Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first thing that comes to mind is an MX. I actually bought two of them because the first one had a weird focus screen and I wanted a split-prism. It was cheaper to wait for another MX than buy the focus screen separately. I quickly discovered that all my other cameras had some sort of grip and the MX doesn't, so I felt like I was going to drop it. Then I had less and less inclination to shoot with film. I wanted to make a grip but never did.

05-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The first thing that comes to mind is an MX. I actually bought two of them because the first one had a weird focus screen and I wanted a split-prism. It was cheaper to wait for another MX than buy the focus screen separately. I quickly discovered that all my other cameras had some sort of grip and the MX doesn't, so I felt like I was going to drop it. Then I had less and less inclination to shoot with film. I wanted to make a grip but never did.
For sure ergonomics is a big reason we either like or dislike certain cameras. Today with 3D printers, I bet it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to custom make an MX grip.
05-12-2020, 04:51 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really buyer's remorse, but if I would of had the knowledge at the time of some purchases, that I do now, I would have made different decisions. It has cost me more than it should have.
05-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

Back in my film days I bought an MX after reading lots of reports from users about what a wonderful camera it was but I never felt the magic. I sold it on fairly quickly.

05-12-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never.
05-12-2020, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thinking...Thinking...Thinking...

Ya know, remorse is such a strong word...

Thinking...Thinking...Thinking...Thinking...

In regards to photo stuff, I can't say I have. Seller's remorse, yes...buyer's remorse, no...

Steve
I've had seller's remorse worse than buyers remorse. Why did I sell that lens?

I've had a few lenses that maybe I was disappointed in at first, then they grew on me, and some that I previously used a lot more and not so much recently, but they were all useful, and none were too expensive. A couple of years ago I bought a Sony a6000, I had read so much about how fast the autofocus was, the worlds's fasted autofocus (when it came out). Turned out blazing differences in lab speed aren't that much in actual use. My remorse there was more of my research, I had bought this super fast autofocus camera, but there were no long lenses available without spending a small fortune, even a slow 70-300 was in the $1000 range. I bought a few lenses with it and had some fun, using it as a travel camera. But in the end it didn't have the usability of my Pentax cameras, IQ was pretty much on par with the K-30/K-50, but just not as user friendly. So I sold it off, still enjoyed having it, I bought it used, a couple of used lenses and a couple of new. The only Sony lens I really liked was the 20/2.8, a nice little pancake that actually made it a small package. I did forget about the Sony 16/2.8 that I paid $120 for, I did sell it for $110, but I do have remorse over that $10, that should have been a $5 lens. But even listing it as not the shapest lens and with sample photos, lemmings were eager to bid on ebay. All of the other lenses were somewhat oversized for what they were, but no real remorse for buying them.

My biggest remorse is selling a Kiron 28mm f2.0 lens. I was shooting with a K20D then and I did not do well with autofocus, even so I took a few very sharp photos with that lens. I would love to have that lens with the KP and focus peaking.
05-12-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
never had it...

never will...
What about not buyers remorse, as I said biggest regret is not buying

05-12-2020, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What about not buyers remorse, as I said biggest regret is not buying
Soren Kierkegaard, is that you?
05-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This.

Without a doubt.

Sigma 100-300 f4 owners: is this what I should expect from this lens?? - PentaxForums.com.
05-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I can think of two: first was my Samsung GX-20 (K20D clone), which I bought about four years ago and then found several shortcomings compared to is Pentax sibling. But I got it for a cheap price, just $114 without a lens, which was considerably less than what a comparable K20D was going for at the time so I got over it. The other one was a black Kx with a kit lens I bought back in December. I was having insomnia and mousing around eBay to try and make myself sleepy. It was ending later that morning and was going for cheap so I put in a low-ball bid and ended up getting it for a mere $66. I didn't need to be spending that money. There again, I got over it pretty quickly. I need to get back to listing stuff on eBay and both of those cameras are in the 'sell' box.
05-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What about not-buyers remorse, as I said biggest regret is not buying

oh yeah - that one gets me every time.....
05-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
1) Minolta Rokkor 500mm f/8 reflex lens. Too slow, too soft, fixed aperture. Imagine how dark the viewfinder is at f/8 after switching from lenses with f/1.2 or even f/2.8. My first and last mirror lens.

4) Every tripod with a plastic or cheap metal part that broke from age or normal usage. Pathetic how many intermediate tripods I've bought only to find their achilles heel, and after repairing it once, ended up buying what I thought would be my next last tripod ever.

1) I tried the Pentax 400-600mm mirror lens. They just don't work very well. It didn't last long in my possession.

4) I still don't have a decent tripod after three or four tries.
05-12-2020, 09:04 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d say my case is more chagrin than remorse. I sometimes buy things with a plan to sell something else but tend not to get around to the selling part. I don’t have Seller’s Remorse unless I sold a better copy then I can buy now, because I just buy whatever back.

Then again - Sure! I get Buyer’s Remorse every time I add a new piece of gear to the spreadsheet and see the updated {=SUM(F3:Fxxx)} value.

But moving a PayPal balance to the checking account rather than the other way around is satisfying enough to compensate for whatever guilt might appear after I pay for whatever I just bought. I’ve bought and sold the DA15/4 three times and a K2DMD three times. I currently have two, complete with MD and battery grip. The second one just looked so good . . . . . I sort of regret that. Sort of. Not.

Earlier this year I laid out ALL my photo gear on the dining room table1 just to look at it in one place. I discovered I had four FA77’s. I had purchased a lower serial number copy three times and never sold the higher number copies as I had intended. I’ve since sold three. Selling will continue.

Part of me would be less remorseful owning just K-1ll, a few F*/FA* and DFA* and the FA Limited lenses. But I just enjoy using the manual lenses so much I’ll never get there.

1 Both leafs were still in from the holiday party

05-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Mine, buyers remorse. All those 100-300, 70-300mm Sigmas and one Pentax 100-300mm trying to keep from buying a 55-300mm. None were sharp at 300mm. By the time I paid for all those, I would have had the money to buy the better Pentax 55-300mm WR or the PLM version, which I now own, both of them.

I only have one seller's remorse, the A 28mm f2.8.
05-12-2020, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I am always fill of remorse when I buy stuff, I always feel I am giving pain to my partner. The worst is I when I buy stuff cheap on eBay that I swear I will sell on at a better price later or when I have fixed whatever problem its being sold cheap for and then find after having spent hours fixing it I cant part with it.

Three most recently....I paid out for a minolta lens that came with a free Minolta XD7. The XD was so neat that rather than sell it on as originally planned as I only really wanted the lens I decided to keep it and have it professionally CLAd...ouch double dose of remorse.

A Minolta X700 being sold cheap due to capacitor issues....I could fix it, put new seals in it, pair with a minolta lens I wasnt using and sell on to make a profit. It was easy to fix but now I cant part with it.

And only this week I bought a minolta X500 with capacitor problems, fixed but its quite nice and apart from the initial problem its near mint and I cant bear to sell it.

Thats a whole load of remorse.......