Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should I upgrade my memory cards?

I have a few Sandisk cards rated at 30 or 48 MB/s, plus a couple of 90MB/s. I know they are hardly state of the art at this point but would going to something faster make any real improvements for me?

I shoot with a K-70 for my primary body with a K-50 as a backup.

I was looking at these Sandisk 130 MB/s cards.

Thanks.

4 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

The benefits of card speed depend on how you shoot and whether you spend much time waiting for the camera to store images to the cards. If you take only a shot or so at a time, card speed doesn't matter. If you are a spray-and-pray shooter, then it does. If you spend a lot of time pulling up images from the card on the camera, then a fast card will speed that process. Or if you have a high-volume workflow where you want to minimize how long it takes to download a full card of photos, then faster cards will speed that process.

You say you have both some slow cards and some fast cards. Thus, if fast cards were a benefit, you would presumably have already noticed that benefit when your camera has a fast card in it. If you've have not noticed any differences between the fast and slow cards you have, then buying more fast card probably won't do much.
4 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That would depend on the read and write speeds of the camera. I would look at the camera specs and match that for the best performance, it would be a waste of money going for a card faster than the camera.
4 Days Ago   #4

What are the old cards not doing for you that you think new ones would. Are the old ones holding you back in some way ?

4 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

I'm assuming you want to get the shortest write times? Check what's the write speed for each card, and if it's over 40-ish you should be as fast as any other. One of the cards I bought claims 80MB/s but that's only read speed, writing is around 10. I should have checked, because it makes a clear (negative) difference compared to faster ones when shooting bursts and for that reason I don't use it anymore.

This is a test with the K3ii, it tops at 37MB/s write speed, the K70 should be similar Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Last edited by aaacb; 4 Days Ago at 06:28 AM.
4 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the constructive comments.

As for workflow the speed of the card being read does not affect me in any way I deem significant. I am a hobbyist so I am not trying to get jobs done for a client.

I did go out and shoot with the various speeds of cards. It does seem like there might be some speed advantage after the buffer is filled but that is not something I found significant.

As for now I will probably stay put.

Thanks again for all useful input.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 1 Day Ago at 05:51 PM.
4 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

I have one camera in which card speed makes a huge difference—my Samsung GX-20. Slow 32GB cards produce consistent write errors, as in images aren't saved to the card. Slower cards, 16GB and smaller, work just fine. The only 32GB cards I have used successfully in this camera are 80 and 90 MB/s versions (SanDisk Ultra with silver or gold labels). This problem was addressed on the Pentax K20D, upon which the Samsung GX-20 is based, with the last firmware update, 1.04. Samsung's firmware updates for the GX series DSLR's were based on the corresponding Pentax updates but the GX-20 never got past version 1.03. Samsung had already lost interest and abandoned their DSLR's by the time Pentax came out with version 1.04. Unfortunately, the Samsung GX-20 won't accept Pentax K20D firmware. All of my other cameras use any card, any speed, just fine.
4 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I've read, the ultra high-speed cards have extra contacts, so the card slot in your camera has to be compatible to get the highest transfer rates.

4 Days Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
From what I've read, the ultra high-speed cards have extra contacts, so the card slot in your camera has to be compatible to get the highest transfer rates.
Have any of you looked into the max. write speed Pentax cameras offer? A 90mb/s UHS1 card is all you need. For instance Pentax most recent crop camera, the KP, cannot write to the card faster than 45mb/s if I understand.

Last edited by gatorguy; 4 Days Ago at 01:28 PM.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use UHS II cards in my K-1 as they are backwards compatible. They were on sale and I also got a UHS II Card reader that is USB 3 and when I upload to my computers tit goes a LOT faster. AS K-1 Files are big, it does make a difference there, but it is not noticeable when shooting.

---------- Post added 05-23-20 at 20:12 ----------

That is the UHS II and above. They still work great in your Pentax as the Primary contacts are the UHS I ones..
1 Day Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I have a few Sandisk cards rated at 30 or 48 MB/s, plus a couple of 90MB/s. I know they are hardly state of the art at this point but would going to something faster make any real improvements for me?

I shoot with a K-70 for my primary body with a K-50 as a backup.

I was looking at these Sandisk 130 MB/s cards.

Thanks.
If they are being slow for you, then certainly replace them. I'm using a mix of Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards in my K1, I think the fasts is 95mb/s. I'm not having any issues with write speed in the field, though it does take a while to download a card of images. I'm not often shooting in high speed continuous though. I don't know how much difference faster buffer clearing would make for you.
In my case, the faster speed would be nice for getting files onto my computer, but even then, it's not that big of a deal.
One thing i did do recently was to buy a new card reader that was USB3 capable. It occured to me that I hadn't replaced my reader in a very long time. That made a pretty big difference for me.