Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just for fun, the DA 10-17 fisheye is a hoot.
The DA* 55 1.4 is my, "one lens on a desert island" lens.
Looking at what you have, the DA 16-85 would be a great addition.
And the Sigma 8-16 if you could find one would also add a whole new dimension, as would the DA 55-30 PLM.
If you want to stay with primes, then the 15 ltd or DA*200.
The 1.4 TC works fine with your DFA 100 macro, and could extend your range to 140mm and increase macro magnification, and would be especially worthwhile with longer lenses.

Maybe watch this video.... for further education, many good points and examples.
Bridging the Gap: Classical Art Designed for Photographers - YouTube

But from my perspective, if you are looking for fun, the DA 10-17 is just it. Being confined to 21mm to 100 mm is a very small part of the lens spectrum. About half my lenses fall into that range. But fully half my lenses 10-17, 8-16, 14 2.8, 200, 60-250, 300 2.8, 55-300, F-70-210 are outside that range.
Very interesting lecture, exactly my kind of thing.

I think you've all identified correctly I need to think what I'm doing with my photography before splashing out.

I do think the DA35 F2.4 is a slight weakness compared to the other two, not as punchy even if it's worthy. I might look to replace that first and then I might go long next and finally wide because I don't know if a 15 or a fisheye would suit. The 21mm is great for travel but if I'm just going out with a camera I tend to look for isolated elements, hence the long preference.

I think.

03-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the extreme wide end, I looked at other people's pictures to choose between fisheye and rectilinear. That made it obvious for me. When you're not doing that, put the DA 35/2.4 on the camera and shoot with that for a while, with the goal of pinning down what you don't like about it. Something like the Single In challenge, a picture a day for a month, though you don't have to go that long. That project can run concurrent with figuring out photography. The potential replacements for 35ish are too expensive to get them all. You want to have some idea where you're headed.
03-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Get a FA 43.... and shoot the world at f2..... there is a low serial one in the market place now... very desirable ....aussie dollars to....
FA43, right. One of the very best Pentax lenses.
03-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I feel the need to purchase something which will add to my photographic capability and take me from vaguely incompetent to mildly incompetent but I don't know what!

Lens wise, I've a Da21 a DA35mm F2.4 and D FA100mm F2.8, which pretty much covers the basic trio of core focal lengths I use. The DA 35 is probably my least favourite now but it's fine really. I could replace that with an DA40 LTD, I like the size for travel or maybe a 35mm macro but I don't use macro much and I have it on the F DA 100mm. Or I could leave them and supplement them with a 70 Ltd but really I don't know which way to jump on that.

I could invest in a filter system but all my lenses are 49mm thread and I have a polarizer and ND but I'm thinking about graduated filters and whether that would be better than adding graduation in PP.

Software wise I need to jump one way or another at some point. Lightroom 5.7 and CS2 is long in the tooth now but I don't like the monthly model, however I feel I might benefit from some plugins but either I can't or don't want to try them on older software versions and right now everything still works but some of the black and white plugins could be useful.

Then there's odd lenses like the Lensbaby type stuff, maybe they'd be worth a dabble.

I've scratched the bag itch, it didn't work and I still carry my stuff in an odd mish mash of rukkies and ancient bags and inserts.

I've got a new screen and calibration device. I'm not too interested in printing beyond the consumer Epson I have.

I may press the button on a 200mm manual lens on ebay, that'll give me something to play with for a bit.

At some point in the future the K5 may become a K3.

Basically I've reached the point where I don't need anything but would like something!
If you really want to buy something, why not go for a lovely zoom. Buy an 18-135 as a walk around lens, it is an amazing lens, and reading you don't have a zoom already I recommend this one. I would not go for any limited for the way you describe your photographic skills (yes, I do not like the limiteds, they are so much overrated and far too expensive). And a zoom can be so much fun. Another thing is if there are good shops in your area they may offer a cheap way to do a guided tour somewhere to show how to take pictures of animals, plants, buildings etc. I know that Sony sometimes organizes such workshops through a dealer for a very low fee (sometimes lunch included) with a Sony ambassador, an outstanding photographer, as your instructor. Does not matter that it is Sony, it is the experience you get. And the experience works with your K-5 as well. Primes require a different way of taking photo's from a zoom. So a zoom will give you a whole new experience.

03-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be sure, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming APS-C flagship, which I hope will be my next camera, and would certainly love to add more wonderful lenses to my arsenal. However, grounded as I currently am by work and other matters to attend to, what I frankly am missing the most at this time of the year is the time and leisure to actually grab my still-capable existing camera and doing some meaningful shooting. Gear matters, I'd be the first to acknowledge that, but it can also be a distraction.

What I sometimes resort to at such times is revisiting older work and trying to hone my b/w conversion skills:

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 03-05-2020 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Illustration added
03-05-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Basically I've reached the point where I don't need anything but would like something!
You can never have too many lenses....
03-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You seem to have the focal lengths you use most, unless there's a hole you want to plug, I'd be careful about buying more lenses. GAS creeps up on you and rarely improves your photography.

A filter system might improve landscapes if you've got the patience (location, composition and timing are much more important than gear). If you've only got 49mm filter threads, something like Cokin is much better value than most 100mm systems.

I'd consider something completely different, a cheap film SLR and lens (any make or model but Pentax may be more versatile). Depending on budget, maybe a medium format film camera. Experiment with a pin hole body cap. There are loads of options.

Books have been mentioned, I prefer those that represent bodies of work rather than 'how to' ones, they provide inspiration and may help you develop your style. Set yourself an 'assignment' - go somewhere different and put yourself in the shoes of a travel or documentary photographer - capturing the essence of a place or event.

Find a photo exhibition, study the work of others or find a magazine that provides inspiration. There are loads of workshops and courses out there, some will be useful, many won't, personally I'd avoid any with significant costs or those that look like money grabbing operations.

Getting out with a camera more often and concentrating more on what you're trying to portray will be more effective than buying gear you don't really need.

03-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What are you trying to shoot that you can't now? But also you sound somewhat dissatisfied with the 35 you have, so maybe replace it. You did mention the 40. There are also zooms, I'd highly recommend the 20-40 and the 55-300 PLM. I also like the 18-135, but the 16-65 is supposed to be better. But since you have no zooms, I'm guessing you are a prime guy. My favorite primes (that I own) are the DA* 300, DA 15 Ltd, and the F50/1.7. But, again what are you trying to shoot that you can't now?
03-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Everybody needs a fast normal prime. Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art.
03-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Everybody needs a fast normal prime. Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art.
30mm is WA, not normal...
03-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What the hell is normal, anyway?
03-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

On APSC it's normal.... 45mm equivalent. The OP has a 21mm so I know he's shooting APSC.
03-05-2020, 09:20 PM - 3 Likes   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What the hell is normal, anyway?
it's a setting on a washing machine...
03-06-2020, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Get a box brownie and learn composition and to see the light see it as a challenge to get 12 awesome pics from a fixed ultra basic camera. Will be cheap as chips and will be fun to get back to basics and will keep you occupied longer than some new piece of techno wizardry too
03-06-2020, 01:34 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Basically I've reached the point where I don't need anything...
Just say this to yourself ten or twenty times a day. I wish I had. And it also applies to all sorts of things outside photography.