Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 12:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have to commend this seller for an excellent image. No mental arithmetic needed to figure out how small big this bag is.

Other Bags & Cases - Camera Bag for sale in Cape Town (ID:471855061)

06-23-2020, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have to commend this seller for an excellent image. No mental arithmetic needed to figure out how small big this bag is.
But wait - does it mean he is a smoker? It might not be from a pet-free smoke-free home
06-23-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

This Copipod looks interesting.

Asahi Pentax Copipod 49MM filter thread with case | eBay

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 06-23-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Tpyo
06-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A K30 at the rock bottom price of $60? There must be a catch. Of course there is.

QuoteQuote:
Images from camera are very dark; Sensor may be failing but does take photos
Sounds like an aperture block failure to me, but what do I know? Could be a bargain, or not. Somebody please buy it before I do...

https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201266056.html?

06-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have one of those with a 49mm lens plate. Looking for a 52mm plate.
06-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have one of those with a 49mm lens plate. Looking for a 52mm plate.
It does look a bit spindly - is it firm enough? I'd be putting a heavy K-1 on it.

I'd be fine with the 49mm adaptor - I'd be using a M100 macro lens. I often use a normal tripod for copying but it's hard to keep the legs out of the picture.
06-24-2020, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does look a bit spindly - is it firm enough? I'd be putting a heavy K-1 on it.

I'd be fine with the 49mm adaptor - I'd be using a M100 macro lens. I often use a normal tripod for copying but it's hard to keep the legs out of the picture.
These Copipods were built for Spotmatics and KX’es with a 100mm Macro lens. They were used to photograph flat material for making offset printing plates. Pentax made a more elaborate and robust macro table with a geared vertical shaft for fine focusing. Can’t find those any more.

As far as spindly, the legs are solid when it is assembled and the quadripod effect keeps it stable. If the mass of your K-1 + lens is off-center you might have an issue but I think that’s unlikely. You’ll need a remote release - I’d suggest the cable type that plugs in to the K-1. LiveView with the LCD tilted as if shooting over your head will be the best way to focus whether manual or AF.

06-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

the legs [of the Copipod] are solid when it is assembled and the quadripod effect keeps it stable. If the mass of your K-1 + lens is off-center you might have an issue but I think that’s unlikely. You’ll need a remote release - I’d suggest the cable type that plugs in to the K-1. LiveView with the LCD tilted as if shooting over your head will be the best way to focus whether manual or AF.
As the camera is supported by the lens pointing downwards, it is well balanced - I've just tried holding my K-1 like that by the M100 macro attached. Although it is weightier than the Spotmatics the Copipod may have been designed for. I think it would be OK.

I've been doing a lot of copying lately of old family photos, mostly B&W. The main problem is lighting : direct lighting causes glare reflected back off the photo, and angled artificial lighting falls off in intensity across the item. The best light is soft natural daylight through a window. I found some reviews of the Copipod here PENTAX Copipod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database and one mentions a problem of avoiding shadows from the legs, a problem with the tripod too but I guess it is 33% worse with the quadrapod..

My next main problem is the varying sizes of the photos I am copying - anything from 10x8 down to tiny things less than 2" square, probably contact prints from 127 film. There did not seem to be much standardisation of print sizes in those days; can't do anything about that except try to group similar sizes together.

As you say, I'm using Live View zoomed for focusing (obviosly manual) and the swivelling screen is essential. I use the infra-red remote to fire the camera together with a 2 second delay. Looks like with the Copipod, the lens adaptor can rotate within its head so the whole camera does not need to rotate around to focus.

This project makes me regret that the people at the time did not write more captions and dates on the backs of their photos. There are loads I cannot identify, including ones which appear to have been torn out of albums for some reason and so separated from any caption they might have had. Also I find how important are the occasional really poor snapshots, probably casually taken, because now they are the only surviving photo of Great Aunt Maud etc. I am digitally adding text captions at the foot of the more significant ones so that should not be a future problem.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 06-24-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
06-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

These Copipods were built for Spotmatics and KX’es with a 100mm Macro lens. They were used to photograph flat material for making offset printing plates. Pentax made a more elaborate and robust macro table with a geared vertical shaft for fine focusing. Can’t find those any more.

As far as spindly, the legs are solid when it is assembled and the quadripod effect keeps it stable. If the mass of your K-1 + lens is off-center you might have an issue but I think that’s unlikely. You’ll need a remote release - I’d suggest the cable type that plugs in to the K-1. LiveView with the LCD tilted as if shooting over your head will be the best way to focus whether manual or AF.
Very informative! I've had a decades-long interest in printing and imaging and never come across something like this.
06-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Black KM

It looks immaculate, and very cool. Much better than all those silver K1000s, and far better value than their inflated prices.

PENTAX KM BLACK SMC PENTAX 55mm F/1.8 LENS KIT 35mm SLR FILM CAMERA FROM JAPAN | eBay

07-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Helios macro bellows in K-mount. For some reason almost all the bellows that come up under "Pentax" are M42 mount. Only 11 hours to go at the moment, at £5 with one bid.

Immaculate Helios Macro-Photography Bellows Attachment Pentax K-mount | eBay
07-11-2020, 05:47 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Helios macro bellows in K-mount. For some reason almost all the bellows that come up under "Pentax" are M42 mount. Only 11 hours to go at the moment, at £5 with one bid.

Immaculate Helios Macro-Photography Bellows Attachment Pentax K-mount | eBay
It's in my Watch List too !!
07-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
It's in my Watch List too !!
Don't worry, I'm not bidding. I might have set everyone else on PF onto it though - sorry
07-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The winning bid was only £7.50. Someone got lucky.
07-11-2020, 06:07 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Don't worry, I'm not bidding. I might have set everyone else on PF onto it though - sorry
Sold anyway, and I didn't bid either - suddenly needed the money for something else (typical woman - food more important than something longer lasting !).