Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Need advice on photographing the rocket launch.

I'm going to drive to Central Florida to shoot today postponed SpaceX launch. Since Jetty park will be open only for annual pass holders, do you know where to find interesting sites nearby except beach area?

I plan to use 300mm and wide angles, either 15mm, or maybe 30mm, it depends on location.

05-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I'm going to drive to Central Florida to shoot today postponed SpaceX launch. Since Jetty park will be open only for annual pass holders, do you know where to find interesting sites nearby except beach area?

I plan to use 300mm and wide angles, either 15mm, or maybe 30mm, it depends on location.
Looks like it's been rescheduled for Saturday. I'm sure you'll get some good shots and hope we get to see some of them - I'm jealous!
05-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm jealous!
Not yet ))). I have no clue if I can get any pictures.
05-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Not yet ))). I have no clue if I can get any pictures.
I should check and see if my press pass and security clearance is still active. Probably not since I haven't used it in 6 years now but if it is...

Going out to the launch pad the day before one of the GPS satellite launches, standing only a couple hundred feet from the rocket itself, was a particularly stand-out opportunity.

05-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I should check and see if my press pass and security clearance is still active. Probably not since I haven't used it in 6 years now but if it is...

Going out to the launch pad the day before one of the GPS satellite launches, standing only a couple hundred feet from the rocket itself, was a particularly stand-out opportunity.
Wow. Do you have any pictures to show? Perhaps you are the best person who knows where to drive. I assume any sides of nearest roads will be packed. My best alternative probably will the the closest beach, but who knows what access will be permitted.
05-27-2020, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Back in 2008 I was able to see a shuttle launch. Pentax k10D and a cheap Promaster 70-300mm with 2x converter. We were 6 miles away...

f/8
1/1000s
ISO 200
450mm
Polarizer (shooting over 6 miles of water)

The photos are dark. I have better equipment now but haven't had the chance again. You have to under-expose some or you'll end up with the flames blown out. I underexposed too much.

https://flic.kr/p/eTseV3

05-28-2020, 03:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Do you have any pictures to show? Perhaps you are the best person who knows where to drive. I assume any sides of nearest roads will be packed. My best alternative probably will the the closest beach, but who knows what access will be permitted.
The last launch I attended was 11 years ago (gosh time flies, I roughly figured it was 6!), and we were bused to the launch center itself. There were a few others where I joined crowds gathering on beaches opposite the launch pads but I'd really have to tax my memory to remember the lesser known and less crowded spots I was invited to.

Your best bet is a websearch for "best launch viewing spots" and plan to get there at least a couple of hours early, preferably much earlier than that if you plan to photograph it. The best get taken fast.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-28-2020 at 06:40 AM.
05-28-2020, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Do you have any pictures to show?
Why yes I do, in fact an article we wrote a few days after that launch pad visit:
USAF successfully launch the new GPS IIF1 satellite

I have quite a few shots we didn't publish there, a few I posted on another GPS discussion forum, and probably 100 or more that are... Somewhere in my files? I'll try to find them, as well as a copy of an article I wrote for a US based GPS magazine that is no longer in business. Pretty sure I have the original and photos, but again.... Somewhere?

EDIT: I read the article again for the first time in 15 years I remembered we were close, but not that we were just 70' from the rocket 12 hours before launch! That article includes one of the very few photos of me in existence since high school. I also have some taken by a Canon camera placed at one of the lauchpads at a later flight, set to begin shooting when it detected the fire from the rocket. In fact somewhere I have a photo of the camera afterward, much of it melted and the lens itself sandblasted into something almost unrecognizable.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-28-2020 at 06:49 AM.
05-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Why yes I do, in fact an article we wrote a few days after that launch pad visit:
USAF successfully launch the new GPS IIF1 satellite
Wow, that's great! Location matters

Now, since you mentioned crowds, I re-think the idea to go this time. Jetty park is open only for annual pass holders, and the beach from the other north part most likely will not be open yet. I'm not sure it's a good idea to stay in crowds, and I'm not sure about social distancing. Since I have place where to stay in my friend's house, and it is not the last launch, I probably better stay home safe than sorry. And watch the launch on TV this time.
05-28-2020, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Here's a link to an old thread on the Shuttle...

Space shuttle - PentaxForums.com

As for photographing the launch...use a good tripod. I photographed the Columbia launch from the VVIP view site (about 3 miles from pad 39A) eons ago...and even with a strong, heavy tripod, the ground was still shaking under my feet....naturally, my photo's were affected. Not sure how close you can get now days...but 3 mile limit was derived from the Apollo days.....engineers calculated that if the Saturn V blew up on the pad, the explosion would hurl a 100 pound piece of debris 3 miles....don't know if that is really true, but it's what all the old timers at NASA were telling us younger kids....we believed it then.

Good luck with your shots...hope they get good weather and can launch...post some pics!

Mark
05-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Here's a link to an old thread on the Shuttle...
Thanks for posting that old link Mark - interesting stuff

(OT ramble to follow - apologies!)
btw, I still have the *ist D I got from you nearly 10 yrs ago, and it's going strong! Just used it the other day with a Tak 35
05-28-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I told ya that was a good camera
05-29-2020, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #13

Photos: Albums
Anywhere in Titusville along the river will be good. Near a restaurant called El Leoncito is a good place. Max Brewer bridge is also a good one.

If you're not already aware, you're going to need to be early to whatever spot you choose. That area was packed by 10am on Wednesday for a 430 launch. It will be even worse Saturday. KSC Visitors center is already sold out.
05-29-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
Anywhere in Titusville along the river will be good. Near a restaurant called El Leoncito is a good place. Max Brewer bridge is also a good one.

If you're not already aware, you're going to need to be early to whatever spot you choose. That area was packed by 10am on Wednesday for a 430 launch. It will be even worse Saturday. KSC Visitors center is already sold out.
I guess another solution (for the future) would be to pay for the spot to avoid a crowd, I mean to book either hotel, or airbnb somewhere in Titusville with private pier on the river.
05-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I photographed the previous night launch. I did not believe my son that it will be visible from our location, did not prepare, then grabbed the camera with 35mm on it instead of telephoto. It was too late to change.

Here is what I got, and from what distance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo