Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2020, 05:09 AM   #1

Buying a Camera From a Hot Climate Region

What are your thoughts on buying a camera from Hawaii? Everything I've read states that it's risky buying cameras that come from a hot climate because they have increased risk of fungus and other issues. Especially if it's a film camera that hasn't been made in 20+ years.

04-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in North Carolina. It's muggy and hot and humid here. I've had very very little issues with fungus. The only items with fungus were those improperly treated and stored. I have my original Nikkormat Ft3 and it has zero fungus damage despite being used by my teenage self in this climate. I would simple ask for the seller to guarantee condition and perhaps send more detailed pictures of the item.
04-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A hot, dry climate wouldn't encourage the growth of fungus. However, the humid tropics is a different matter. A friend from Sri Lanka kept his camera and lenses, when not in use, with a desiccant under a bell jar sealed with lanolin to prevent fungal growth on the lens coatings and corrosion in the camera.
04-14-2020, 07:47 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I took an Olympus OM-1 to Costa Rica where I lived in a tent for nine months in the rain forest as a field researcher. Other than avoiding the rain on the camera, I could do nothing to avoid the humidity. The lenses got some fungus, the cloth shutter got some fungus, the viewfinder got some fungus, and the leatherette body covering got quite a bit of fungus but the camera did not falter. It's one anecdotal report but it does suggest that fungus isn't the fearsome camera killer some think it is.

That said, avoiding a cloth-shutter camera and storing the equipment in a dry place seems like a good idea.

Hawaii would have the added challenge of salt-air corrosion and sand-grit jamming. But that may be unavoidable. Live near the ocean and you soon realize how impermanent everything is.

Personally, I'm a firm believer in using my equipment to get the images I want even if that shortens the life of the equipment. At a deeper level, almost any camera is more replaceable than a unique photograph is. Others, however, would rather miss the shot to save the camera. It's a personal choice that's worth thinking about and deciding to act accordingly.

04-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pan Kleks Quote
What are your thoughts on buying a camera from Hawaii? Everything I've read states that it's risky buying cameras that come from a hot climate because they have increased risk of fungus and other issues. Especially if it's a film camera that hasn't been made in 20+ years.
I wouldn't worry about Hawaii. Most people would have a/c and the camera would be stored indoors.

I'd be more worried about getting a camera from someone who stored it in a cold damp basement for 20 years. Where I live in Canada that's a common issue and we're not in a hot tropical climate, but a cool wet one.

Phil.
04-14-2020, 02:05 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pan Kleks Quote
I live in Hawaii and have seen a range from students bringing in older cameras. Hawaii has micro climates and some people live on the leeward side that has a desert like climate. The dominant trade winds blow out to sea, and a majority of those folks are in Honolulu with air conditioning as well.

The worst are those that live either deep in a rainforest valley or on the windward side where it is cooler with more rainfall and trades winds coming off the ocean or anyone living within a couple blocks from the ocean.

I've lived here for 24 years and have gear older than that in excellent condition, so it's really more about the care taken by the owner than it is the location.