04-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fstoppers at it again

Pentax: The Dying Brand? | Fstoppers

04-24-2020, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Yet another "Mirrorless is the only way". Can people be a bit more creative maybe? Or accept that there's a reason DSLRs are good cameras - not totally inferior to mirrorless?
04-24-2020, 01:29 PM - 5 Likes   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow you have gotta be impressed with the biased poll questions at the end. How about "keep evolving a bleeding edge performance feature stacked camera with backwards compatibility of Pentax lenses."
Attached Images

04-24-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

*yawn*

Next April Fool's, Fstoppers will actually publish an article interesting to photographers, and people are going to laugh and say "that's impossible, it can't be happening!".

04-24-2020, 01:43 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Just looking into this author's history, he just did another article a couple months ago on the same subject, just a different title.

And in between, articles like "Why you should spend big on the camera and not on the glass", just to make sure we know it's definitely not someone worth anyone's time.
04-24-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read the comments here, to save me the trouble of clicking the article. Nothing to see of any interest methinks.
04-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He probably looked Pentax up on Wikipedia - can't even get the current model lineup right. Move on, people; nothing to see here.

04-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least the majority’s voting to remain in APSC Ff amped medium format so regardless of what he writes, Molokai at who really is listening,
04-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the article was perfectly on target. I guess I can’t be surprised at the knee-jerk reaction against it on this forum.

I’ve been around long enough to remember when Pentax was innovating and trying some slightly wacky but interesting new things. They haven't been doing that for A While now. The last several years they seem to be phoning it in. I'm sure it could be possible to breathe some new life into this brand, but it would require someone at the top with some vision and creativity, as well as willingness to take risks again, and it would also require some significant financial investment from Ricoh — which is difficult to justify in a camera industry where everybody finds the going rough.

Now, whether the article needed to be written, or whether it needed to lead with that (arguably clickbait) headline… I guess some things may be better left unsaid, really. But okay, it was in fact posted, and since several of you obviously disagree with it, let me ask you for a more optimistic spin! If you think he's wrong, then what do you see as Pentax's successful path going forward? What's the future vision that he and I are missing?
04-24-2020, 04:24 PM - 7 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
If you think he's wrong, then what do you see as Pentax's successful path going forward?
Keep producing affordable and durable DSLRs that have great image quality and ergonomics, and are natively compatible with lenses 45 years old...
04-24-2020, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Personally, I am a satisfied Pentax user. I enjoy the availability of the stealthy build and performance excellence in the products.
04-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #12
PDL
Pentaxian

Raise your hand if you think Ricoh is listening.

I thought not.
04-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes pentax should adopt a compelling aps-c , medium format strategy IMOP . Personally I have never done wedding photography or portraits so my opinion is not valid .
04-24-2020, 05:37 PM - 11 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One day when I have nothing better to do, I will go back to university, get multiple degrees in optics, mechanical and process engineering, electronics, commerce, marketing, advertising and whatever else is useful. Then I will raise millions of dollars and start my own company so I can design, build and and sell the perfect camera. Then I will tell PENTAX exactly what they should have done.

Until then I will shut up and let PENTAX get on with it.
04-24-2020, 05:55 PM - 10 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-1 is a monster of a camera and slaps the majority of other ILCs in terms of ergonomics (and if there's some semblance of a contest it still comes on top, because third dial). The cross-tilt screen is genius and super useful and I now refuse to think about buying any camera without TAv, Hyper Manual, third e-dial... the list goes on.

Seriously, best bang for buck in the entire business.