Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2020, 03:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The I'm Back website specifies the sensor as a Panasonic 34112.

But I cannot find this sensor on the Panasonic website. Here is Panasonic's list of still camera sensors :

Image Sensors for Broadcasting and Digital Still Camera - Industrial Devices & Solutions - Panasonic

It does however list a MN34120 which it describes as a 16 MPx with 1/2.33 optical size. Could that be a misprint on the I'm Back website?

04-16-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Conceptually, I like the idea of converting an older film body into modern digital. But I think in reality it's too little too late. It reminds me of my old Pentax 1.7x teleconverter/AF adapter that I bought in 1991 so I could use my M-series glass as AF glass on my new PZ-1 (yeah, it was a okay teleconverter too but it's appeal was the AF function). It was a novel idea but short lived. It's ability to turn manual glass into AF glass was quickly eclipsed by the reality that AF glass soon became not only available but also affordable. Today, there are so many inexpensive digital camera options available, I don't see a market beyond nostalgia for this product. But maybe that is the market. A few years ago, original Sony Walkman's became all the rage once again at my kid's high school, orange foam covered headphones and all. Thank goodness I still had a couple of them in an old box of electronics. Go figure.
You might be interested to know that the "short-lived" Pentax-F 1.7xAF teleconverter was in manufacture for 10 years and was still available new 20 years after you bought yours (which is about when I bought mine). The point was that there were few new Pentax lenses available in the longer focal lengths at that time, and some of the secondhand ones were priced well above what many (probably most) of us were willing to pay at the time. So, some of my older MF glass was made more useful by the appearance of that little gem, and it doesn't work too badly on my K-1 with the new D FA70-210/4.

So, although we're comparing apples and oranges here, the common thread is that you can put old gear back to work with the addition of a new gadget, if you choose to do so. I won't repeat the pros and cons of this digital back that others have presented perfectly adequately. Suffice it to say that you can do something different with your old film bodies if you think the expenditure justifies it, and that's purely a value judgment for the individual to make. Nonetheless, I think we all should be thankful that someone's got the ingenuity, patience and ability to produce this thing, because, as much as most of us won't buy one, you never know who may be inspired to make something better, whether it's a full-frame sensor version of this or something completely different.
04-16-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'M BACK ... is back yet again ?!

From DPReview ... I'm Back returns to Kickstarter with updated I'm Back 35 digital back for old 35mm SLRs: Digital Photography Review

It would be fun and I like the Spottie image with THE BACK.

04-16-2020, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Already being discussed here: Turn your film camera into a digital camera for $249 - PentaxForums.com

04-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
How in the heck do you actually hold the camera? That looks very uncomfortable to hand hold, its just for tripod mount?
04-16-2020, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
OK ... thanks. Had not yet seen this thread.

Maybe this one should be deleted or moved ...

I just really like THE BACK on the Pentax Spotmatic.

For me, that's enough to get me excited ...
04-16-2020, 08:24 AM - 3 Likes   #37

Threads merged.

04-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Threads merged.
Merci !
04-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Pentax-F 1.7xAF teleconverter it doesn't work too badly on my K-1 with the new D FA70-210/4.

please be more specific in the description, I have Pentax F x1,7AF and K1, I own Pentax FA80-320 / 4,5-5,6 and sometimes I play with K1 +Pentax FA smc 135-550/8 (telephoto lens: Pentax FA smc 135-550/8 - PentaxForums.com), it is my great wish that my first next purchase is the DFA70-210 / 4, I am interested in the first hand experience of the DFA70-210 / 4 + F x1,7AF on the K1
04-16-2020, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
If only somone would do a digital version of an OM1 or MX ie small with actual knobs eg works just like a film camera. i wouldnt even want a screen on the back just digital capture, no video, no histograms, memory to take 36 pics so cheap on the chip front. Sighs.
If a rangefinder suits, Leica will sell you an M10-D... cheap however, it is not!

---------- Post added 04-16-20 at 05:51 PM ----------

I applaud the initiative and the ability to get anything to market. It wasn't long ago the Intrepid 5x4 was seen as a Kickstarter novelty, now they're making thousands of them from their own workshop, evolving the camera as they go (not forgetting the 10x8 version).
04-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #41
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or just bypass all the connection issues and use a smart phone, Q or WG-6 to record off of the live view screen of your dslr to get the full frame to small sensor effect Too many physical issues here for practicality unless they can get the size and ergonomics figured out.

Last edited by mlt; 04-16-2020 at 12:52 PM.
04-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #42

I remember a few years ago device similar to a film canister (which held batteries and power circuit) with a film-like plate with a digital image sensor extended to the film gate without the need for a focus screen or an extra lens. It was designed to fit 'only' Nikon or Canon professional 35mm film SLR cameras. It had lower resolution than today's DSLR cameras and a crop factor too, but didn't got enough commercial traction. I wished it was adaptable enough to fit Pentax cameras.
04-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
use a smart phone, Q or WG-6 to record off of the live view screen of your dslr to get the full frame to small sensor effect
That's a technique that I've never thought of, but I'm not sure if you're just kidding (wink?).

I wonder whether it would be a practical technique. Would a tripod be necessary, or is it possible to hold and manage the two devices each in one hand, keep the DSLR precisely on target, keep the two steady, lock the focus, and take the picture?

The rear LCD monitor on, say, a K-3 II is roughly 720 x 480 pixels, or ~ 346K pixels. Wouldn't that resolution make a relatively poor 'screen shot' compared to the I'm Back approach?

Perhaps you're joking.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-16-2020 at 03:06 PM.
04-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #44
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
That's a technique that I've never thought of, but I'm not sure if you're just kidding (wink?).

I wonder whether it would be a practical technique. Would a tripod be necessary, or is it possible to hold and manage the two devices each in one hand, keep the DSLR precisely on target, keep the two steady, lock the focus, and take the picture?

The rear LCD monitor on, say, a K-3 II is roughly 720 x 480 pixels, or ~ 346K pixels. Wouldn't that resolution make a relatively poor 'screen shot' compared to the I'm Back approach?

Perhaps you're joking.

- Craig
The first sentence wasn’t meant to be serious.
04-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #45
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

Perhaps you're joking.

- Craig
The first sentence wasn’t meant to be serious.