Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
There is nothing wrong with storytelling when you have an audience waiting to be informed. The people you capture might even be pleased to know their story is being told. Without that audience there is nothing to be gained and I would have had problems justifying taking any shot too.
The only thing I'd add here is, sometimes the audience doesn't even know it exists and needs to be informed. Photographers may see an event and feel that it needs to be documented because there's a potential audience that will appreciate or take value from it. This is the roll of the photographer as social documentarian and commentator...

03-25-2020, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The only thing I'd add here is, sometimes the audience doesn't even know it exists and needs to be informed. Photographers may see an event and feel that it needs to be documented because there's a potential audience that will appreciate or take value from it. This is the roll of the photographer as social documentarian and commentator...
You are right! That is a valuable addition.
03-28-2020, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was in downtown Toronto a few weeks ago (before the real advent of the Covid scare) and there was a large and dramatic demonstration of Tibetans against China. I took photos of the event but I didn't post any. The demonstrators were brave to even show their faces but given the state of facial recognition technology today I didn't want to add to their problems or those of their families back home. Last year in Santiago, Chile I took shots of a demonstration by people protesting their missing loved ones next to the Presidential Palace. I like the photos but for the same reason I won't post them. Sometimes I wonder whether we should be posting the faces of anyone we photograph - you never know how the images could be used at some future time.