Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2020, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

COVID-19 in San Francsico

My son just found that image on Reddit
COYOVID-19 : bayarea

I could not find out which camera was used. Most probably smart phone. But anyway such an image was not possible to make previously.

---------- Post added 03-30-20 at 08:10 AM ----------

Actually comments under the post indicate that even normally coyotes are often guests at this place because of tourists feeding them. But I never saw I such a creature there.

Last edited by jumbleview; 03-30-2020 at 08:05 AM.
03-30-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Poor thing, it may have heard a "Beep Beep" in the bridge and thought the road runner was there...
03-30-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Actually comments under the post indicate that even normally coyotes are often guests at this place because of tourists feeding them. But I never saw I such a creature there.
Coyotes and many other animals are often more common in cities than we would think. I have seen both coyotes and raccoons in downtown Portland, Oregon late at night and beaver crossing the road in the near suburbs. Much depends on proximity of wooded spaces. My home is near the boundary of suburbs and a large expanse of mixed woodlands and agriculture; and every year or so there are reports of cougar sightings in the general neighborhood. So far, however, there are no bears.

Steve
03-30-2020, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Coyotes and many other animals are often more common in cities than we would think. Steve
Yes, I read about that (but never saw myself). But anyway wild creature in front of the iconic bridge and at the place, which is normally crowded, looks apocalyptic. At least that how I feel.

03-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

She looks well fed.
03-30-2020, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

We don't have coyotes in the UK, but in London (and other UK towns & cities) we have many urban foxes - there's probably a fox den at the end of the cul-de-sac beside our house. Normally, you only know they are there because of the (very loud!) mating calls in the early morning hours during the early part of the year - and because the previous rat-infestation now seems to have been reduced (presumably the foxes have "got 'em") - but, a week or so ago, I saw a (rather "underfed"!) fox running down our road at around 10am in the morning!
03-30-2020, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coyotes are very smart and very able to live in suburban and even urban environments. I'm sure they are all over the place in the Marin area where this shot was. They certainly are in the Utah suburbs. If you have cats or small dogs and in live in/near the foothills, they are at risk from coyotes.

That said, cool photo to get one like that in daylight with the bridge in the background.

03-30-2020, 11:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

We don't have coyotes in the UK, but in London (and other UK towns & cities) we have many urban foxes - there's probably a fox den at the end of the cul-de-sac beside our house. Normally, you only know they are there because of the (very loud!) mating calls in the early morning hours during the early part of the year - and because the previous rat-infestation now seems to have been reduced (presumably the foxes have "got 'em") - but, a week or so ago, I saw a (rather "underfed"!) fox running down our road at around 10am in the morning!
03-31-2020, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They live in the woods behind my house. I saw one trying to sneak up on some turkeys hanging near our feeder one day. It got a little concerned when the turkeys started coming towards him instead of running away. I think it realized that 5 to 1 weren’t very good odds.
07-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
Banned

oh.. poor thing that's sad
07-15-2020, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JessicaBower Quote
oh.. poor thing that's sad
Welcome to Pentax Forums, JessicaBower. You might wish to formally introduce yourself in the Welcomes and Introductions thread.
07-16-2020, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Coyotes and many other animals are often more common in cities than we would think. I have seen both coyotes and raccoons in downtown Portland, Oregon late at night and beaver crossing the road in the near suburbs. Much depends on proximity of wooded spaces. My home is near the boundary of suburbs and a large expanse of mixed woodlands and agriculture; and every year or so there are reports of cougar sightings in the general neighborhood. So far, however, there are no bears.

Steve
Sleater-Kinney have a song inspired by this called "Light Rail Coyote."
07-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
My son lives in Richmond, he often has foxes trigger his security camera. We live in the desert and coyotes are pretty common here, along with the occasional bobcat and feral donkeys,