Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #1

Accessories needed for WR shooting?

Now that l have a WR body and lens, just need to know what else l'm going to need for bad weather shooting. My k-5 didn't come with a hot shoe cover. l have one for other brands of cameras that should work. And l assume the lens hood should be used to help keep rain droplets off the front element? Should l mount a UV/clear filter to the lens also? And a towel to wipe the camera down when l'm finished shooting? ls there anything else l need to know?

03-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The two most effective WR devices I have used to far are the umbrella, the poncho and a couple of unused plastic bags from grocery store.
03-03-2020, 01:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd second the umbrella and third it ! A light weight version. When the rain is falling hard it gives 100% protection. When walking in pouring rain, I lay mine over my backpack as a second line of defence. If use tripod and remote, then camera is easily protected when shooting. And they are cheap. Then I just rely on the WR of the gear. Of course I always have hood on anyway ...
03-03-2020, 01:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You also need the sync socket cover in place and double check all the rubber covers are properly seated. I'd definitely use a filter if it was actually raining.

03-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A hood for your lens - it prevents drops of water from falling on front element or on a filter.
03-03-2020, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Here's the "Highland WR" in operation.

03-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

WR is also meant to cover dust ingress too. Umbrellas won't be very helpful there.

Plastic bags + a few rubber bands work OK though, and a deep lens hood can delay the inevitable buildup of dust and dirt a bit too.

Cheap but useful camera covers like some of the ones from JJC are also pretty handy to keep around, just in case you need full body/lens/or even flash protection.

03-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather Reports

do you need to be out when it is going to be wet ?

it might be worth the time to look at this thread

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - PentaxForums.com

________

QuoteQuote:
AW, WR: Lenses with the AW (All Weather) or WR (Weather Resistant) designations are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust. AW is the more resistant of the two.
https://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

using/shooting with filters

that is a whole different kettle of fish

with deeply held beliefs on each side

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-03-2020 at 05:21 AM.
03-03-2020, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
do you need to be out when it is going to be wet ?
I'd never leave the castle at that rate...