Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 232 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Excalibor Quote
I'd like to point out that the so-called Spanish flu was, actually, a virus from China. It's called so because during WWI Spain remained neutral and thus there was no military censorship about the epidemics and the death toll: the other countries, equally affected, maintained the death toll as war secrets. Spanish flu - Wikipedia
Yes. True about Spain--I only reported the influenza's common name, not its actual origin....Nonetheless, it was a deadly flu and hopefully, better hygiene and a more vigilante health system in the U.S. and the world 100 years later will reduce the corono virus pandemic's ultimate impact....

03-02-2020, 02:29 PM - 4 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Yes. True about Spain--I only reported the influenza's common name, not its actual origin....Nonetheless, it was a deadly flu and hopefully, better hygiene and a more vigilante health system in the U.S. and the world 100 years later will reduce the corono virus pandemic's ultimate impact....
Oh the horror of it all......The virus will attack us old farts it greater numbers than younger folks. Might be some good deals
on Pentax gear in the not to distant future. Just remember to disinfect any purchases before licking.
03-02-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #93
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atlrob Quote
Just remember to disinfect any purchases before licking.
Or just buy radioactive lenses - they self-irradiate in transit!
03-05-2020, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

I believe we are doomed to have this spread..

i had to shake my head over this video...
The Daily Show on Instagram: ?Watch those hands!?

AL

03-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Proxy licker

It appears that this guy likes to lick things....Perhaps we could get him to lick our Cameras and lenses to
disinfect them.

Blue Bell ice cream licker in Texas sentenced | Fox Business

03-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I personally lick all exposed surfaces of camera bodies and lenses, primarily to provide proof of ownership....
This is one of these much liked comments in the forums, that you might regret liking in a few weeks from now.
03-06-2020, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I personally lick all exposed surfaces of camera bodies and lenses, primarily to provide proof of ownership....
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This is one of these much liked comments in the forums, that you might regret liking in a few weeks from now.
He wasn't suggesting that anyone should actually try doing that.

And to make sure we have our bases covered from potential litigation, here is a little PSA:

For the love of god, wash your hands. These viruses have a lipid envelope that is crucial to their structure and functions to enhance their virulence and it so happens that soaps and common detergents are very effective at disrupting and rendering these structures inert. It’s fast, it’s simple, and it’s one of the more useful (and it really shouldn't have to be said; sensible) things that any individual can do to help protect themselves and others under these conditions.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-06-2020 at 03:50 AM.
03-06-2020, 04:50 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Face slap,just face slap!
03-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
For the love of god, wash your hands.
Yeah , that's it.

Report of new people infected today (UK): "2 British Airways baggage handlers", that alone tells that a person infected touches a handle, the next person touches the same handle gets infected. So yeah, wash hands, don't touch face.
03-06-2020, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

One solution would be to coat every public surface (door knobs, hand rails, shopping carts, coinage, elevator buttons, etc. etc.) with habanero pepper extract. It would not take too many accidental eye/nose/mouth touches to teach people to NOT touch their face with the same hand that touched any public surface.
03-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
One solution would be to coat every public surface (door knobs, hand rails, shopping carts, coinage, elevator buttons, etc. etc.) with habanero pepper extract. It would not take too many accidental eye/nose/mouth touches to teach people to NOT touch their face with the same hand that touched any public surface.
As someone who is like a gas detector for capsaicin (the slightest "barely any spice" hint gives actual physical pain), I think I would *die*
03-06-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #102
dbs
Pentaxian

This ' new flu ' affects the respiratory system ..

So why is everyone buying toilet paper and tissues by the ' million '
Its giving me the $^%$ . and I can't get dunny paper
People ggrrr

Dave
03-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
One solution would be to coat every public surface (door knobs, hand rails, shopping carts, coinage, elevator buttons, etc. etc.) with habanero pepper extract.
Denatonium benzoate would have a similar effect but with substantially higher potency. I have always maintained a marker of good lab technique is when someone makes it without getting any of it on their hands.
03-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
This ' new flu ' affects the respiratory system ..

So why is everyone buying toilet paper and tissues by the ' million '
Its giving me the $^%$ . and I can't get dunny paper
People ggrrr
Because they don't think they'll be able (or will be afraid) to go to the grocery store at all soon, so they need everything. And they might be right...
03-07-2020, 12:12 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Because they don't think they'll be able (or will be afraid) to go to the grocery store at all soon, so they need everything. And they might be right...
Actual contamination rate is like an iceberg, the figures measured by testing are only the tip of the iceberg, that's why getting tested positive people in quarantine only limit the spread but doesn't stop it. The increase rate of cases indicates that the actual rate of contamination is ten times higher than shown figures. If they say 10 more cases tested positive means there are 100 other people walking freely, even taking airplanes unaware that they are hosts of the virus, one case in an airplane contaminates many other people again unaware that they carry the virus until they get fever a week or so later. So there is a backlog of infected people. As the relative density of backlog cases increases, the probability of catching it increases exponentially. In a city of 100 000 inhabitants, if the number of confirmed cases reaches 1 000, there actually 10 000 people having it, that means at that point if you go out of home there is a very high probability that you get infected, and if you are over 60 you have 20% of dying from it.

The difference between EU and China is EU don't use police to enforce practices. So, I've seen people shake hands and go by their business.... In Latin cultures of EU, people won't do something unless enforced by the police. Japan is very interesting, people just naturally follow recommendations given to them. Cultural differences show in the numbers.

Interestingly, there have been posts from Italian citizens saying traveling in Italy is safe (private business owners, tourism workers...), no flight from Milan cancelled, and the virus nicely spreading everywhere in Europe. We're such smart society (sarcasm). There are even ads saying that it is the best time to visit Italy because hotel rooms are very cheap at the moment.