Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 04:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So, CP+ 2020 would be over now...

Hi folks,
at this time of year we usually get some exciting reports about new developments and products.
I wonder if there will be a replacement for the famous pentaxforums interview with Ricoh and if there are other shows where things could be announced.
Yes, i am waiting for the announcement of the K-NEW, but i am also curious about the opinions of Ricoh HQ.

03-02-2020, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@Adam is planning to interview the folks at Ricoh Imaging HQ later this month...
03-02-2020, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I'm wondering, I have to say, is if Ricoh weren't planning to show anything new (that hasn't already been seen), or whether they are postponing it for another show - I wonder if they realise the extent to which Pentax in particular is either ignored by YouTube channels etc or the butt of jokes about lack of anything new or surprise that Pentax still exists - I can't see that not mattering for the future of the brand - it doesn't matter how good your products are is nobody thinks of trying them, and slow delivery means that you're always lagging behind the tech curve, even if it was cutting edge when you started the project
03-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was hoping for some news from Pentax this weekend, too. And slightly disappointed by the lack of those.

With the cp+ cancelled due to the corona virus and a lot of uncertainty regarding upcoming fairs (e.g. photokina) I would expect that Pentax (like any other brand) will have to announce their good news independently this year.

03-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
What I'm wondering, I have to say, is if Ricoh weren't planning to show anything new (that hasn't already been seen), or whether they are postponing it for another show
The new product this year was the D-FA 70-210 f4, and that's already too much because most people won't buy one due to already having a f2.8 pentax version or old FA lenses, or manual 70-210 lenses from the 70s.
There is no need of new Pentax products, because currently products are just fine. All we have to do is to take pictures with what we have.
03-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is no need of new Pentax products, because currently products are just fine. All we have to do is to take pictures with what we have
There's no need for the loyalists, sure, but there is an ongoing dribble of leavers and fewer people being attracted to the brand, as I see it - that's no recipe for long term survival. I've been with Penrac for 35 years - I'm not leaving, maybe you're not leaving, but we are getting older - we need to be replaced - and digital cameras aren't like film cameras: they can become effectively obsolete, and there's more to malfunction with age: would we want to replace them with brand new old tech?
03-02-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The new product this year was the D-FA 70-210 f4, and that's already too much because most people won't buy one due to already having a f2.8 pentax version or old FA lenses, or manual 70-210 lenses from the 70s.
There is no need of new Pentax products, because currently products are just fine. All we have to do is to take pictures with what we have.
That reads sarcastically, of course. You're poking fun at the Pentax community and your fellow members, biz - at Pentax, even... and I don't for one moment believe this is what you really think. Please correct me if I've genuinely misinterpreted that?

We're only at the very beginning of March, so mentioning "the new product this year" as if it's the only one is rather premature, wouldn't you agree? I'm not saying it'll be joined by a plethora of additional releases, but Ricoh has almost ten full months to announce other products, and I suspect there'll be one or two. What say we wait until the end of December to judge what new products have been released "this year"?

I do, however, agree that we should take pictures with what we have. That's great advice. It certainly beats bleating here about any lack of new product releases, especially for those who do so "just because" rather than having some essential practical application.

As for the D FA70-210 f/4, I'd buy one in a heart-beat if I didn't already own the DA*60-250 f/4 and/or could justify the spend. Maybe in a year or so...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-02-2020 at 03:46 PM.
03-02-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, K-new not announced yet means I have more time for saving up for it, which per se is not a bad thing. Plus, Ricoh may be spending that time to make it worthwhile.

And my K-3 doesn't show signs that it intends to die on me anytime soon either. (In fact, it basically works as on day one.) Looking forward to something new doesn't mean you can't enjoy life and photography in the meantime.
03-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
digital cameras aren't like film cameras: they can become effectively obsolete
it's obsolete every two years. When it's not obsolete enough they change the lens mount to make people buy new lenses on top of buying new bodies.

That's a lot of money for taking pictures, some people don't even spend a fraction of it, they take pictures with their smartphone.

---------- Post added 03-03-20 at 00:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That reads sarcastically, of course
No. Too complicated to explain.
04-26-2020, 03:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, are there any updates on the Interview?
04-26-2020, 03:19 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tau-Ceti Quote
So, are there any updates on the Interview?
You would need to ask @Adam (hopefully he'll pick up on this thread again)...