Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Apple and oranges really....

I recently was looking out for a backup camera for my cycling tour.
The type of camera that if my K1 breaks down, I can continue to take photos and not regret too much that the IQ was too far behind to make it a wasted trip.

All said... the RX100III fits my needs since I don't really need the better AF and 4K video of newer models.
IQ gets close to m43 and is better than my Q7.

The RX100III is much smaller than any APSC camera and its portability and hence how its carried/used will be different.
Its also very straightforward in that its just turn on an use w/o needing to consider changing lenses.

All said though, I settled on "manning up" and bringing my A7 with K mount adapter as the backup that I'd not touch unless the K1 broke down

04-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #17
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
Hello,
Let' me first say that I love Pentax and I love my K1. However, I recently dropped my K1 and while its getting repaired, I've had some time to think about what to do for a backup camera.

While I love my K1, it isn't a party camera and my friends won't touch it considering everyone is used to their phones for pictures.

So I've been considering a high end P&S. I've been eyeing the Sony RX100 MK7 P&S and the specs are pretty nice. I love that the screen can be used to take Selfies and that it is small/light and AF is fast, and a 24-200mm lens. Very nice. It also has a nice little built in view finder.

I recently rented the Ricoh GRIII and while I like the size/fit, I wasn't real keen on the fixed lens, fixed screen, and no EFV so its difficult to shot images in bright light.

So this brings me back to my original question...Would any of you K-70 users that that I could use the K-70 with a wide angle lens and use it as a large P&S?
- It has built in flash if I need it
- It is small enough to fit in one hand
- It has the articulating screen (group) selfies
- and I can use any of my DA and FA lens on it as a real backup to my K1.

Price wise
GRIII $900
Sony RX100 MK7 $1300
K-70 $650 (new) $400 used

Note 1: As a hobby I mainly shoot Macro with my K1 and I feel like heavy cameras are easier to keep steady. So I'm weary of a light P&S, but I know I could get used to a light camera...
Note 2: I have short hands so I'll need to find a wide lens for the K-70 with a very short focusing distance.

OK. I'll take any criticism, encouragement, or questions.

Thanks!

Rodney
Well, have you thought of something completely different? A real "point & shoot"? One that is also able to serve as a back-up, be it with some limitations. And it will perfectly fit with your hands. I would go for a Panasonic LX. Many years ago when I had only my Samsung GX-10 and a lovely Fuji 5000s, that both will not fit into a jacket or trouser pocket, I bought a Panasonic LX3. They have landed on LX 15 and the two with a bigger sensor LX100 and LX100 II. They are very affordable I think, especially now there is the LX100 II and prices dropped of the two earlier models. The LX series deliver very high IQ, make use of Leica lenses and are lovely to look at, a pleasure to hold in your hand and pocketable. But I have to advice against the Sony., it is expensive and to be honest, I had one for a day, it delivers horrible jpg and very good RAW. (it means that you always have to PP before you can show the results to others.) But a Panasonic LX is simpler to use if you are used to Pentax. As a second option I would advice any affordable Ricoh/Pentax and that gives you the opportunity to use all your Pentax glass. The latter two deliver both very good jpg and raw.

Upon reading other entrances: Buy a yellow (yes: yellow) K-01, it is a terrific mirrorless camera. As it really stands out in a crowd of phone-photographers it is more like a party animal and your friends will love to caress it and will not be scared that it is in fact a Pentax!
I own one myself and I hear a lot of ooh's and aah's when other people see it. If you put 40mm XS or limited on it and you have large pockets, it is even pocketable! But seriously, it is a great camera and it easy to handle. It looks simple if you look at the lay out on top and on the back, but it has some tricks up its sleeve that is typically Pentaxic!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-03-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention acquiring a K-01.
04-03-2020, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based upon how I approach things:
  • If you just need something to bide you over until the K-1 gets back from repair, almost any smart phone will do.
  • If need a pocketable compact for snapshots, almost any smart phone will do.
  • If you did not get on with the rental GRIII, the GRIII will not do.
  • If you need a K-mount compatible backup for your K-1, mirrorless options (possible exception of K-01) will be badly lacking.
  • If price is a consideration and all of the above points make sense, get a K-70.
  • If price is not a consideration and all of the above points make sense, get a KP.
Edit: I seem to have not provided a bullet point for the RX 100...oh, well.

Steve

(...am seriously wishing to be someone who has difficulty spending money...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-03-2020 at 09:14 AM.
04-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based upon how I approach things:
  • If you need a K-mount compatible backup for your K-1, mirrorless options (possible exception of K-01) will be badly lacking.

Steve
That's actually quite a good point, get a (yellow!) K-01 stick a 21 or a 15 to it, use manual/hyperfocal range and fire away on your parties!

04-03-2020, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-70 vs P&S (Sony RX100 Mk7, GRIII or K-70)

I have a K-1ii and a K-70. I would tend to agree with Papa_Joe. The K-70 would not work well as a P&S. Too big and bulky.

For those occasions when you want a good camera but need it to fit in a pocket, I use a Sony a5000. I picked it up used from KEH for $175 body only. It had a shutter count of 5500 when I got it. If I had it to do over again I'd have to get an a6000 as it has an EVF where the a5000 doesn't and that little 16-50mm does a pretty good job. My initial intent was to use my M42 lenses on it, but a friend found a Sony 16-50mm and gave it to me and I haven't put an M42 lens on the camera since. My smallest M42 is a Takumar 24mm. The 16-50mm has very good auto focus and a power zoom like a P&S would have as well as built-in lens IS.

The beauty of the a5000 or a6000 is that they are very small and take very good photos for their size. If you watch KEH you could find a deal on one with the 16-50mm lens included. It can be used in auto mode or however you want to. Their screen flips up so it would be good for selfie's if that is what you're looking for. And once again it will fit in a pocket so it is perfect if you don't want bulky.
04-04-2020, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #21

Buy a K-70 and get other friends.
04-04-2020, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I appreciate how much experience and variety there is in these forums...you guys are great!

Confirmed today that K1 is off to the factory for repairs. so I need a backup for now...

The plan is...
1. To repair the k1mkII unless repair costs exceed $700. If more, I’ll simply replace it with a new mkii.
2. Tomorrow, I’ll Pick up the used k70 for $400 that my local camera shop has.
3. Since I won’t be doing any traveling until late this year if at all,I have plenty of time to decide if k70 works sufficiently as a fun party camera..

I have the 10-17 fisheye so I’ll start with it..

I’m feeling better after y’all’s input...so thanks!

Lol...I’m 50, so my crazy party days are over, but it’ll be nice to have a backup camera I don’t have to guard from any of my klutzy guests.

Regards,
Rodney

04-27-2020, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone for your feedback. Based on the feedback I get here, I picked up the K-70 used and I'm very happy with it as a backup camera! Nice, and I'm really digging the live view using the articulating screen. Very nice. I'm also amazed how quick the camera is. Plus I have a handful of old glass that hasn't been used in some time from my IstD days. Again, thank you. Now I'm off to post on what I should do about repaiting my K1.
04-27-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I want to thank everyone for your feedback. Based on the feedback I get here, I picked up the K-70 used and I'm very happy with it as a backup camera! Nice, and I'm really digging the live view using the articulating screen. Very nice. I'm also amazed how quick the camera is. Plus I have a handful of old glass that hasn't been used in some time from my IstD days. Again, thank you. Now I'm off to post on what I should do about repaiting my K1.
Great to hear a success story
04-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad it works for you!

Those shooters that haven't used a K70 but still dismiss it out of hand are selling it short unfairly IMO. TBH I find it to be a better all-around camera than the KP for reasons I've stated before.

BTW I was able to snag another K-70 two weeks ago with an 18-55 AND and an extended 3-year warranty for under $500. Gotta act fast!

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-27-2020 at 05:28 PM.