Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax/Ricoh Wake Up?

hopefully this is in the right section, please move it if it isnt...
I came across this article today, I found it a little bit interesting to read...

Opinion: Pentax, if You Don't Embrace Mirrorless Tech, it's Game Over

04-19-2020, 08:23 AM - 8 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just another idiot telling other people how he thinks they should spend their money. It's amazing how creative people can be with other people's businesses.

Why do people sit in their lazy boy's and think they know best what companies like Pentax should do? After all if they invested in mirrorless and it led to their downfall it wouldn't cost him a cent. He's free to make up whatever nonsense he wants. The only people at risk will be those silly enough to listen to him.
After all the hype, it appears that DSLRs and Mirrorless have spit the market about 50/50. His opinion is nonsense. Mirrorless is a great way to incur greater expense without any guarantee of higher sales to cover it. It would be as likely to kill the company as save it.

Last edited by normhead; 04-19-2020 at 08:29 AM.
04-19-2020, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just another idiot telling other people how he thinks they should spend their money. It's amazing how creative people can be with other people's businesses.
The author is also misrepresenting what the Ricoh rep said about mirrorless.
04-19-2020, 08:28 AM - 9 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

LOL! This again!

What is it about mirrorless users that makes them so insecure that they can't tolerate other people liking other technologies?

04-19-2020, 08:36 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I'm afraid this is just a better presented, blog-type equivalent of the occasional "what Ricoh should do" posts that we see in these very forums from time to time. Everyone's an expert, apparently, and they all presume to know how to run Ricoh Imaging better than the incumbent management. Sadly, their opinions - whilst valid - do nothing to help the brand when plastered all over the web. Ricoh execs won't read these opinions and come to a sudden realisation that they've been doing it all wrong. Less experienced readers might, however, take such personal opinion pieces to heart and decide that Pentax isn't the brand for them after all. So for all this "phoblographer" chap claims to be a fan of Pentax, he's not helping the brand one iota...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.
04-19-2020, 08:46 AM - 7 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no such thing as mirrorless tech. A mirrorless camera is a interchangeable lens camera without an optical viewfinder. Mirrorless tech makes as much sense as labeling cars without sunroof for sunroofless tech cars....
04-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There's no such thing as mirrorless tech. A mirrorless camera is a interchangeable lens camera without an optical viewfinder. Mirrorless tech makes as much sense as labeling cars without sunroof for sunroofless tech cars....
. . . which requires an electronic viewfinder, which is specific to mirrorless and is thus "mirrorless tech." A better analogy would be a gasoline powered automobile compared to an electric powered automobile. Both are still automobiles, but each employ very different technologies.

04-19-2020, 09:14 AM - 9 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Pentax needs to figure out where they fit into this ever-evolving industry"

They did. They cater to the "I don't want an EVF shoved down my throat" market, or the "I want a rugged outdoors system" market. Also, the AF woes are greatly exaggerated.
04-19-2020, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
. . . which requires an electronic viewfinder, which is specific to mirrorless and is thus "mirrorless tech." .
There are electronic viewfinders on DSLR as well, but no optical viewfinder on mirrorless. Display tech is something completely different and doesn't involve mirrors.
04-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
. . . which requires an electronic viewfinder, which is specific to mirrorless and is thus "mirrorless tech." A better analogy would be a gasoline powered automobile compared to an electric powered automobile. Both are still automobiles, but each employ very different technologies.
If you were going with automobiles. you have to point out a windscreen is the same as an OVF. There is no equivalent to an electronic windshield in cars. Both mirrorless and DSLR cameras are driven for their main purpose, producing a picture, by the same Digital technology. IN cars, the main purpose, moving the vehicle is performed by different technologies. So, I'm not on the same page with you there. In out put Mirrorless and DSLRs are the same. Only the operational technologies are different. The biggest difference being an OVF doesn't draw current and can be utilized even with the camera turned off. AN EVF is only on when the camera is using up it's battery, and often, not even for taking pictures, often, just for framing, setting your zoom FL etc.

The trouble with analogies, is if not carefully selected they can obscure more than they reveal.

Last edited by normhead; 04-19-2020 at 09:39 AM.
04-19-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

As long as they have a electronic viewfinder, I would never buy a mirror-less camera. I hate those with a passion. The AF is really poor too.
04-19-2020, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

That's not an article, it's a bunch of bull.
It's no more than hate and smack talk directed at Pentax and Pentaxians, precisely the thing the article starts by (supposedly) complaining about. Its premise is that our choice (and Pentax serving it) is wrong, and how mirrorless is so great that would by itself solve all Pentax' issues.
What an idiot.
04-19-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The very slow pace at which they develop and launch new gear is much more concerning than the absence of mirrorless cameras. I hope the camera annouced for this year will be worth the wait but I don't hold my breath either.
04-19-2020, 11:53 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
hopefully this is in the right section, please move it if it isnt...
I came across this article today, I found it a little bit interesting to read...

Opinion: Pentax, if You Don't Embrace Mirrorless Tech, it's Game Over
I think that Ricoh is wide awake. Instead of bombarding the world with camera's they release a camera every now and again. It gives us time to enjoy the camera we have. The author of the article is not so much interested in a good camera, but in "new technology" (whatever that is). Pentax had a real mirrorless (the author seems to have forgotten that) and even a bit of a groundbreaking mirrorless, it could handle all the old K-mounts (and there was the Q-series). Users complained about lacking a viewfinder. So then came electronic viewfinders. Which still makes them more or less a DSLR. And then the electronic viewfinders were not good enough. So Pentax probably thought the people who buy the camera's just want a good viewfinder. And if you use live view, well that is a (hybrid) mirrorless... For about fifty years now I use Pentax camera's. They never disappointed me. I still think they are the cleverest developers. They do not run with the crowd. That is why Pentax has such large fan base. (And that is perhaps the reason reviewers are not keen on the brand, not enough camera's to play with.)

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-24-2020 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the Q
04-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The very slow pace at which they develop and launch new gear is much more concerning than the absence of mirrorless cameras.
Really? No, it's only an impression, it's not real, is it? They've released the Pentax (Tamron) 70-210 f4 for K mount. And by year end will come the Pentax (Sigma) 85 Art 1.4 in K mount. That's not bad. IF I was Ricoh, I'd not bother making new DSLR models, I'd make all new Pentax bodies with the L mount and a K to L lens adapter, so that Pentaxians can still use their K glass, and Ricoh can rebadge the L mount glass from Sigma or Panasonic.