05-31-2020, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tokina Opera 50mm f1.4

Here is a link to the you tube review by Christopher Frost Photography

05-31-2020, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I'd seen it. A pretty good review. No mention of the Pentax link; indeed, he seems to think it's a an in-house Tokina creation:

" ... It's interesting for me to see a lens manufacturer doing something outside their normal comfort zone", .... "The best Tokina lens I've ever tested."

The only criticisms were the weight and slightly soft corners unless stopped down a bit.
06-01-2020, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
No mention of the Pentax link; indeed, he seems to think it's a an in-house Tokina creation
Yes. That struck me too. But it is surprising how little some of these "experts" know (and what they just make up). For amusement I had looked at some other sites to see what comment the DFA 85/1.4 had raised. The cats really have their claws out and the lens has not even hit the shelves! Like the 50/1.4 I guess if it gets licensed to Tokina it will immediately become an in-house Tokina creation.
06-01-2020, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I generally like Chris, his reviews have been consistent. He had changed the format a little here and I just can't trust his corner sharpness criticism. He used it on an adaptor on both cameras, to me that is unforgivable in a review. All adaptors have some influence, and it is never positive.

06-01-2020, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Yes. That struck me too. But it is surprising how little some of these "experts" know (and what they just make up). For amusement I had looked at some other sites to see what comment the DFA 85/1.4 had raised. The cats really have their claws out and the lens has not even hit the shelves! Like the 50/1.4 I guess if it gets licensed to Tokina it will immediately become an in-house Tokina creation.
There seems to be a lot of sour grapes about the D FA* 85/1.4. Even among the Pentax base there are grumblings. It would be nice if people who did reviews of these things would take the time to figure out where the equipment comes from and make mention of that. By pretending the Opera lens is a Tokina design, the reviewer is making a lie of omission.
06-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very defensive about it too!
06-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Opera lens is a Tokina design, the reviewer is making a lie of omission.
I really don't see how he pretended that the Tokina Opera is a Tokina design. He merely presented it as it is and he hasn't lied about anything.
It is a Tokina branded product and he gave it a fair review. Sharp but less so in the corners, some purple fringing at f 1.4 but it clears up quickly and it has LoCA at f 1.4 that also clears up quickly.

Christopher tests a lot of high quality lenses.

The lens is what it is regardless of who designed it.

He also gave it a recommendation.

I have the sister lens ( HD Pentax D FA* 50 mm f 1.4) and I think this review is representative of that lens too.
I am not sure about the softness on the corners at f 1.4. I am struggling to see when you would take a photo at f 1.4 and require sharp corners anyhow?

Last edited by BROO; 06-01-2020 at 04:37 PM.
06-01-2020, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I really don't see how he pretended that the Tokina Opera is a Tokina design.
There was a strong implication that it was developed by Tokina. It doesn't concern me though.

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I am struggling to see when you would take a photo at f 1.4 and require sharp corners anyhow?
Landscape in poor light? But really, looking back at the 2000 shots I've taken with the DFA* 50, there is not one at f/1.4-1.8 where it would have mattered. In the absence of a test chart, I really don't know if the corners are a little soft or not.