’s known at this stage. So, here’s a summary for your reading pleasure: Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths | World news | The Guardian
03-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No,you just don't look in the right places,your brother does!
Keep looking over your shoulder...
03-01-2020, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tell that to the fifty thousand people locked in northern Italy...

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 02:22 AM ----------

Knowledge of this thing is evolving, and I notice a few assertions being broadcast that don’t exactly align with what’s known at this stage. So, here’s a summary for your reading pleasure: Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths | World news | The Guardian
Yeah, something that has a high chance of sending you to the ER with acute pneumonia and has a 2% lethality rate is obviously not a cold. To be fair, it *mostly* kills elderly people and those with preexisting conditions (typical risk groups), but the increased chance of hospital commitment puts a LOT of pressure on the healthcare systems in any country, as well as increase the risk of contagion because, well, hospitals.

Not to mention the fact that pneumonia is a debilitating disease, you CANNOT power through it and still go to work like you might be able to do on a cold or even the flu. Nevermind the fact that going to work sick is just asking for trouble and for an outbreak.

This thing is a mini-SARS more than a super-cold. There is no reason to panic and fall prey to all the misinformation, but there is reason to worry and take all the precautions needed.

Last edited by Serkevan; 03-01-2020 at 02:26 AM.