Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 05:52 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When not to take a photo

Near where I live there was a huge queue outside the local CentreLink office (social security) which wound around the block. They were trying to honour the 2 metre social distancing rule which made it even longer. This was a scene which told a story. It's dramatic and historic. It evoked images of the 30s. The long line provided a range of compositional opportunities. I had my camera with me. Did I take a photo? No. I couldn't. These are people who've lost their jobs virtually overnight. They're people who live in my community who I would pass in the street every day or catch the bus with. I'm also lucky enough to have a job which allows me to work from home and have the confidence I'll still be paid next month, in six months or a year. What do real photojournalists do? This was a scene of overwhelming sadness. Why would I want to capture it? And it's only going to get worse.

03-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel for your country, every country is going through this, but just after the wild fires is like a punch in the gut. But you are tough and will get through this too. That was a tough decision, but probably right.
03-23-2020, 06:09 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
What do real photojournalists do?
It's only recently that people went to university to become journalists, or photojournalists, press credentials are not necessary. For certain professions, one becomes by doing.(getting a photo credit is a plus). A "real" or accredited PJ would compose the shot to the best extent possible. A real PJ would probably go and talk to some of the people in the crowd, see how they feel, get their names, in order to put some context to the captured image. Sometimes, this helps the PJ decide on how to present the image, to convey the "why" behind taking it in the first place.
Why would I want to capture it?
For the same reason that you presumably take interest in the work of other photojounalists, street photographers, etc. If so, it is because you recognize the humanity of individuals within a group, perhaps you empathize with them and want to capture that, to honor them. On the other hand, I can understand not wanting to take a picture for fear of exploiting the people in the scene.
And it's only going to get worse.
I wouldn't encourage that sort of thinking. A little healthy cynicism allows one ot prepare for a difficult situation, but one should never give in to despair.

Last edited by robgski; 03-31-2020 at 03:59 AM.
03-23-2020, 07:00 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's very personal. For the same reason I did not take pictures of the hurricane 2 years ago while others went bonkers taking pictures and videos of crying people going thru a pile of rubble that was a house 24 hours earlier. Instead of a camera I chose to use a chainsaw and help the very little I could. Same with the earthquakes 2 months go. Just think of other ways to help.

Thanks,

03-23-2020, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent topic. I am not a journalist, just an amateur photog. If I were where you were, I might have taken a picture, to record the event, just for me and not to share. However, most likely I wouldn't do it either, just as the OP said. If I was getting paid to document this and/or contribute to a story of this event, I imagine things would be quite different. In this, I agree with robgski points.
Some years ago, I took an extended workshop with a local landscape photog. After one of the shoots we did, we reviewed our images with the photog. At one point, he looked at one of my images and asked me a question I've not forgotten and am still struggling to answer. He said, 'what was your motivation for this image.' I paused, thought about it, and didn't have a good answer for him other that I just wanted to. It really gets down to why do we take photos. Honestly, if we thought about it, that same question applies here. Essentially, why would you take a photo of human suffering, or perhaps even why take a photo of anything? I’ll stop here because I believe I’d start talking about ‘mindful photography,’ and I don’t want to go there. So, I’ll just commend you for your awareness and compassion
03-23-2020, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I take a photo? No. I couldn't.
Glad to hear you're considering the situation of others, but I agree about recording the moment too. This is real, it is happening now and will continue on for quite some time yet. I would consider also that people may object more directly to having their image taken in the future, so now is probably the time to capture the scene, particularly if your reason for being out with a camera becomes 'non-essential' at some point down the track.

If you do take the picture, can you find a position that will allow use of a longer focal length with a shallower depth of field to blur the people enough whilst focusing on a Centrelink sign? If that's possible and the angle lets you capture a line of people in the background you might capture the scene if not the humanity of the moment being experienced by these people.

My 2c only of course.

Tas
03-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way back in the mid 70’s I was a journalism major in college, as most college student do, I changed my major. But some of my most memorable classes were in the School of Journalism, particularly photo journalism. I had a professor that had been an Army photographer in Vietnam and during the last week of the class he had a slide show of his work during the Vietnam War. His work was incredible and very moving. Photos showing a range of emotion. But a big difference was that he did not know the people he had in the frame. Also he hardened by war. A common thing with street shooters starting out is fear and nerves, the best ones get over that. Probably the same with a photojournalist, but anotger difference your experience and that of a photojournalist is it is their job. I know when I have been the official photographer it is easier to get right in someone’s face and they understand, many actually love it. In fact, if you have ever taken pictures of a politician or a General where you are the only photographer they will usually strike poses without your asking. Anyway, most people understand when it is your job, not all, but most.

03-23-2020, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
If you do take the picture, can you find a position that will allow use of a longer focal length with a shallower depth of field to blur the people enough whilst focusing on a Centrelink sign? If that's possible and the angle lets you capture a line of people in the background you might capture the scene if not the humanity of the moment being experienced by these people.
^^^ This for me too.^^^
Hi Francis, perhaps also, a photograph from behind ( not showing faces ) would also work. But for me, the photos that stick in my memory the most have the strongest emotional content. Recording history can be beautiful, but it can also be confronting. As long as the image is a true representation of the situation and not sensationalized in any way, it is a truth from a moment in time.
03-24-2020, 04:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What do real photojournalists do?
I see two main aspects:

a) need for documentary
If one of the few left "real" photojournalists takes a documentary image of this for a newspaper that is ok in my book. If 1,000 self declared internet geeks/influenzas do that for their narcisstic instagram accounts: not.

b) privacy

You can take a wide angle image in a moment and angle and distance where individual faces are difficult to identify to capture the scene. That I consider ok. If you do publish an image where uncessesarily the people are identifyable (and they did not agree to it) then the photographer is an ...hole.
03-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

A big part of a photojournalist's is to preserve a record for posterity. This means that one keeps some emotional (and physical) distance from the subject, not always easy as in this case. I think you made the right decision.
03-24-2020, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
A big part of a photojournalist's is to preserve a record for posterity. This means that one keeps some emotional (and physical) distance from the subject, not always easy as in this case. I think you made the right decision.
Good photographs have a strong emotional impact. Why not take the picture and put it away for a time. A photograph with too much impact now might be a good historical record in a year or so. If its too strong then hit delete.
03-24-2020, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Yes it is a personal question!!!!!
My opinion is if the reason for you taking the photo is "PURE" than it would be OK, but if its for "UN PURE" reasons than it is not. You will be the one that ultimately makes that determination. Your decision tells us a lot about your character👍
03-24-2020, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Near where I live there was a huge queue outside the local CentreLink office (social security) which wound around the block. They were trying to honour the 2 metre social distancing rule which made it even longer. This was a scene which told a story. It's dramatic and historic. It evoked images of the 30s. The long line provided a range of compositional opportunities. I had my camera with me. Did I take a photo? No. I couldn't. These are people who've lost their jobs virtually overnight. They're people who live in my community who I would pass in the street every day or catch the bus with. I'm also lucky enough to have a job which allows me to work from home and have the confidence I'll still be paid next month, in six months or a year. What do real photojournalists do? This was a scene of overwhelming sadness. Why would I want to capture it? And it's only going to get worse.
I totally understand you not wanting to photograph the scene. You have a caring compassionate heart, it's clear.

As to why you might want to capture it (well, not you personally, but any photographer who chooses to do so)... a well-taken photograph of this scene, captured to tell a story, might be of significant potential value in provoking thought amongst those of us who have it a little easier, either now or in better times, and as an educational resource for future generations to understand the mood and difficulties of the era. Aside from capturing personal hardship, it documents a world, nations and supply chains that weren't prepared for a pandemic of this type and scale. In 20+ years, kids at school and college will learn about this event. Powerful photos will be important in telling the story. I'm reminded of photos I've seen documenting queues for food in the old Soviet Union... These aren't just images of people in hardship, but tell part of a bigger story that's incredibly valuable and deserves to be remembered.

I do realise that capturing scenes like this wouldn't be for every one of us. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel about it myself, especially since I doubt I'd be able to do it justice. But I understand why some photographers not only can take these photos, but feel compelled to do so...
03-24-2020, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A photojournalist is fearless in their coverage, Officiousbystander, there will be confrontations in getting the pics that nail zeitgeist, it's why the good ones deserve all our admiration.

One of the very best is James Nachtwey:

See Inside the Worst Opioid Addiction Crisis in U.S. History | Time
03-24-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I completely understand the dilemma. When I am taking pictures as a hobby I am reluctant, even shy to even take a picture of a person I don't know. As a journalist, creating video, radio and photo's, I have to cover the story too the best of my ability. I would take a long teleshot compressing the line of people to convey the message of large amount of people standing in line. And probably some wide angle shots in front and up close of those people to give my viewers an image to relate too.

And yes, I would try to interview some of them and ask what job they lost and the impact on their life's to complete the story. And although I would leave that scene feeling a little bit depressed I would simultaneously feel good about being able to tell their story in such a way that gave others insight in what is happening.

I am covering the pandemic at the moment and I am considering making arrangements covering a funeral home. If there is a story worthwhile telling I will tell it. But alway's in good taste, without sensationalizing it and when vulnerable people are involved I will consult with them. There is nothing wrong with storytelling when you have an audience waiting to be informed. The people you capture might even be pleased to know their story is being told. Without that audience there is nothing to be gained and I would have had problems justifying taking any shot too.