Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Vintage camera gear

Hello, except for the major camera stores and ebay, does anyone know of a good site to buy used vintage cameras/lenses?

Thanks!

04-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try KEH, they carry some vintage gear, not always Pentax though.

KEH has a good return policy (if returned within 14 days, no questions asked and refund of monies including shipping if any, and a warranty of 180 days.

A bit of what they sell:

https://www.keh.com/shop/cameras/film-cameras.html

Last edited by photolady95; 04-11-2020 at 12:01 AM.
04-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Try KEH, they carry some vintage gear, not always Pentax though.

KEH has a good return policy (if returned within 14 days, no questions asked and refund of monies including shipping if any, and a warranty of 180 days.

A bit of what they sell:

Used Film Camera Store Online | Buy & Sell Cameras With Film at KEH Camera
Thanks photolady, yes I have been buying from KEH since '88 when I bought my first Canon L series lenses from them. I actually just picked up a NIkon camera body from them a couple of weeks ago. They are the best out there for sure. Super nice staff too.

I guess Im looking for the 'secret' used trade/websites, other than the main stores; B&H (overpriced now on used gear), Adorama...etc
04-11-2020, 01:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Usedphotopro.com is a good place to check out

04-11-2020, 01:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Usedphotopro.com is a good place to check out
Cool thanks disconnekt!
04-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also try robertscamera.com. They are super nice and have a good return policy.
04-11-2020, 02:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Also try robertscamera.com. They are super nice and have a good return policy.
Thanks! I have bought from him on ebay.

04-11-2020, 04:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don’t mind taking a chance shopgoodwill and Mercari. Shopgoodwill usually has vague descriptions and poor photos, and things often sell way over value, oh and no returns. Mercari is a craigslist with shipping. MPB has added Pentax, but nothing I would consider vintage.
04-11-2020, 05:06 AM   #9
Inactive Account

because I am in Japan so I use japanese site. this one is one of the best I know. they have products from stores all over Japan.
J-????????????????????????
04-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ifly65 Quote
Thanks photolady, yes I have been buying from KEH since '88 when I bought my first Canon L series lenses from them. I actually just picked up a NIkon camera body from them a couple of weeks ago. They are the best out there for sure. Super nice staff too.

I guess Im looking for the 'secret' used trade/websites, other than the main stores; B&H (overpriced now on used gear),

Adorama...etc
You're welcome, though I didn't know you knew about KEH. It looks like you in good hands here, so I'll back off and let the more interested in film gear help you.
04-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Amazon has some used camera gear too.
04-11-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ifly65 Quote
Hello, except for the major camera stores and ebay, does anyone know of a good site to buy used vintage cameras/lenses?
I've had good success at our Marketplace here. The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

Not really a "secret" place, but there are plenty of items for sale.

- Craig
04-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends where you live, but I've had really good luck finding used gear at local camera stores. You can try the gear out and if you find an issue return it. Also prices tend to be cheaper and no shipping costs.

They'll also do layaway's on more expensive gear.

Phil.
04-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You're welcome, though I didn't know you knew about KEH. It looks like you in good hands here, so I'll back off and let the more interested in film gear help you.
No problem, you are not alone in suggesting KEH. I used to talk to them on the phone when they were only a few years old. They have really grown. I check them first. Also B&H and Adorama. B&H started with three page ads growing to 21 pages by '90 in popular photography magazine.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Depends where you live, but I've had really good luck finding used gear at local camera stores. You can try the gear out and if you find an issue return it. Also prices tend to be cheaper and no shipping costs.

They'll also do layaway's on more expensive gear.

Phil.
Yeah, Its a bummer. Im a pro that started in the 80's with film. I eventually shot for Budweiser racing, beer stills etc. St. Louis had a few of the best camera stores and labs for decades.. As a kid assistant I would have to visit these stores and labs everyday for rentals and developing for my mentors at the commercial studios.

Today...these stores are all gone. Schillers, Creve Coure Camera and Non-Parel labs, not mention a few smaller stores I have forgotten the names of. I hope this isn't a trend for other cities. I miss film and camera stores.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:38 AM ----------

Thanks Jl, this info is perfect for lockdown. I am really into used lenses right now for some reason. Camera bodies...they come and go, but a lens is a masterpiece, a work of art that you never want to part with.

This forum is great! Thanks everyone for the quick info.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I've had good success at our Marketplace here. The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

Not really a "secret" place, but there are plenty of items for sale.

- Craig
Yeah Craig, this site has some nice Tamrons adaptall 2's for sale that work with my gear. I started out with Pentax in the 70's. I have seen some really impressive Pentax mfg lens shots in the reviews. I think the Pentax Forums reviews are better than DP!

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Amazon has some used camera gear too.
Tuco, this I did not know. Thanks, you have helped contribute to a thinning wallet! This forum has provided me with weeks worth of fun. Thanks again everyone.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you don’t mind taking a chance shopgoodwill and Mercari. Shopgoodwill usually has vague descriptions and poor photos, and things often sell way over value, oh and no returns. Mercari is a craigslist with shipping. MPB has added Pentax, but nothing I would consider vintage.
Wow, another night full of fun. I had no idea about these either! Thanks rb.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
because I am in Japan so I use japanese site. this one is one of the best I know. they have products from stores all over Japan.
J-????????????????????????
Thanks! Ive been watching some Nikon bodies in mint condition from MAP on ebay. Its tempting for sure.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 12:10 PM ----------

Wow National Camera Exchange has a lot of used. It looks like they are up in MN where I am originally from. Thanks again.

Last edited by ifly65; 04-11-2020 at 11:56 AM.