Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Temperature range

Just curious: Pentax offers a "lowest temperature" operating measurement but there is no mention of the upper limit. I am sure it's not very high, but I'm thinking of traveling, parking for a short time...? It is probably a matter of the lubricant in the machine.

05-18-2020, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I put K-1 in sauna for an hour in 2018 while it was warming up. The ambient temp was around 60C in the end at which point I was able to take a frame. Did not go further, just checked if it could perform some basic routines without warning messages and it did.

So leaving the gear in hot car will not kill it in an instant.
05-18-2020, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax K-1 Manual:
The temperature range for camera use is -10°C to 40°C(14°F to 104°F)
High temperatures may cause:
* additional image noise with long shutter times
* the LCD screen to go black
* minor burns to the user's skin with extended holding
* warpage of plastic parts that may interfere with operation or weather sealing
* damage or fire in the battery (if above 140°F/60°C)
05-18-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Pentax offers a "lowest temperature" operating measurement but there is no mention of the upper limit.
K-3 user guide, p101: -10°C to 40°C

Note that those are operating (environmental) temperature limits.* Internal temperatures are another matter and the camera will display an error message and shut itself off if those go too high.

Steve

* I would expect that there are users on this site whose cameras have been used beyond the extremes listed in the manual. After all, 40°C is not particularly hot and -10°C not particularly cold in much of the world.

05-18-2020, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

-10C is only basic winter condition. -40C is cold. The most beautiful winter light happens at -30C and lower temps.
05-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can attest to the K-3 functioning, albeit with a much shortened battery life, at -35F (-37C). I don't bat an eye at taking it out in weather that is above 0F (-18C) but below that I will consider bringing some more extra batteries to keep in an inner pocket so that they can stay warm and be ready to swap out. I try and do as much astro as I can in the winter with the long, cold, dry nights. I just stuff everything in a 2 or 2.5 gallon zipoloc bag (I forget which size), squeeze as much air out, and seal before heading in so I don't have to worry about condensation.

I haven't pushed that upper operating temp maybe only getting close to 90F (32C) so not anything special on that end.
05-18-2020, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Say the temperature inside a closed vehicle reaches 55-60C, it would take a long time for a camera in a padded bag, sitting on the floor or in the trunk, and covered up with a coat or blanket or something to even come close to reaching that temperature. I supposed one could set the camera bag inside a dry cooler for even more protection.

05-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all!
05-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Only problem I've had with high temperatures is when you have the air conditioning on in the car and then step outside with the camera. The camera can fog up.
Here it gets above 40 fairly often in summer and I've never had any other problems with my cameras. I wouldn't leave them sitting in the sun, though.
05-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
High temperatures may cause:
* additional image noise with long shutter times
* the LCD screen to go black
* minor burns to the user's skin with extended holding
* warpage of plastic parts that may interfere with operation or weather sealing
* damage or fire in the battery (if above 140°F/60°C)
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I can attest to the K-3 functioning, albeit with a much shortened battery life, at -35F (-37C). I don't bat an eye at taking it out in weather that is above 0F (-18C) but below that I will consider bringing some more extra batteries to keep in an inner pocket so that they can stay warm and be ready to swap out. I try and do as much astro as I can in the winter with the long, cold, dry nights. I just stuff everything in a 2 or 2.5 gallon zipoloc bag (I forget which size), squeeze as much air out, and seal before heading in so I don't have to worry about condensation.

I haven't pushed that upper operating temp maybe only getting close to 90F (32C) so not anything special on that end.
I've shot various Pentax cameras at around -10 F, and for longer periods at 0F-10F with no problems beside shorter battery life, probably never longer than 2 hours. But, I would not tempt the higher temps though, besides the air temperature, the camera regularly creates heat, so if the outside air is hotter, it cannot dissipate any heat. Nothing on photoptimist's bullet list is good, and it won't take long for them ALL to happen.
05-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Just curious: Pentax offers a "lowest temperature" operating measurement but there is no mention of the upper limit. I am sure it's not very high, but I'm thinking of traveling, parking for a short time...? It is probably a matter of the lubricant in the machine.
I've left mine in a padded bag, in the car for an hour or so, 110F is not uncommon here, no problem so far.
05-19-2020, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was a few years ago with a K3
14 days in Egypt above 40 degrees Celsius, Camera internal temperature 39.5 degree
Attached Images

Last edited by Crooski; 05-19-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: K5 =K3
05-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again!
05-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax cameras survive and work in Australia. It can get warm down here, mid 40s C. In a closed unattended car, 60C+ and anything stored inside the car will eventually get up around that temp.
05-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used my camera (K5 IIs) during cold Minnesota winters, where temperatures of -10 F are considered normal. The thing is, who takes long walks in the park during -10 weather ? I usually drove around in my car and when I saw a shot , I got out of the car and took it. I never had problems with the camera, but a few of my lenses would freeze up and start acting up. My DA 20-40 mm 'L ' series was one those lenses which gave me the most problems. The aperture would get stuck at F4 and would not move no matter how hard I tried to change it. I purchased the lens used, so it could be there was a defect with the lens in the first place. I also used my Pentax in hot-humid South Florida during the summers where temperatures of 110 F are considered normal. I never had any problems with the heat or humidity even when I was taking pictures on the beach.