Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 117 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
hopefully this is in the right section, please move it if it isnt...
I came across this article today, I found it a little bit interesting to read
Ok...we have heard all this before of course.

Care to tell WHY you found it interesting ?

04-19-2020, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

He spent a lot of time scouring the internet for the pap that went into that little hit piece.
The nice thing about opinions is that everyone gets to have them. The bad thing about opinions is that too many people choose to publish theirs. The piece that the OP pointed to fits that description.
04-19-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just another idiot telling other people how he thinks they should spend their money. It's amazing how creative people can be with other people's businesses.

This idiot most probably spent huge money on expensive (overpriced, isn't it?) mirrorless system, so now he needs to reassure himself that this was a really good and important step (which should be followed by all others).

"I love DSLR bodies, but it is time to retire them."

Last edited by zzeitg; 04-19-2020 at 12:57 PM.
04-19-2020, 12:42 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax (Sigma) 85 Art 1.4 in K mount.
Why are you spreading misinformation?

04-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
. . . which requires an electronic viewfinder, which is specific to mirrorless and is thus "mirrorless tech." A better analogy would be a gasoline powered automobile compared to an electric powered automobile. Both are still automobiles, but each employ very different technologies.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There are electronic viewfinders on DSLR as well, but no optical viewfinder on mirrorless. Display tech is something completely different and doesn't involve mirrors.
My old Olympus Point and Shot has no mirror and it has a peephole style optical viewfinder.
04-19-2020, 01:08 PM - 7 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really? No, it's only an impression, it's not real, is it? They've released the Pentax (Tamron) 70-210 f4 for K mount. And by year end will come the HD Pentax-D (Sigma) 85 Art FA*85/1.4 SDM AW in K mount. That's not bad. IF I was Ricoh, I'd not bother making new DSLR models, I'd make all new Pentax bodies with the L mount and a K to L lens adapter, so that Pentaxians can still use their K glass, and Ricoh can rebadge the L mount glass from Sigma or Panasonic.
I fixed this for you. Star lenses are neither co-developed nor re-badges. Thankfully, you are not Ricoh.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2020 at 09:13 PM.
04-19-2020, 01:59 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my mind, the article has several strengths: It's clearly labelled as an "Opinion" piece, it's quick to read with a good flow, and it's illustrated with nice images. The author acknowledges the strength of the Pentax brand in landscape photography, and comments on the system's ruggedness. However, apart from that, it appears to present a skewed, one-sided perspective.

Regrettably, the article casually glosses over the numerous strengths of the Pentax system -- or DSLRs in general -- opting instead to push 'mirrorless technology' as the only future. Further, the notion that Ricoh could "dabble with some mirrorless technology" is ludicrous in my opinion. The article doesn't present a compelling case for the underlying premise that 'Pentax' will fold if Ricoh fails to transition the brand to "mirrorless technology." The counter-argument is missing: Pentax could continue, albeit at a small market share -- which is not necessarily a terrible position.

Amongst the hyperbole and other questionable assertions, the author claims that "We go months, heck years without hearing a peep about new cameras or new lenses." Years? It would have been useful to illustrate that claim with an example of such an instance.

Speaking about technology is relatively easy and promoting mirrorless systems seems to be in vogue. But, to be balanced, these types of articles should endeavour to back their views with clear evidence that mirrorless systems produce better outcomes for their users and their manufacturers. They could, for example, discuss whether pros who use mirrorless make significantly more money on average than those who don't.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-20-2020 at 08:27 AM.
04-19-2020, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #23

Photos: Gallery
The main advantage of mirrorless that is so often touted is its size in comparison to a DSLR. Well the iPhone (Smart phones) has taken that to the ultimate extreme. I don’t need new equipment and the need to learn other menu systems so Pentax with its legacy compact lenses is all I need...
04-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The very slow pace at which they develop and launch new gear is much more concerning than the absence of mirrorless cameras. I hope the camera announced for this year will be worth the wait but I don't hold my breath either.
Right now is probably not the best time to be releasing a new camera into the market considering the crappy state of the world economy. If I were Ricoh I'd probably hold off and continue working on the K-New so that when they finally release it, it will be an even more amazing camera than it was going to be anyway.

But.......I'm not Ricoh and they'll have their own plans and thoughts about what to do.
04-19-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually agree with the article. The suggestions put forward are well thought out and intelligent. Particularly thoughts around the hybrid viewfinder.
The author is referring to mirrorless technology and not mirrorless per says and its use on OVF cameras in the future. Just what I would like to see in a Pentax!

Last edited by BROO; 04-19-2020 at 04:37 PM.
04-19-2020, 04:11 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Really? No, it's only an impression, it's not real, is it? They've released the Pentax (Tamron) 70-210 f4 for K mount. And by year end will come the Pentax (Sigma) 85 Art 1.4 in K mount. That's not bad. IF I was Ricoh, I'd not bother making new DSLR models, I'd make all new Pentax bodies with the L mount and a K to L lens adapter, so that Pentaxians can still use their K glass, and Ricoh can rebadge the L mount glass from Sigma or Panasonic.
Are you intentionally trolling or just being obtuse? The D-FA* 85 will come when it comes and it won't be a Sigma design.
04-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There's no such thing as mirrorless tech. A mirrorless camera is a interchangeable lens camera without an optical viewfinder. Mirrorless tech makes as much sense as labeling cars without sunroof for sunroofless tech cars....
What do you think an electronic viewfinder is?
04-19-2020, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
What do you think an electronic viewfinder is?
A display...
04-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A display...
As opposed to a reflection
04-19-2020, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
As opposed to a reflection
Well my 'outdated' DSLR already has a display - what do I need a second one for...?