Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #1

First Time Panorama Stitching

Tried my hand at Panorama stitching. Pentax K1, 24-70mm @35mm.

Single row, thirteen wide (every 15 degrees) cropped a little in post.

Stitched and processed Affinity Photo.
Quite surprised at how well Affinity handled the stitch.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-17-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are many tutorials re: panoramas on Youtube, if you need more info.
Nice job.
05-17-2020, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice Job. On my first attempt, I too was surprised how easy it was and how well done it was. I used Lightroom. For me, it was harder to determine how to set the camera so all shots would have the same and proper exposure. From the look of your composite, I assume you to took the individual shots vertically. The real important question is, did the gentleman catch any fish?
05-17-2020, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Affinity does handle stitching quite nicely. I've found that all the stitching utilities do quite nicely, each has its own strength and weaknesses, that then to come out over time and the various image sets that are given to process. Microsoft ICE is a free download and is also easy to use.

05-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work! Welcome to the world of stitching!

Another vote here for Affinity and Microsoft ICE. ICE is fantastic for free software, especially now that it can work with TIFF files.

However, I use Affinity for nearly all of my panoramas now as I have found that I like the natural perspective it gives and it seems to retain colours better in brighter areas in certain situations, but I do get quite frustrated how slow it can be stitching the photos; and especially its tendency to hide ying/yangs along the horizon where it fails to blend differences in exposure between two photos. You can be left with a dark spot direcly beside a bright one with a line down the middle. At least you can adjust the stitching lines, but the software can feel like your chasing your tail as it doesn't really follow the exact lines that you paint in.

I would recommend getting a proper nodal mount or at least a "L" bracket if you want to do longer exposure panos. Although they by themselves don't guarantee that you won't have stitching errors ( even when you set them up properly ), they are a much better option than simply using a ball head in portrait mode.

Be warned though, taking panoramas can be an endless rabbit hole of fixing parallax errors, obscene file sizes, focus stacking to get your depth of field back again, and obsessing about getting maximum megapixels for that imaginary huge print that you're going to do.
05-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Focusrite Quote
Nice work! Welcome to the world of stitching!

Another vote here for Affinity and Microsoft ICE. ICE is fantastic for free software, especially now that it can work with TIFF files.

However, I use Affinity for nearly all of my panoramas now as I have found that I like the natural perspective it gives and it seems to retain colours better in brighter areas in certain situations, but I do get quite frustrated how slow it can be stitching the photos; and especially its tendency to hide ying/yangs along the horizon where it fails to blend differences in exposure between two photos. You can be left with a dark spot direcly beside a bright one with a line down the middle. At least you can adjust the stitching lines, but the software can feel like your chasing your tail as it doesn't really follow the exact lines that you paint in.

I would recommend getting a proper nodal mount or at least a "L" bracket if you want to do longer exposure panos. Although they by themselves don't guarantee that you won't have stitching errors ( even when you set them up properly ), they are a much better option than simply using a ball head in portrait mode.

Be warned though, taking panoramas can be an endless rabbit hole of fixing parallax errors, obscene file sizes, focus stacking to get your depth of field back again, and obsessing about getting maximum megapixels for that imaginary huge print that you're going to do.
Thank you Focusrite,

I have already ordered a Nodal rail. , yes, I'm hooked.... And, Yes, The file sizes can be staggeringly large in Raw. Affinity did a pretty good job of putting those together, But slow, when it has to crunch through two or three hundred or more MB files. I did some JPG runs and was happy with the results. .. This one, I did inside, with a 50mm, four rows high, thirteen wide (Miss counted on the bottom row, hence the blank spot), just to see what it would do. I think it did very well, considering no nodal point and what I consider a tough scene. I'll have to practice correcting the distortion. . I have not tried focus stacking pano yet, I have run HDR tho..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo