Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Turn your film camera into a digital camera for $249

It just requires a giant attachment. And the sensor is 1/2.3" so a 5.5x crop factor.

"I'm Back" is back again with the "I'm Back 35" digital back to support more 35mm SLRs - DIY Photography

04-13-2020, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It just requires a giant attachment. And the sensor is 1/2.3" so a 5.5x crop factor.

"I'm Back" is back again with the "I'm Back 35" digital back to support more 35mm SLRs - DIY Photography
Actually, the captured image is "full frame," not cropped. However, they achieve this be using a focusing screen with a mirror behind it that reflects the focus screen image down to a lens in front of the 1/2.3", sensor in the base.

Thus, the image does have a "grainy" look caused by the texture of the focus screen.
04-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Where does it list the sensor size and megapixel count?
04-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Where does it list the sensor size and megapixel count?
I'm Back® 35 -- Kickstarter mentions that the sensor is the Panasonic 34112

The I'm Back 35 Lets You Add a Digital Sensor to Almost Any Old Film Camera -- PetaPixel mentions the specs of this sensor

04-13-2020, 08:55 PM - 12 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Oh my god, not this crap again.
04-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It seems like it might not be so ergonomic, as the digital back sticks out a good distance, which might make it difficult to use the normal shooting method of putting your face against the viewfinder and the back of the camera.
04-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well you never know.....this thing may not work so great but maybe someone else will come in with something more on point (eg about the size of a databack) if a market is perceived to be there.

I would trade off some quality of image for snapshot capability for test shots.

04-14-2020, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

That 5.5x crop factor is a real deal breaker.

To top it all, for $249 I can get a pretty good used DSLR.

I will pass on this one, thanks.
04-14-2020, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
That 5.5x crop factor is a real deal breaker.

To top it all, for $249 I can get a pretty good used DSLR.

I will pass on this one, thanks.
See photoptimist's post. There's no crop factor - the small sensor records the entire image from the focus screen. As such, it's the full frame image - but rather "lo-fi". It has something of a "lomography" look to it, IMHO...
04-14-2020, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crap factor, not crop

Errrr....no. I’d rather spend the money getting film processing gear again. You have to scroll some way down their kickstarter page to see how big and clunky the gadget is and seeing that convinced me of the case for having a crack at film again. Also, the very idea of bolting that monstrosity on to a Leica or Contax rangefinder instead of offloading same to someone who wants a classic film camera (and would pay for it!) just to take crappier images than my DSLR can. Well.....
04-14-2020, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will someone explain to me why in the world anyone would spend money on this??????
04-14-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Yet again trying to bring a poorly-conceived product to market.

I applaud the idea of making classic film cameras into digital, but the product will never succeed until they stop making devices which "technically" convert a film camera into a digital one and start embracing the spirit of the idea. That means that (a) the product needs to have a FF sensor in it and must be built in such a way as to preserve the feel of using an old-school camera.

Personally, I don't believe it'll ever happen, mainly because such a product would cost more than just buying one of the relatively cheap FF cameras already available.

If you want to shoot a film camera then, here's an idea, buy some film and put it in that camera. It'll be fun, much more fun than spoiling your camera by adding one of these contraptions onto it. You'll learn a lot. You may even get some good images and be inspired to continue.
04-14-2020, 06:10 AM - 10 Likes   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With respect, I think some folks here are being pretty harsh. The "I'm Back" represents a one-man effort to invent, design, prototype, troubleshoot, finalise and productionise an admittedly-quirky product that nonetheless does exactly what it promises. It doesn't claim to offer amazing image quality. The limitations are fully disclosed on the inventor's website.

We don't have to like or want the product, but numerous folks do. It's not something I would personally be interested in, and I think it has a pretty narrow market because of the IQ limitations - but I roundly applaud the inventor's ingenuity, enthusiasm, commitment and tenacity in bringing a product to market. It's more than I've ever managed to do...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-14-2020 at 06:19 AM.
04-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have heard about trying to do this before, many have tried, but no one (yet) has succeeded.

This example even gave a demo at PMA 2001 but is these days known as vaperware :-D

Silicon Film - vaporized-ware: Digital Photography Review

I think this will also become vaperware
04-14-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I have heard about trying to do this before, many have tried, but no one (yet) has succeeded.

This example even gave a demo at PMA 2001 but is these days known as vaperware :-D

Silicon Film - vaporized-ware: Digital Photography Review

I think this will also become vaperware
I believe the biggest issue with that approach would be recognising and syncronising with shutter actuation and the shutter itself. Plus, presumably, the back of each SLR would have to be modified or completely removed to fit the sensor stack and associated electronics behind it...