Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2020, 12:39 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Useful diagram to share

I'm trying flash photography now and find this diagram very interesting/useful.
What about you guys, any diagram you find interesting and want to share ?

source: Behind The Shutter

Attached Images

Last edited by redcat; 04-04-2020 at 08:33 PM.
04-03-2020, 03:13 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, here's one for the beginner's section. While, for digital photography, "sensitivity" should probably be "(applied) gain", the practical implications get clear enough IMO. As photographers who have internalized and put to use these basic concepts of the exposure triangle for decades, we tend to forget how difficult to grasp and remember they are for many newbies who simply want to take good photos, without being willing to dig all that deep into technical matters or the physics of it.
Attached Images

04-03-2020, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'll take any help I can get

please keep this stuff going
04-03-2020, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I'm trying flash photography now and find this diagram very interesting/useful.
What about you guys, any diagram you find interesting and want to share ?
Where'd you get it - it's always a good practice to provide a citation and give credit. You'd want the same if I used your photos ;-)

04-04-2020, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In an attempt to revive a thread that I knew would struggle to compete against threads in the die-hard "Bizarre fruit of my LBA" or "Why I had to leave Pentax" vein, to mention just two evergreens, here's more.

These two illustrate the double-the-distance method for maximizing DOF by informed guessing, without having to resort to unreliable distance scales on lenses nor unpractical hyperfocal distance charts.

Of course, they shouldn't go without attribution to Spencer Cox over at Photography Life: https://photographylife.com/landscapes/double-the-distance-method-explained

Spencer has also written another article which digs a little deeper into the rationale behind that focusing method: https://photographylife.com/why-hyperfocal-distance-charts-are-wrong
Attached Images

04-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote

These two illustrate the double-the-distance method for maximizing DOF by informed guessing, without having to resort to unreliable distance scales on lenses nor unpractical hyperfocal distance charts.
An interesting method indeed, thanks for sharing

---------- Post added 04-05-20 at 04:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Where'd you get it - it's always a good practice to provide a citation and give credit. You'd want the same if I used your photos ;-)
I added the source, i dont remember exactly what video it's from but the channel has many good videos so worth check them all out
04-05-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diagrams like this one, even simplified as they are, have helped me to get a better sense of how a (FF) camera's horizontal angle of view differs from the average human's, and to understand that what the camera "sees" through a standard lens is actually quite different from the way we humans see:

Source: https://pixelcraft.photo.blog/2019/08/16/is-the-eye-equivalent-to-a-50mm-lens/

Attached Images

04-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

and to understand that what the camera "sees" through a standard lens is actually quite different from the way we humans see
The idea behind a standard lens is not to mimic human vision (e.g. by approaching the same field of view) but to create images that will show an undistorted perspective when viewed from a distance that is equal to the viewed image diagonal.

Standard (or "normal") lenses therefore need to have a focal length that is identical (or close to) the sensor diagonal. Nothing to do with human vision.
04-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The idea behind a standard lens is not to mimic human vision (e.g. by approaching the same field of view) but to create images that will show an undistorted perspective when viewed from a distance that is equal to the viewed image diagonal.Standard (or "normal") lenses therefore need to have a focal length that is identical (or close to) the sensor diagonal. Nothing to do with human vision.

Exactly. I was hoping the actually in my post would convey a sense of 'contrary to popular belief'. And actually the differences between human and camera vision are much more complex than the diagram would suggest, but I still found it helpful enough to share.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-23-2020 at 12:14 AM.
04-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

And actually the differences between human and camera vision are much more complex than the diagram would suggest, but I still found it helpful enough to share.
Definitely, on both counts.
04-23-2020, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I got this from a PF post - the file date is 2011. Somewhere on the internet is a video from a series, I think called The Art of the Image or some such, in which the somewhat whiny host overlaid all these 35mm variants with a much larger 4x5 neg and sniffed at the thought of "fullframe"... (I, and others, called him Tard of the Image for one of his Pentax reviews).

Relative Sensor size

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-06-2020 at 10:54 PM.