Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2020, 02:40 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Willard Suitcases: Every Picture Tells a Story

This is an incredible photographic exhibit with a very interesting origin.

"In 1995, the New York State Office of Mental Health closed the Willard Psychiatric Center in Willard, NY. It would eventually become a state-run drug rehabilitation center for prisoners. A Willard employee, Bev Courtwright, was given the task of going through all of the psych center buildings to determine what should be salvaged. She unlocked an attic door behind which was a collection of over 400 suitcases containing the possessions of former patients. The cases had been put into storage when their owners were admitted to Willard sometime between 1910 and 1960. And since the facility was set up to help people with chronic mental illness, most of these folks never left, and many were buried in the cemetery across the road.

Craig Williams acquired the cases for the New York State Museum and they were placed in the permanent collection. I first saw them in 2003 at an exhibit in the Museum where a small number of the suitcases were displayed. It was very moving to read the stories of these people, and to see objects from their lives before they became residents of Willard, and I was determined to photograph more of these cases so others could experience what I felt.

In 2011, the Museum gave me the incredible opportunity to begin this project. These objects open a small window into the lives of some of the people who lived at the facility, and I am determined to share them with as many people as possible. "

See more photos at the website

This project also led to the creation of a musical by the same name. I saw it performed at the American Shakespeare Center and it was incredible.

It just goes to show that a picture is worth 1000 words, and can lead to inspire many other people to do even more.

05-08-2020, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that, it was an interesting if somewhat melancholy tale and a fine set of photos to illustrate that small window into the lives of the people involved.
05-08-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nice set of images. It makes you think about the lives of others and what some of those less fortunate are left with.
05-08-2020, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Reminds me of when I was a teenager and my dad and I found my great grandmother's steamer trunk in my grandparents' basement. Nothing in it had been disturbed for decades. It was an interesting time capsule.

05-09-2020, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I had a job a few years ago of going through a Council archive, massive photo collection of the area going back to the 1950s plus stuff like Civil Defence plans, bomb drop slide rules to compute casualty estimates from various bomb sizes (scary), post WW2 plans for housing designs (including kitchen layouts with radar ovens), tons of interesting things. Depressingly no one wanted to store it, local history centres had no interest so it all went for destruction. Sad really.
05-11-2020, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

There was some very sad and long institutionalisation in the past (still now, though somewhat less). Things like this are important - thanks for sharing
05-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
There was some very sad and long institutionalisation in the past (still now, though somewhat less). Things like this are important - thanks for sharing
I am sure you know much more about the history than I do, though in reading about this institution, it seems that the treatment was very humane. I do suppose that some people, and their families had no other options, especially before certain modern medications and treatments became available.

The musical play that was created based on these pictures was very moving, very empathetic, very human. I hope it will have greater success after The theaters open once again.

This did give me an idea to do something similar, as I sort through trunks of memorabilia, a few objects might be arranged in such away as to capture apoint in time of my own life. That may evoke a similar memory in the mind of a viewer.

08-03-2022, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
More background on the project from the photographer.
08-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
More background on the project from the photographer.
https://youtu.be/KxbeZULe64U

Thank you for posting this; the video was deeply moving to watch. Sadly we still live in a world that stigmatises mental illness, but thankfully those of us who face such challenges are able to live full and free lives nowadays - in a way that wasn't allowed to those who were consigned to the old-style asylums.
08-04-2022, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, I had an example of this kind of prejudice on Tuesday - I was at a Nature Reserve, in one of the hides. Also there were a few family groups, with children, who were quiet, well-behaved and interested. Then a couple of people in wheelchairs entered, each with a carer, and it was immediately clear that their afflictions were not physical. Some of us made room for the wheelchairs, and greeted the occupants, who smiled. The family groups, however, immediately took their children out of the hide, and could be overheard complaining as they walked along the path. I looked at one of the carers, who grimaced, and said 'Sadly, we get that all the time.' What an indictment of some members of modern society.
11-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It appears that this exhibit is ongoing. I am fascinated by the idea of using these objects almost as a still life. That someone made a much larger project, as well as a musical inspired by this exhibit is really interesting. It's a shame that COVID shutdowns cut the theatrical run so short, because it truly was a greatly moving play when I saw it performed by the American Shakespeare Center.
SBU's Quick Center extends exhibition ?The Willard Suitcases? | News | oleantimesherald.com

I can't think of any similar photo project, but it gives me some ideas for one of my own as I clean out storage spaces and decades-old footlockers.