Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photography business

So i was thinking about making some money with my photo gear but i need a catchy name for my business. How about "Cheap Shot Photography"? Any thoughts?

04-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
So i was thinking about making some money with my photo gear but i need a catchy name for my business. How about "Cheap Shot Photography"? Any thoughts?
It's not advisable to have the word "cheap" in a business name for any business that cannot be scaled, such as a pro photographer or other personal service type business where main production rests with one individual.

I'm reminded of a saying used in referenced to a variety of business, "The way to make a small fortune as a photographer is to start with a large fortune."
04-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, putting the word "cheap" in your business name is a sure way to make the business fail.
04-13-2020, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's not advisable to have the word "cheap" in a business name for any business that cannot be scaled, such as a pro photographer or other personal service type business where main production rests with one individual.

I'm reminded of a saying used in referenced to a variety of business, "The way to make a small fortune as a photographer is to start with a large fortune."
Indeed!

How about "Shot in the Dark Photography"?

Or, for spray-and-prayers: how about "Shotgun Photography"?

Or a play on the last name: "Schriving to be the Best Photographer"?

All jokes aside, Googling any prospective "catchy name" can help make sure the lawyers of another photographer don't send a nastygram.

04-13-2020, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap Shot Photography
Catchy. It implies you will be the low cost and low quality provider. If that's your intent then sure go ahead.

I always loved the sign on the brake shop down the road: "Cheapest brakes in town, we will not be undersold." Guess how many brakes I bought there................

As @photoptimist says, whatever name you select make sure you check that it is legally available. Your state's website will have a "Search for a business name" function someplace. And after you select (a legal) name make sure you register it with your state. Unless you intend to start an LLC or corporation it will likely be registered as an "Assumed Business Name". But check your state regs.
04-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was really trying to attract an upbeat clientele with a sense of humor. I even thought some of the people here might even get a laugh.. Tough crowd..
04-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The name of your business should reflect what makes you different or special. The problem with Cheap Shot is that it has another meaning, sort of like a sucker punch. Why not something more like Photographer for Cheap.

Most photographers base their business on their reputation and style, and especially if you're an independent contractor, then just using your name for the business says you stand behind your work.

04-14-2020, 12:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was really trying to attract an upbeat clientele with a sense of humor. I even thought some of the people here might even get a laugh.. Tough crowd..
The trouble with "humorous" names is that they often don't travel too well and at different times elicit different reactions. Also, the name normally needs to endure. A quick Google came up with Cheap Shot Photography who claim to have been trading for 20 years in the US, so maybe I'm talking rubbish, again
04-14-2020, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

How about "You're Shot-Out-Of-Luck!"?
04-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
. . . As @photoptimist says, whatever name you select make sure you check that it is legally available. Your state's website will have a "Search for a business name" function someplace. And after you select (a legal) name make sure you register it with your state. Unless you intend to start an LLC or corporation it will likely be registered as an "Assumed Business Name". But check your state regs.
yeah

remember NBC selection of and use of a new national logo a stylized capital " N "

and the successful lawsuit brought against NBC by the Nebraska Public Television folks

QuoteQuote:
. . . The Nebraska commission contends it adopted the stylized N on May 8, 1975, and has used it since June 8, 1975. The symbol was registered with the Secretary of State's office Jan. 30, the suit said.

The suit alleged that NBC has, since Jan. 1, used a symbol “which is identical to or so rearly [sic ] similar to the Nebraska logo as to create a likelihood of confusion to the public and to dilute the value and distinctness of the Nebraska mark.”. . .
Nebraska Educational TV Sues NBC Over Use of the N Symbol - The New York Times
04-14-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Cheap Shot Photography"
It will come back to haunt you later...

When you can't charge professional rates for the service you provide... even to the point of getting the going rates for your work.
04-14-2020, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Closed Account

i need a catchy name for my business.
How's about " Mega-PIXIES R Us "..............................................
04-14-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Unregistered User

Lots of very good advice already posted. One more observation: people often look back and which they hadn't saddled themselves with a name that limits their progress. Think of your business as having been very successful for ten or fifteen years, and think, what would you want people to think of your business at that time. Pick a name that represents where you want to be, not where you are now. You want people to think you're there already, so it has to be "respectable" from their perspective. I see this as part of the principle, "act like you know what you're doing and everyone will think you do."
04-14-2020, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I would say no to Cheap Shot as a professional name. Maybe...

Don't Blink Photography
Rich People Photography
Rectangular Photography
Fleece the Flock Photography
What's This Button Photography
Don't Worry Photography
No Video Photography
Why Me Photography
Yeah Right Photography
Say What Photography
Undelete Photography
Yours Truly Photography
One Shot Photography
Like It or Leave It Photography

Good luck!

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-14-2020 at 04:27 PM.
04-14-2020, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #15

Hold off on the name and take some classes online on how to start and run a photography business. I am currently enrolled in Sue Bryce Education, and she covers various aspects of running a profitable photography business. Her main focus is teaching photographers how to actually make money with their work. So, besides the nuts and bolts of how to use your camera she covers things like posing (extensively, even hands), studio setup, marketing, sales, SEO for photographers and even self help seminars for photographers who don't value their work so they sell too cheap. You can sign up for a month for only $35, or a year for $299. IMO it is worth way more than that. She also has weekly live sessions right now, and I am looking forward to today's session. And by the way, I don't do Sue Bryce style photography. Comprehensive Portrait Photography Training | Sue Bryce Education

Last edited by Joe Dusel; 04-14-2020 at 10:23 AM.