Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 117 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Well my 'outdated' DSLR already has a display - what do I need a second one for...?
Maybe you don't. Do you represent the marketplace?

04-19-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #32
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The author of the article is a off-and-on member here.
He shoots a K-1mII and has supported the Pentax brand at the Phoblographer for the last few years.

I thought it was against the forum rules to label a member an Id*ot or disparage them.
04-19-2020, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The author of the article is a off-and-on member here.
He shoots a K-1mII and has supported the Pentax brand at the Phoblographer for the last few years.

I thought it was against the forum rules to label a member an Id*ot or disparage them.
You should contact a mod with you concerns.
Do you think calling someone an idiot is better or worse than accusing someone of breaking forum rules in public?
It's not against forum rules until a mod says it is. If the forum has banned words like idiot from common use on the forum to describe off forum posts I'm not aware of it. Especially for those not known to everyone as forum members.

However an accusation that someone is breaking forum rules in a public forum is in itself disparaging, and just as likely to be against the rules.You want to roll the dice?
If you think the rules have been broken inform a mod. Doing it in public is completely out of line.

Last edited by normhead; 04-19-2020 at 06:45 PM.
04-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
In my mind, the article has a couple of strengths: It's clearly labelled as an "Opinion" piece,
I agree. The first word of the blog headline is "Opinion". Pretty clear. That said, I think the OP's thread title is somewhat alarmist and may have provoked some reaction.

04-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
There’s a whole world of dual-display ILC’s from which to choose. Please leave my OVF cameras alone.
04-19-2020, 06:47 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Davep Quote
I agree. The first word of the blog headline is "Opinion". Pretty clear. That said, I think the OP's thread title is somewhat alarmist and may have provoked some reaction.
The fact that it is opinion doesn't mean it's beyond criticism if posted in a public place.
The only opinions not open criticism are those you keep to yourself, and you have every right to keep them private.
04-19-2020, 06:55 PM - 4 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
No one person represents the marketplace. The marketplace isn't a monolithic beast hurtling toward a single vision of the future. The marketplace is filled with different people wanting different products and different product makers satisfying those different demands.

Moreover, if we listen the marketplace, it obvious that a lot of people want DSLRs. When Nikon and Canon finally "woke up" and introduced mirrorless cameras, the MILC-touts jumped for joy but the marketplace basically yawned and kept buying DSLRs. If the two biggest of the "big boys" can't make people switch to mirrorless technology, what does that say?

04-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #38

I think Pentax doesn't need to jump to mirrorless system because it looks like Pentax doesn't have too much money too effort new system ( or they r not focusing improve their system) what they should do, they should more focusing produce more fast lenses as like dfa *50mm lens. New star lens has new focusing ring, i tested it, the focusing it was really fast. More new lenses plus new K camera with faster focusing, better focus peaking, plus better video record option. I think it s the best option for Pentax to survive...
04-19-2020, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, I'm afraid this is just a better presented, blog-type equivalent of the occasional "what Ricoh should do" posts that we see in these very forums from time to time.
This ^ ^ ^ with almost identical thread content each time it comes up, sort of like watching Groundhog Day over and over and over again...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There's no such thing as mirrorless tech. A mirrorless camera is a interchangeable lens camera without an optical viewfinder.
...and this ^ ^ ^ Probably the best indication is how quickly both Canon and Nikon realigned.

Steve
04-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and this ^ ^ ^ Probably the best indication is how quickly both Canon and Nikon realigned.

Steve
There kind of is mirrorless technology - but it is mostly in the assembly process, not in the cameras.
04-19-2020, 08:10 PM - 3 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

I would just like to point out theres quite a few hot links to Amazon in that blog. .. Blogs like this are generally designed to generate revenue through interest, affiliate links, and commissions. Few things do that better than controversial topics. The web is full of these. Even something that generates a negative reaction can be very lucrative.

I would also point out that blogs like that rely on people posting the link to the site elsewhere. It increases their visibility and increases their legitimacy as far as search engines go. This thread is a god send to the blogger as far as that goes.

I guess what I am saying is the blogger blogs to make money... the content is secondary and often picked for the effect on the target audience. With all the arguments over mirrorless vs Dslr.. the blog topic is well chosen... if the goal is to capitalize on controversy.

AL

Ps.. Im.good with my dslrs ..thank you very much Pentax.

Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-20-2020 at 12:49 AM.
04-19-2020, 09:27 PM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just another idiot telling other people how he thinks they should spend their money. It's amazing how creative people can be with other people's businesses.

Why do people sit in their lazy boy's and think they know best what companies like Pentax should do? After all if they invested in mirrorless and it led to their downfall it wouldn't cost him a cent. He's free to make up whatever nonsense he wants. The only people at risk will be those silly enough to listen to him.
After all the hype, it appears that DSLRs and Mirrorless have spit the market about 50/50. His opinion is nonsense. Mirrorless is a great way to incur greater expense without any guarantee of higher sales to cover it. It would be as likely to kill the company as save it.
Yes, except for video color depth establishment, and video camera use futures.
04-19-2020, 11:08 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ladies and gentlemen, lets remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how misguided that may be.
So long as we keep it friendly. This to me seems no different to the usual "Ricoh / Pentax should do this or should not do that" type of article we see all to often.

So, please, (Norm) stop calling people idiots and as for the rest of you, please remember that the entity with the most knowledge to know what's good or what's going to be good for Ricoh / Pentax is Ricoh / Pentax.
Carry on.
04-19-2020, 11:27 PM - 3 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by climbmountainway Quote
Yes, except for video color depth establishment, and video camera use futures.
This has been discussed, at length, in many threads on this forum. It seems most Pentax users do not wish to turn their camera into a video camera or, if they do, they don't want to pay for the improved features.
04-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There are electronic viewfinders on DSLR as well, but no optical viewfinder on mirrorless. Display tech is something completely different and doesn't involve mirrors.
Saying there's no such thing as mirrorless tech is like saying there's no such thing as SLR tech, it's just mirror and lens tech. Mirrorless cameras don't necessarily need an EVF but they do need to read the sensor output at speed and they need to be able to use the data from that sensor to AF and determine WB and exposure. The tech is combining things to work well in harmony.

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
As long as they have a electronic viewfinder, I would never buy a mirror-less camera. I hate those with a passion. The AF is really poor too.
Some people don't get on well with EVFs, and that's one of the very valid reasons not to use them. AF however, is superior to what Pentax have to offer, though I can't comment on DSLRs from other brands. Even my Fujifilm X-M1 has better AF (faster & much more accurate) than my K-3, and both of them were released in 2013. My newer X-T20 blows the K-3 out of the water, and it's not even the mirrorless camera with the best AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The very slow pace at which they develop and launch new gear is much more concerning than the absence of mirrorless cameras. I hope the camera annouced for this year will be worth the wait but I don't hold my breath either.
I certainly agree with you there. I'd say it's probably due to the division of resources to support two mounts and three different sensor sizes.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
LOL! This again!

What is it about mirrorless users that makes them so insecure that they can't tolerate other people liking other technologies?
This will depend on the individual, but for most people the advantages of mirrorless systems outweigh those of DSLRs. It's much less mirrorless-only users being insecure and far more DSLR-only users being unable to see that mirrorless cameras have a whole heap of advantages that are clear to most people. I see the insecurity of DSLR-only users every time they start throwing their toys out of the pram when someone posts anything at all that is pro-mirrorless, and I say that as someone who uses both and regards his DSLR system as his "main" camera system.