Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #31
Forum Member

Happening to me! I'm currently eyeing a used 50-135 in excellent condition and also a used Kenko MC7 2x Teleplus Converter. Shall I get them or not, I've always wanted the 50-135 to partner my 16-50 but refused to play top dollar and in the background also concerned about SDM failure although this lens has a years warranty.

Tim

05-13-2020, 02:21 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
my biggest regret is not getting a sigma 500/4.5 when they were in production
Was just wondering.
What if there's a chance to "unregret" this "regret"?

Will you plonk for the 500 prime if one is available?

Hypothetical question, of course, but worth to think about it.
Cuz if one does come up, there wont be much time to mull over it.
It probably be snapped up rather quickly.
05-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My entire 6x7 outfit. I bought it to take shots that I might sell to a particular magazine - in film days magazines were far more likely to accept MF Kodachome shots than anything else, in fact some insisted on it*. Also because I loved the idea of such a serious camera - and I still do.

But soon after I bought it, digital became the thing, and I also had less time to take those shots (which needed going to particular locations) than I had anticipated. I have used the 6x7, but far less than the expense justified, and mostly not for the original purpose intended.

I bought mostly used stuff, but mint, and I could probably sell it for more now than I paid for it (not allowing for inflation). It takes up space, but I'm in two minds about selling it - not while we are in lockdown anyway.

* I heard National Geographic even insisted on Kodachrome 25.
05-13-2020, 04:12 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Was just wondering.
What if there's a chance to "unregret" this "regret"?

Will you plonk for the 500 prime if one is available?

Hypothetical question, of course, but worth to think about it.
Cuz if one does come up, there wont be much time to mull over it.
It probably be snapped up rather quickly.
It depends of course on the price, and I would need to test it, or have no cost return policy

05-13-2020, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I discovered I had four FA77’s
Is that the point where you admit that trying to treat your LBA is a pointless undertaking?
05-13-2020, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I had buyer's remorse with my KP. Convinced myself I'd love it due to just a couple of features it had that my K-70 did not.

I held on to it far longer than I probably should have before selling it for another K70. I suppose I had some hope it might grow on me given enough time.
So what was the problem? Ergonomics. That's all, otherwise a great camera, feature and image-wise. Actually using it was bad enough that I never picked it up first when heading out the door. It just never did feel "right" with cramped controls, bad BBF button placement and too shallow a grip. It didn't match me.

So there's no replacement for holding a camera in your hands before committing to purchase. All the amazing spec's in the world won't tell you whether it will feel good in your own hands and you'll look forward to carrying it on your photo adventures.
05-13-2020, 05:30 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I'm thinking and thinking, and I'm not finding a good example. I do my research extensively and am lucky enough to have access to many great lenses.

One candidate to answer the question could be the Lensbaby Burnside 35mm F2.8. That lens is all it's supposed to be, but I thought I would enjoy using it with all its quirks and I ended up not using it at all, so I sold it. A case of "it's not her, it's me".

Same reasoning with a K50 F1.2. I never used it so I sold it.

There are a few cheap accessories examples (a LensPEN, I got a knockoff and threw it away to purchase the real deal; a cheap Chinese macro focus rail that I don't use, a cheap tripod that's not stable at all, see the trend here?).

I have some seller's remorse, even though in all cases it is for lenses that I would not use even if I still had them. Emotional relationship with them, that's all. A*300mm F4, Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5, Vivitar 120-600mm (just for its uniqueness).

05-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Is that the point where you admit that trying to treat your LBA is a pointless undertaking?
That’s the point where I start selling stuff that’s just sitting on a shelf.
05-13-2020, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote

* I heard National Geographic even insisted on Kodachrome 25.

They did prefer to use Kodachrome whenever possible. Processing the film required very rigid quality control measures be in place. The color pigments are added in the processing step and are not incorporated dyes in the film. Because they are pigments they are much more stable over time that the dyes uses in Ektachrome, Fujichrome or any E6 based reversal film processing system. The resulting colors were a much closer match to the original too. Very similar to the dye sublimation process. I bet that there are a few old times like me around here that actually know what that is.

Using Kodachrome also meant that the photographers had a reason to send the film out of country for processing. Local authorities had no means to censor photos that they did not want published unless they confiscated all of the film. Back in the day the practically indestructible National Geographic employee ID was almost as good as a passport. In some tricky situations even more valuable.

Back in the late 1980's I had the pleasure of visiting their photo labs. They processed all their own film and prints except for Kodachrome. You could have performed surgery in any room of their photo labs they were all so clean. Even the film and paper processors were spotless INSIDE and out. I have never seen another photo lab like it.
05-13-2020, 06:19 AM   #40
Pentaxian

my biggest regret is not getting a sigma 500/4.5 when they were in production
Seconded! This one and also Carl Zeiss 100mm f/2 ZK.

Concerning Sigma, I did not realize at the time that such a lens wouldn't be produced ever again in K mount.
05-13-2020, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
My SMC DA40 Limited is one of my most treasured possessions. A true gem; a great lens.
Agreed. In particular it renders late afternoon/golden hour light beautifully.

05-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about not buyers remorse, as I said biggest regret is not buying
My biggest "Not Buyer's Remorse:"

In August 2011 (as noted in my journal), I passed on a sale that was listed in an online classified (Kijiji). I spotted the listing almost as soon as it went online. The seller was located about a three-hour car drive from me, I was free for the day, and the listing gave their telephone number so I could have snapped it up. I looked up the lenses in our database. I hemmed and hawed for a few minutes, then decided not to chase it.

The items?

SMC Pentax 55mm f/2

SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4

SMC Pentax 200mm f/2.5

and...

SMC Pentax 28mm f/2

The asking price? CAD $150 for the lot. (USD $120 at the time).

Why, oh why? Think you got remorse? Please, show a little respect, for I am Craig, lord of the idiots.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-13-2020 at 08:14 AM.
05-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
My biggest "Not Buyer's Remorse:"

In August 2011 (as noted in my journal), I passed on a sale that was listed in an online classified (Kijiji). I spotted the listing almost as soon as it went online. The seller was located about a three-hour car drive from me, I was free for the day, and the listing gave their telephone number so I could have snapped it up. I looked up the lenses in our database. I hemmed and hawed for a few minutes, then decided not to chase it.

The items?

SMC Pentax 55mm f/2

SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4

SMC Pentax 200mm f/2.5

and...

SMC Pentax 28mm f/2

The asking price? CAD $150 for the lot. (USD $120 at the time).

Why, oh why? Think you got remorse? Please, show a little respect, for I am Craig, lord of the idiots.

- Craig
got the first 2, would like the last 2 and i dont see how you could pass up a lot price that was less than 50% of the individual value of either of the last 2 lenses. oops
05-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
Happening to me! I'm currently eyeing a used 50-135 in excellent condition and also a used Kenko MC7 2x Teleplus Converter. Shall I get them or not, I've always wanted the 50-135 to partner my 16-50 but refused to play top dollar and in the background also concerned about SDM failure although this lens has a years warranty.

Tim
The SDM failed on my copy last year after several years of service. No biggie since Uncle Vanja converted it to a screwdrive for a relative pittance and saving the AF. Bonus! It seems faster to focus now too. You will NOT be disappointed with it on a crop body. I've used it for portrait work, events, landscape, family pics, album cover photos, and a few small concerts. Handles it all impressively.

As for the Kenko I think that's one of the three TC's I have, but never ever used. Carry over from my old K1000 days. Even the other two (Pentax and Tamron) have ended up rarely used, fas less often than I would have expected when I bought them. Now that I'll have the K1 I may give the Kenko a try.
05-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i dont see how you could pass up a lot price that was less than 50% of the individual value of either of the last 2 lenses. oops