Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

CS mount varifocal CCTV lens usage in photography.

Hello all, I am not sure if this right section, but guess this is kind of troubleshooting.

Long story short I managed to get few decent security cameras from a shop that was closing down for renovation, but they cont have regular C Mount lenses, they have a bit more advanced varifocal CS-mount lenses and as far as I understand they have manual options for zoom and focus, but the aperture is controlled automatically or at least is closed when the camera is disconnected.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with CS-mount lenses, I know regular C mount ones are quite popular, but I never heard of CS-mount up until now.

I seem to two lenses:
Spacecom 2.7-12mm F1.2
Tamron 2.8-12mm F1.4

A neat little lens with connector what plugs into the camera itself.

Are they worth the trouble adapting to DSLR, have someone tried to use electronics in the lens? It seems like a 4 pin connector. That 1.2 and 1.4 aperture sounds quite nice if it can be used.
I did not find direct adapters from CS-mount, but there are a lot of CS to C mount adapters quite cheap.

I do kind of feel it is better to sell them together with cameras and buy some random manual focus lens to play around. But any info would be appreciated.

Attached Images

04-03-2020, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

C and CS mount lenses are designed to produce a small image circle, somewhere around 18-22mm, for a so-called 1/3 inch sensor, that typically has at most 640x480 or 720x512 pixels.

These lenses usually won't illuminate an APS-C or 35mm FF sensor to the edges.
I wouldn't waste your time.
04-03-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have a Pentax Q, it might work. On an APS-C or bigger sensor, not really. Besides image circle, there is also the distance between lens and sensor to consider.
04-03-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docucat Quote
Hello all, I am not sure if this right section, but guess this is kind of troubleshooting.

Long story short I managed to get few decent security cameras from a shop that was closing down for renovation, but they cont have regular C Mount lenses, they have a bit more advanced varifocal CS-mount lenses and as far as I understand they have manual options for zoom and focus, but the aperture is controlled automatically or at least is closed when the camera is disconnected.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with CS-mount lenses, I know regular C mount ones are quite popular, but I never heard of CS-mount up until now.

I seem to two lenses:
Spacecom 2.7-12mm F1.2
Tamron 2.8-12mm F1.4

A neat little lens with connector what plugs into the camera itself.

Are they worth the trouble adapting to DSLR, have someone tried to use electronics in the lens? It seems like a 4 pin connector. That 1.2 and 1.4 aperture sounds quite nice if it can be used.
I did not find direct adapters from CS-mount, but there are a lot of CS to C mount adapters quite cheap.

I do kind of feel it is better to sell them together with cameras and buy some random manual focus lens to play around. But any info would be appreciated.
Hi Docucat,

I'd say forget about it if you're really thinking about DSLR (or any interchangeable lens cameras other than Pentax Q and Samsung NX mini). Even if you use Pentax Q or NX mini, quite likely you need some machining on your own.

General rule of thumb is that if your camera's flange focal distance (i.e. the distance from the sensor to the lens mount) is shorter than that of the lens system's (in this case CS mount's) you could in principle use the lens on your camera by adding some kind of shim, which is basically what the lens "adapters" are. K mount's flange focal distance of 45.46mm is much longer than that of CS mount's ~12.5mm.

BTW, C mount flange focal distance is 5mm larger than CS, i.e. CS to C mount "adapters" are for using C mount lenses on CS mount security cameras, not the other way.

04-04-2020, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #5

A C-S lens could be used on a Pentax Q, the problem is to find a "C-S lens to Q" ring adapter.
There are plenty of "C lens to Q" adapters but I never found a "C-S lens to Q" one on €bay.

C mount register is 17.526mm, C-S mount register is 12.526mm, Q register is 9.2mm.
Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

You may want to 3D-print a custom adapter, then there is a useful link : C & CS Lens to PENTAX Q mount adapter by nameless911 - Thingiverse
04-04-2020, 01:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Nice that people have figured out 3D printing lens adapters, that is actually a brilliant idea, considering I have some spare parts they could be made into some lens but need to get my printer first

Anyway, thanks for the answers, I guess they are not worth it, the smaller focal distance is not a big problem as the idea was already to use them for macro or experiment a bit, but I already have lenses for that.
Considered I got them for really cheap I can buy some interesting manual focus lens from eBay if I manage to sell them. And for DIY work I already have broken lens parts as well, would be waste to break open working one.