Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Considering a 43" 4k TV as a monitor

For the last several years I've been using a high-end 2011 model 30" Dell U3011 for my main computer. It runs a very useful 2560x1600 16:10 resolution, but it was close to $1500 at introduction and is capable of a 10-bit workflow, so it's probably been overkill for me as a hobbyist, but I got a really good deal on it since it had a small scratch on the screen.

Anyway, I've been wanting to upgrade to a larger, 4k screen since I also use my computer for gaming and some TV viewing. A 43" would be the largest I could go for my desk and my viewing distance.

Is anybody running a 43" TV as a computer monitor? I'm wondering if there are any models that would work well for photo editing. I know that TV's are a slightly different beast than dedicated computer monitors, and some features that make a great TV can interfere with accuracy as a monitor, so I wonder if anybody has experience in this regard.

I've been trying to use rtings.com as a guide, but they rarely review the smaller variants of model lineups, so their results cannot always be extrapolated. In fact most professional review sites tend to review the mid-size models, so it's hard to find much first-hand information on the smaller sizes.

Thanks!

06-02-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Is anybody running a 43" TV as a computer monitor? I'm wondering if there are any models that would work well for photo editing. I know that TV's are a slightly different beast than dedicated computer monitors, and some features that make a great TV can interfere with accuracy as a monitor, so I wonder if anybody has experience in this regard.
How far from your monitor are you willing to sit? I don't know about your desk, but mine would not be deep enough.

Sorry for the brevity, but if you need more screen real estate, you are probably better served by a dual monitor setup than a larger screen.

Steve
06-02-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I have a Samsung 28 inch monitor 3840 x 2160. My other is a 10 year old iMac with 2160 x 1600 27 and I actually prefer it to 3840. (I know, I'm not helping.)

The larger monitor even though it's only an inch bigger, makes it really hard to find the mouse at times. I have to lean back so I can see the whole screen and wiggle the mouse until I see the cursor. The Apple system makes the mouse cursor larger and larger when you do that until you pick it up. I wouldn't even try a large monitor on a Windows system unless I knew it had that feature. I have to lean back on a 27 inch system. I can't imagine what it would be like on 43. You might have to walk back into the next room.

The other issue being the contrast values are quite bit different between TVs and monitors What looks acceptable on my monitor gets bumped in sharpness contrast and saturation on my TV. I like it for viewing pictures, I'm not sure I'd like it for editing them.

IN any case, lots to think about. if I were me, I wouldn't buy one unless I could try it out somewhere to determine I'd be happy with it. I did try it with my 55 inch 4k TV when I first got a computer with a 4k card in it, it didn't last long. It was immediately disappointing, but, so much so that it's trial was very short. Maybe someone else could get used to it if the stuck with it and don't have ADD.
06-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't mess with 43"! This one might be what you are looking for;

NEC Multisync 98" Ultra High Definition 3840x2160 LED Monitor - C981Q - Large-Format Displays - CDW.com

06-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote

Those are used for meeting rooms and such!

Steve
06-02-2020, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should check out this distance chart to see if a 43" TV screen will work for you. Its has 1080p & 4k distances.

What's the Best Size TV for My Room?

Phil.
06-02-2020, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You should check out this distance chart to see if a 43" TV screen will work for you. Its has 1080p & 4k distances.

What's the Best Size TV for My Room?

Phil.
My 55 is good for about 6 feet away. You have no idea how awkward it feels to be that far from your computer screen.
06-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

And if using windows and you can't find your mouse pointer, just press and hold CTRL and it should flash a shrinking circle around it. (Windows 10) I would stick with a high quality monitor rather than trying too use a Television.

06-03-2020, 01:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My 55 is good for about 6 feet away. You have no idea how awkward it feels to be that far from your computer screen.
Lol, not that I disagree in the least, but I actually do have some idea:

That's a 65" Vizio M series behind my "little" Dell 30".

My Vizio started having a problem recently with occasionally flashing a black screen, so I took the opportunity to replace our living room TV. In the meantime, I discovered that our Vizio could probably be repaired by replacing the main board. My wife didn't like the Vizio sitting around on the floor, so partly to get it out of the way, and partly out of curiosity, I stuck it on my computer desk just to see what it's like.

And it's overwhelming...sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way.

Anyway, it's obviously way too big to work on, since you have to crane your neck to see the top of the screen, but I think that a 43" mounted flush on the wall and as far down as possible might work. When sitting in my normal working position, my eyes would be about 3' away from the 43" screen with it mounted on the wall. With my 30" monitor on its stand, my eyes are usually about 22" away from the screen.

PS. How come the images I inserted, hosted on my own site, don't show up, and instead have to be clicked on to view? I haven't posted on the site in a while, but it used to not be like that.
06-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is anybody running a 43" TV as a computer monitor?
I'm running a cheap (Aldi Bauhn) 50" 4K TV as my monitor. I am happy with the size but wouldn't go any bigger.

Viewing distance is about 30" and I'm mostly using the centre 2/3s with space around for other things. It is MUCH better than using multiple screens (it replaced six 22" to 24" screens).

As usual YMMV.
06-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I used the exact same monitor as you (Dell U3011) for about six years. When I built a new computer in 2017, I upgraded to a Viewsonic VX4380, which is a 43" 4K monitor (not TV) for $750. I don't regret spending that much on it at all. It's excellent. There are probably better, maybe cheaper options out there by now, as technology marches on.

All my research from the time may be outdated now, but back then, nearly all 4k TV's were only capable of 30HZ (not the 60HZ minimum of any computer monitor) - which is terrible for video games (which I also do a lot of on this monitor). Anything moving on the screen is noticeably choppy. Also, like Norm said, TV's tend to over-boost colors, contrast, and sharpness, at the expense of accuracy. Expect ghosting and sharpening artifacts everywhere. They're not designed to stand up to the scrutiny of a still image at close distance.

With a 4K screen this big, sitting at computer-monitor distance, you're getting more real estate, not more sharpness. The effect of 4k becomes less impressive, but more practical. It's about the same size and sharpness of four regular 21" 1080p monitors in a grid. There's plenty of room to open lots of windows at once. I'm used to multi-monitor set-ups, but I don't miss it with all the space on this one monitor, especially with the bonus of being able to run Lightroom in one gigantic window (or games )

I used a 27" 4k monitor for a little while as well. The sharpness is really impressive in a monitor that size, but most things are designed for less pixel density and can get uncomfortably small. There's DPI scaling to compensate, but it also causes many little issues of its own: interfaces not fitting together right, bloated, pixelated icons, mismatched text sizes... it's getting better, but still needs improvement, at least in Windows. I've heard Apple handles this problem a little better.
07-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
dlh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a 43" LG model 43UD79-B monitor as our main television. Of course there's a Dell something or other oldish Win 7 machine running that monitor. There's a SiliconDust "HDHomeRun" 2-tuner box attached to my ethernet LAN, and a traditional medium sized aluminum rod antenna on the roof. So the computer gets a "streaming video" from the tuner box over the LAN, and all the other computer devices in range of the house' "wifi" can display TV as well, and with two tuners in the box, we can watch two different channels simultaneously or record off one while watching the other (the computer is the DVR).

I've attached specs on the monitor, notice a key point: "pre-calibrated". By the way, I also have Silkypix & Affinity on the same computer, even though it isn't my official "photography computer", and I do use it for editing even though it's pretty slow by comparison. But this is the computer that talks to the InterNet, so sometimes I'm in a rush to edit something right away so I can post or email it (where I can sit at the dining room table and drink tea while I'm doing all that, rather than my office which is so cluttered I can barely turn around in it).

Last edited by dlh; 14 Hours Ago at 08:39 AM.
08-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I know that TV's are a slightly different beast than dedicated computer monitors, ...
Indeed.

You'd have to make sure that you can turn off any typical enhancements such as black level or contrast adjustments.
You should also check whether the monitor can be made to track a typical photo editing gamma, such as sRGB gamma.

You can always calibrate a monitor but if its out of the box performance is off you'll either never get an optimal result or lose many tonal values in the process.

I have a 42" Sony TV set which measured extremely well with all the fancy enhancements turned off, so I'd say it is definitely possible to get a very suitable model. Viewing angles should normally not be a problem but since you'll use closer than normal viewing distances, it is worth checking that the model supports the respective viewing angles without changing contrast or even colours.
08-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I can only report positive things from using a 49" 4k TV with Windows 10 scaling at 150%. Easy to calibrate with a Spyder.

I see zero disadvantages versus a dedicated computer screen and a lot of advantages, especially when watching images.

And large TVs are always much cheaper than gear for computer nerds.