Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2020, 04:00 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
As a kid, I had no idea that I couldn't see well. How did I know what vision was like? In retrospect, I was sitting closer and closer to the TV from about 3rd grade on. A coach in 7th grade basketball noticed that I squinted really hard when I was shooting a basket. He talked to my parents. Glasses followed soon after. My grades and basketball both improved (not that great, I was still clumsy having grown a foot in a year...)

My ophthalmologist and I became good friends, having seen each other for over 20 years. We retired the same year too. After awhile, I told him, "I think I'm having trouble with my yellows when playing with post-processing for my photos." (He's a Nikon guy, but still a decent person).

He said, "You've always known when something wasn't right. You might be too perceptive for your own good. Be sure to bother your new ophthalmologist about yellowing lenses and cataracts as time goes on."

So, yeah. With contacts, I usually need sunglasses. With vari-focal lens in my glasses, photography is a chore. Glasses make using the viewfinder complicated in either case. And either way, focus is an endeavor. I'm not sure I have a point or an answer, other than, "You're not the only one."

I'm always impressed by those who get super sharp focus and love seeing those photos. One of these days, I'd like a couple days instruction from someone who can do that, so that I know what I'm not doing right. But I do try.

I used to do pretty well with an Olympus or Yashica rangefinder on film. Rangefinder focusing has always been easier for me -- lining up the bright double images -- even though I've had a Pentax SLR of one sort or another for over 40 years. I tried a Katzeye split image screen on my K200D, but there was still the glasses thing with the viewfinder.
Due to aging, the crystalline lens of your eyes will change and it will become sclerotic (yellow brown haze) or develop into a cataract( dense cloudiness, opacification). The former will result in a change in colour perception in the yellow wavelengths. We can measure this with a simple colour vision test, D-15. It may be the way we were designed or evolution for the natural lens to age and protect the macula. So yes, your colour perception will change with age and in some cases be noticeable when you are post-processing or printing photos. Thus is why patients that have cataract surgery, then usually after the first eye they will remark not only how clear things are, but how colours look so different and more vibrant. Hope that helps.

05-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Due to aging, the crystalline lens of your eyes will change and it will become sclerotic (yellow brown haze) or develop into a cataract( dense cloudiness, opacification). The former will result in a change in colour perception in the yellow wavelengths. We can measure this with a simple colour vision test, D-15. It may be the way we were designed or evolution for the natural lens to age and protect the macula. So yes, your colour perception will change with age and in some cases be noticeable when you are post-processing or printing photos. Thus is why patients that have cataract surgery, then usually after the first eye they will remark not only how clear things are, but how colours look so different and more vibrant. Hope that helps.
Thank you for the technical explanation for me. Oh, yes, that's exactly what is going on. I suppose that I need to plan on lens replacement, but now we've got the crazy Covid thing going on. So it will wait and wait some while longer.

I'll be sure to ask for the color vision test D-15 when I finally do have an exam. Since my past ophthalmologist has retired (he's the same age as me), I'm looking for a new one. Cheers!
05-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have needed glasses since the 4th grade, I have been wearing contacts since 1980. I always have one eye corrected for normal vision, the other eye + 5, my optometrist suggested this and I agree, if your vision can be corrected this way. In a few weeks you will not notice the difference much and but when looking thru the viewfinder things get real interesting. Sometimes I can see better with one eye, sometimes I can see better with the other eye. So I use both eyes when I can If time allows. Manual focus lenses, I can see clearly in the viewfinder of my K-3 II but I test with either eye to see if one has a sharper focus. For some reason I still do not like live view......None of this helps if someone has other issues, such as color perception, etc. I am fortunate to have healthy eyes that just need a focus correction....
05-06-2020, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Free D15 colour vision test if you come to Toronto, Ontario!