Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Corona virus prevention on cameras and lenses

According to wikipedia "corona virus may stay viable and contagious on a metal, glass or plastic surface for up to nine days at room temperature".
If you bought a used lens or camera (it may come from china, vietnam, japan etc), it may have been touch by an infected person. To prevent infection, don't use your newly purchased lens or camera for at least nine day. If you can't wait (most likely the case of us with LBA or GAS) you have to disinfect the lens or camera with a 60% ethanol solution before you can touch it.

02-29-2020, 11:19 AM - 44 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally lick all exposed surfaces of camera bodies and lenses, primarily to provide proof of ownership....
02-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I personally lick all exposed surfaces of camera bodies and lenses, primarily to provide proof of ownership....
Winning comment... 🤣
02-29-2020, 11:22 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, some of you guys have it baaad! I look forward to the next comparison video on the Tube about which brand spread most coronavirus and is mirrorless more contageous than DSLR etc etc. Now wash your hands.

02-29-2020, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Virus spreads. Well, that's what you can expect from a virus.

02-29-2020, 12:11 PM - 10 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Wikipedia,that well known medical reference source (head slap emoji).

My brother,a retired GP,has a mug with the logo “Please don’t confuse your Google search with my Medical Degree!”
02-29-2020, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
According to wikipedia "corona virus may stay viable and contagious on a metal, glass or plastic surface for up to nine days at room temperature".
If you bought a used lens or camera (it may come from china, vietnam, japan etc), it may have been touch by an infected person. To prevent infection, don't use your newly purchased lens or camera for at least nine day. If you can't wait (most likely the case of us with LBA or GAS) you have to disinfect the lens or camera with a 60% ethanol solution before you can touch it.
Thank You biz-engineer, I disinfected my PK to Fuji X lens adapter with 91% Isopropyl when I recieved it a few days ago. Those of you that don't feel the need to take any precautions concerning this matter, Do Not, those that do, Do...

02-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I hear IKEA Jansjö no only clears yellow casts but also kills viruses. Don't hold me responsible when there is a run on Ikea though.
02-29-2020, 02:21 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For me...Siracha sauce + vitamin C to bowel tolerance.

For the cameras, lenses, and accessories...no problems. I have not purchased anything new or used photo stuff from Asia in a couple of years. Prevention by parsimony.

Steve
02-29-2020, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lysol's label apparently lists "human coronavirus" as one of the things it kills.
02-29-2020, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Touching camera gear? The riskiest thing you can do until this has burned out (say Labor Day) is touch a computer keyboard.
02-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it doesn't, I can walk to Boulder, easy.
02-29-2020, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Binocular Viewfinder Quote
Thank You biz-engineer, I disinfected my PK to Fuji X lens adapter with 91% Isopropyl when I recieved it a few days ago. Those of you that don't feel the need to take any precautions concerning this matter, Do Not, those that do, Do...
Warning - Using alcohol on the camera body is ill advised according to Pentax. From page 128 of my K-1 operating manual, "Do not clean the camera with organic solvents such as thinner, alcohol, and benzine."

This makes sense because solvents can attack/degrade certain types of rubber, potentially risking damage to the excellent weather proofing seals in Pentax cameras.

A better idea, but one requiring much more patience, would be to put your camera or lens in sunlight for a number of days (rotating it to expose all surfaces for extended periods), allowing natural UV radiation do it's magic as a natural disinfectant.
02-29-2020, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In all due sobriety, the first U.S. death from COVID-19 was announced today. It happened at a hospital near Seattle where a friend of mine is involved in patient care. Two of the three cases of U.S. patients infected by unknown means are within 200 miles of me and one is just across the river in Portland, Oregon. Our state governor has declared a state-wide emergency of the highest level of importance.

This is a serious matter indeed when potential threats may be as close as the keypad at the grocery store card terminal and where herd immunity such as provided courtesy of flu vaccines is non-existent. I think we should be well beyond unreasonable fear of manufactured goods from a particular country and seriously thinking about effective preventive strategies to use until this threat passes.

At present, active prevention is most important for those with high risk for complications, meaning certain existing health problems. Those preventive actions include:
  • Frequent hand-washing
  • Avoiding contact of unwashed hands with face, eyes, nose, or mouth
  • Avoidance of crowds and close social situations
  • Dietary and supplement usage per physician's suggestions

Be safe out there.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-29-2020 at 03:09 PM.
02-29-2020, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #15