Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2020, 05:51 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
amplify my pain to my partner until they suggested I just get the new and better thing.
Is this achieved through moping, moaning and whining continuously through the day, or just one big sad outburst at the dinner table? Or is it better to go in stages over a week or two?

On the more serious side, I think I'd consider buying a new camera if the repair would cost around a third of a new camera, depending on the age of the broken camera. If the broken camera was fairly new, then I'd probably get it repaired at up to 50% of new.

- Craig

04-27-2020, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Is this achieved through moping, moaning and whining continuously through the day, or just one big sad outburst at the dinner table? Or is it better to go in stages over a week or two?
Asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission.
04-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
* the ugly M word normally requires at least 5 years of marrage before raising it's head (ie Manipulation).
Speaking on behalf of one gender only, I presume.
04-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you didn’t buy an all-hazards warranty you are self-insuring. What would your auto insurance company pay to repair your newish car that was destroyed in a softball-sized hailstorm? *

* Up to 80% of the residual value, less your deductible, because above that they would total the car and sell the car to CoParts for 20% of residual value, (CoParts pulls the engine & drive train and any good body panels and interior parts. There’s a lot of value in a fairly new totaled car). Sell the K-1 on eBay for parts, describing the repair estimate.

04-28-2020, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I definitely would check with your homeowners insurance and see. As long as you aren't shooting professionally, they often cover something like this.

That said, what the others said is what I would do -- repair if the cost is 500 or less and buy new if it was over that. As far as switching to another brand, personally, I wouldn't if you have much in the way of glass. It just takes time to build up a lens line up and with where the world economy is right now (and will be for months to come), now is not the time that I would want to be selling used lenses on the market.
04-28-2020, 03:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
I'm a brand loyalist
That's not good.

Have any of you decided to take this chance to ditch Pentax and pick up another camera brand?
Buy what you need for what you shoot. I think it's important to have the camera and lens kit that best fit the kind of photography we do.
04-28-2020, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,
Nope, not a warranty claim, so it's an out of pocket claim. I took it to the local Precision Camera in Austin who isn't a Pentax shop. They default to Precision Camera and Repair, who've looked at the camera before. I'll keep this in mind for future repairs.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if it is covered by warranty, go with Precision

if not, there are, as was said, other options

I use Phototronic here in Topeka and will be dropping off a SMC Pentax-D Fa 100mm F2.8 Macro with him today

https://phototronic.biz/

why consider changing

consider your investment

you say you don't want to buy used but I have a suggestion

rent one and see if you like it and then see if you can buy that exact camera body

you will know what you are getting then

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

lensrental might do that for you

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 07:25 AM ----------

Mark,
Now that you brought it up, I do have the gear covered under the home owners insurance, but I won't use it. It never occurred to consider using it, but I'm not inclined to use it as I'd hate to see the house rate jump as a result of a camera claim. Plus the deductible is $1000 and at a $1000 I wouldn't be inclined to repair it.

Regards,
Rodney

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Rodney

My K-1II had a similar mishap. I spoke to my insurer and the local Ricoh agent and my camera has been repaired in Japan, at very little cost to me, thanks to my insurance company helping out. I'm waiting for it to be returned - slow going with the whole Covid-19 issue.
Is your camera not repairable? (Or no household insurance?)

Regards,
Mark

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 07:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Got it. I was working off the thread title as well as the body of the post. Sorry to take it literally. What constitutes the "best" course of action is determined by where you place yourself in regards to three competing factors:
  • Comparative costs of repair vs. replace
  • Desire for least downtime vs. knowing that the K-70 is your very competent backup
  • Doubts about value of repair investment vs. starting fresh with a warranty and new camera smell
Of course, the opinions of forum members should probably not count for much in assessing the balance of the above. We don't live with your finances or your timetable or your need for value from money spent. Likewise, in regards to the jump ship option, we have no idea where your pain points lie with regards to your gear or what position "novelty of the new" occupies in your psyche.

My observation is that you do beautiful work and if your gear is a limiting factor, it is not obvious in your output.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks for the kind words. No, I can't say that using the K70 or any of my older cameras would be a limit my ability to take the images I do. CAS is always a problem.

With regards to opinions, different factors affect each of us differently so its a matter of simply listening to those folks. They can have unique solutions that I might not have considered. For example, @aslyfox suggested renting a Mkii and perhaps buying it. I great suggestion, I know how well I take care of the rental items I've used.

Thanks for your feedback.
Rodney

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 07:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
- my rule of thumb has been no more than 50% of new cost. But there are other factors like sentimental value, what the shutter count is or whether the model is still available new.

- Another option would be a low shutter count used K1mkII. Might be less than the cost of repair.

- I have had several lenses repaired, way back when Precision was first named the official USA repair depot they had some issues and one lens required a second repair. Since then however they have developed a much better reputation and I would not hesitate to send my gear there.

- Cost is going to be the deciding factor and until you get a quote from Precision then it is really hard to say what to do.

- Jumping ship is another issue. If you are happy with Pentax fine. If not, then buy something that makes you happy. Brand loyalty is silly in my opinion. Its not like the president of Ricoh is going to take you out for dinner because you are a loyal customer. I've looked hard at both Canon and Nikon and for what I do Pentax is better. But that's just me. I do have a Sony RX-100 that I sometimes carry but the menus and buttons are so confusing I really do not use it much. It is probably just familiarity, but I can pick up a Pentax camera and shoot with confidence. The Sony? Not so much.
LOL...In another thread I asked for feedback about purchasing a RX-100 and was given enough great feedback where it was suggested that I try a K-70. I'm glad I did! K-70 is good enough to use for a backup to my broken K1, and small enough (with the 40 mm pancake lens) that I can almost use it as a P&S....

I've not seen nor heard any real reason for jumping ship and as many have noted, I'm up to my neck in lens investment. So I'll be sticking around.

Regards,
Rodney

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 07:53 AM ----------

As far as paying for repair or replace, I'd go to about half a new replacement to repair a camera that was mine from new and the repair would return it to as new physical and operational condition (minus shutter useage etc). If the camera was to still have drop effected bits that remained operational (ie scratched screen) I would only go to a third of replacement value.

Off course, if a new and better camera was available, I would do the normal thing.... and amplify my pain to my partner until they suggested I just get the new and better thing. I have it on good advice that such things are not considered sins in the afterlife. After aquiring new thing, I might still sneak in the repair of the old thing at a later date..... though that action may be a sin.... and brings into question that ugly "M"* word.

* the ugly M word normally requires at least 5 years of marrage before raising it's head (ie Manipulation).
I'm writing this as my Fiance is packing the next round of boxes since he's moving in with me next month. He's also quick to suggest that I call my camera buddies and go an outing when he senses I'm getting wound up a bit too tight. Did I say shooting photos is very therapeutic?

If I decide to purchase the new camera, I might have to hurry and repair the old before the newness of his move in wears out!

Regards,
Rodney

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 07:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Since you didn’t buy an all-hazards warranty you are self-insuring. What would your auto insurance company pay to repair your newish car that was destroyed in a softball-sized hailstorm? *

* Up to 80% of the residual value, less your deductible, because above that they would total the car and sell the car to CoParts for 20% of residual value, (CoParts pulls the engine & drive train and any good body panels and interior parts. There’s a lot of value in a fairly new totaled car). Sell the K-1 on eBay for parts, describing the repair estimate.
I do have all-hazard insurance but I was informed that it was voided when I had the K1 upgraded to the K1Mkii via Pentax upgrade process.

I'm OK with not pushing this through my home owners insurance as well. Its covered there but at the cost of a $1000 deductible and future insurance jumps as a result of a claim....So I won't go down this route.

Regarfds,
Rodney

04-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian

One criteria I would consider if it was me, is what would the camera be like after the repair. If after the repair it would work and look like new, I would likely consider repairing it. On the other hand if after the repair it would work but be compromised in some way such as some function not being able to work and/or it would look visibly cosmetically damaged, I would likely not consider an expensive repair.
04-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Is it time to jump ship? For a DSLR user, this might be the very worst time to jump ship. Pentax may be the safest harbour for the next few years.

Assuming the OP isn't wooed by the shiny mirrorless offerings, and still enjoys the experience of a real-time, non-pixelated viewfinder, Pentax might just be the one company to keep investing in that technology in the coming years.

While the Nikon D850 might be a very impressive camera these days, it bears remembering that Nikon haven't introduced a new affordable lens in F mount since 2017. The three that have come since then have all been big-dollar big telephotos for the press gang. Everything else Nikon has released has been Z mount for mirrorless.

Pretty much same story for Canon. Canon and Nikon are betting mirrorless will save their business model from the cellphone fans.

Question is, is Pentax working feverishly on a me-too mirrorless plan? Or are they content to be purveyors of the proven SLR format for the time to come? Depends who you listen to, and who to believe.

While it remains to be seen which camera companies will survive the cellphone crush, and now this economic downturn, it would seem to me a safer bet to stay with a Pentax DSLR if you hope to have new bodies and lenses offered in the coming years.
04-28-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark,
Now that you brought it up, I do have the gear covered under the home owners insurance, but I won't use it. It never occurred to consider using it, but I'm not inclined to use it as I'd hate to see the house rate jump as a result of a camera claim. Plus the deductible is $1000 and at a $1000 I wouldn't be inclined to repair it.

Regards,
Rodney
Aha. Thanks for explaining. In our case, the deductible was only $300 and the repair and freight to and from Japan close to $800 so it made sense. In your case, not so much.
05-07-2020, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the repairs are being quoted at $450...

So I'll have it repaired and keep my fingers crossed that all works good as new.

Lol..Do I sound disappointed? Maybe slightly... I think i was hoping it it prove to expensive to repair so I could justify a new one...

Thanks everyone!
Regards,
Rodney

05-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the repairs are being quoted at $450...

So I'll have it repaired and keep my fingers crossed that all works good as new.

Lol..Do I sound disappointed? Maybe slightly... I think i was hoping it it prove to expensive to repair so I could justify a new one...

Thanks everyone!
Regards,
Rodney
Hopefully you get yours back sooner than me mine.
05-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hopefully you get yours back sooner than me mine.

Good luck! Sorry to hear that your camera is being repaired.

05-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All good. Will teach me to be more careful!
06-05-2020, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tomorrow I finally get my k1mkii back! $490 later....
Guess this means I'll hold off buying another k1mkii until the mkiii comes out in 2022, or the k-new lures me..