Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I could have been Becky Sharpe and walked off with a huge haul of valuable stuff but I have to live with myself and sleep nights so gave a realistic valuation.
Good for you. It will probably make you happier to live with a clean conscience

06-05-2020, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do have the urge to buy expensive stuff once in a while. I have tempered myself to only buy not just what I can afford, but stuff that doesn't feel too expensive to be a sacrifice in other areas.

I once ignored that advice and I will share that it adversely affected the lives of the people I love.
06-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I do have the urge to buy expensive stuff once in a while. I have tempered myself to only buy not just what I can afford, but stuff that doesn't feel too expensive to be a sacrifice in other areas.

I once ignored that advice and I will share that it adversely affected the lives of the people I love.
I have changed my perspective on 'expensive'. I realized that the modern, digital trend of chasing IQ was my GAS downfall. At some point I realized that digital full frame has absolutely no advantage over APSc for what I do. Sometime later I realized that a snap-shooting hobbyist with $12,000 worth of photo gear is just absurd. I started buying film gear about 2 years ago to get back to my roots (I'm 63, grew up on film). I spent a decent chunk of change buying 645N, 35A, 45-85FA, and 80-160FA. That aside, the rest of my gear is 35mm. I got a perfectly functioning Canon EOS K2 on E-Bay for $9.88. These days, $100 for a lens is EXPENSIVE. I just splurged on a 25 year old Canon 1N; for $125. THAT was EXPENSIVE.
06-07-2020, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
There's also... I don't really need or want it but wow, that's a really good price for that!

And... I feel like I haven't bought anything in a while (it was only 6 weeks ago), I should look around and see what's out there
That's how I ended up with duplicate lenses.

06-07-2020, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Maybe dream bigger*.... I'm currently trying to pursuade my wife that I need Triumph Scrambler 1200..... so I can ride the backroads (impersonating Steve McQueen.... badly no doubt) and do my photography thing.

* I guess a leica dream is about the same size

I've been retired 10 years now.... and we are going ok money wise.... so I seem to becoming more prone to flippant expenditure urges.
06-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bassat Quote
I have changed my perspective on 'expensive'. I realized that the modern, digital trend of chasing IQ was my GAS downfall. At some point I realized that digital full frame has absolutely no advantage over APSc for what I do. Sometime later I realized that a snap-shooting hobbyist with $12,000 worth of photo gear is just absurd. I started buying film gear about 2 years ago to get back to my roots (I'm 63, grew up on film). I spent a decent chunk of change buying 645N, 35A, 45-85FA, and 80-160FA. That aside, the rest of my gear is 35mm. I got a perfectly functioning Canon EOS K2 on E-Bay for $9.88. These days, $100 for a lens is EXPENSIVE. I just splurged on a 25 year old Canon 1N; for $125. THAT was EXPENSIVE.
Yes, you're right. APS-C these days is pretty damn good...I cannot believe how good my D500 is sometimes, even at ISO6400. And it is a camera that has a huge shutter life and will last for many years to come.
06-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm currently trying to pursuade my wife that I need Triumph Scrambler 1200..... so I can ride the backroads (impersonating Steve McQueen.... badly no doubt) and do my photography thing.
I bet you'd get over that razor wire fence and have the photos to prove it.

06-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before a purchase I think to myself, am I going to still use this 5 years from now?...or am I going to wonder why I bought it in the first place? That pretty much resolves any desire over new equipment.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
we are going ok money wise.... so I seem to becoming more prone to flippant expenditure urges.
Financial stability is certainly a nice thing to have. It is comfortable, secure and completely boring. It seems to me in many areas of life, that nothing is quite as spectacular as instability.

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I bet you'd get over that razor wire fence ...
Better yet, have a video camera trained on you so your family can make a tidy sum off the youtube videos in case you don't.
07-25-2020, 02:03 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I can report that my GAS is under control. There was this K-30 in the classifieds for a good price, but being mindful of the the Chinese aperture solenoid affliction, I stayed away. This week I learned from reading stuff on the interwebs (this forum, actually) that the flash solenoid in my K-x will fit the K-30 if the worst happens. The K-x is pretty tired and needs duct tape to keep body and soul together the battery door closed, so I really want need another Pentax body. So I went to the used goods store that was advertising it. Sadly it as not there anymore. They forgot to pull the ad. Now if I had responded earlier, the K-30 could have been mine. But no matter, those are the breaks.

I then went to another used goods store around the corner. They had a Sigma 70-200mm AF lens for a reasonable price, but I kept my wallet in my pocket. I already have two Sigma 70-300mm zooms (one regular and one APO), one Pentax 70-210mm and one Pentax 100-300mm. One could say that I am good as far as tele zooms go. As for primes in that range, I can do 85mm, 100mm, 135mm (two) and 200mm (two). No need for another zoom, even a reasonably priced one, then.

When I got home, I checked on a local auction site. They have these snap auctions on Fridays that run from 09:00 to 14:00. There was a Pentax K-m body with Pentax DA 50-200mm lens. I already have a K200D. The K-m is the budget version of this. What would I want with another 10MP CCD body. Just in case the K200D dies? Nah, let's not go overboard. Besides, if this new doggy needs a visit to the vet it could be an expensive mongrel. And a 50-200mm is not needed, as I said before. So I did not bid. The thing went for a rock bottom price but a bidding war might have ensued if I got involved.

So there is my story for the week. Perhaps I should reward myself for being a good boy. There is this 100mm macro lens that is on sale. Oh, wait...
07-25-2020, 02:32 AM   #40
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently undergoing a cycle, which started last year really. I've pretty much cracked it in terms of what I want, I just haven't got it yet and there's a couple more decisions to make. Most of that has been finally deciding what kind of photographer I am and what I enjoy. I briefly dabbled with the thought of a full frame mirrorless but they don't really appeal and a lot of lenses seem an ungainly size on them. I found myself attracted to small primes again which I already have in Pentax, so now I'm after a KP, a 20-40ltd, possibly a 15 Ltd and a 1.4 tc, maybe a 70 and I think that will suit me. After that I may give up reading this place as it's bad for the wallet!
07-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The cycle of GAS and the bloat or regret that follows
I can honestly say that for me any kit purchased is on a need/demand basis... i.e. one that current kit cannot cover.

Hence I seldom buy... as I'm lucky enough to have the bases already covered.
07-26-2020, 03:12 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The situation around the temptation of the 100mm macro sorted itself out. It is not advertised anymore, presumably sold. It was on sale for months. I really should have not have procrastinated. I blame the lockdown and working from home thing. Yes, I could have had it delivered. But then I would have had to answer awkward questions when it arrived at the door. The local government frowns upon GAS, you see. I could have gone to the shop to pick it up, but that would have taken several hours. It's hard to explain a prolonged absence to the local government when working from home. I actually need special permission from my employer to go to the office, you see. Not having to go to the office has its downside...
09-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One step sideways...

I did pick up another UWA, but not the DA*11-18. Picked up a new DA 10-17mm Fisheye from a local camera shop's closing sale. I mostly use it as a "combination" prime so far, either really fishy at 10mm or really wide at 17mm. I could see it replacing my Sigma 10-20mm, if I like using it on the night sky.

So my system would be:
KP (or K-new?)
10-17
20-40
50 1.8
55-300 PLM

Looks like I should get the 15 LTD to slot below the 20-40 and above the 10-17... or the new DA*16-50 to replace the 20-40 and 50...

And a step backwards:

LomoGraflok 4×5 Instant Back · Lomography Shop

Being able to dabble in large format at less than $1 a shot and no processing time sounds perfect... I wonder if the Nagaoka 4x5 is still at the remaining LCS, or if I should just order an Intrepid mk4, and get the Schneider 150/265mm combination lens and a decent 90 he might still have...