Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OPTIC sans Pentax/Ricoh?

I watched some of B&H's OPTIC this weekend and look forward to watching more. Good speakers and inspiring images. This was my first time "attending" OPTIC.

I looked at lists of sponsors, product demos, etc. and saw no mention of Ricoh or Pentax. Maybe that's normal, but kind of a bummer considering the quality of their gear.

Wondering if I might have missed something.

06-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I’ve watched a lot of the Optic speakers on YouTube over the years, mostly the wildlife topics but some of the others also. I don’t ever recall seeing Ricoh/Pentax as a sponsor of any of them, but advertising isn’t something they seem to know how to do.

You would think for maybe the biggest US Pentax retailer they would sponsor something during Optic. Maybe the lack of any brand sponsored photographers that could speak there has something to do with it.

If anyone has interest in wildlife photography I would highly recommend watching Ron Magill Optic videos on YouTube from previous years.
06-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about the talks themselves, but the 85mm pre-order link was sent out at the very top of today's B&H OPTIC affiliate e-mail

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2020, 03:43 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I watched some of B&H's OPTIC this weekend and look forward to watching more. Good speakers and inspiring images. This was my first time "attending" OPTIC.

I looked at lists of sponsors, product demos, etc. and saw no mention of Ricoh or Pentax. Maybe that's normal, but kind of a bummer considering the quality of their gear.

Wondering if I might have missed something.
I guess that depends of the public you want to reach. If I look at the advertising campaigns of Canison, then I can conclude that they aim at the people that are photographing wildlife on safaris, have holidays climbing mountains and wild river adventures. So that is more about activities and the camera obviously comes second hand. But with Ricoh/Pentax and Pentax of old they are more aiming on the photographic tools themselves that they manufacture and even in the manuals as with their flyers you always see people. They also do a lot with macro shots. But you might question the way they support their dealers. Especially when in Europe the Ricoh shop make special offers that you can not buy at a dealer. Sometimes it is also laughable, as the prices at the dealer are lower than the special Ricoh offer. They always use the RRP as the prices from which they give 10 or 15% deduction with the result that the dealer in town most of the time offers a better price. Might also be a clever way of getting people to the dealers, because we all compare prices, don't we? But none the less, they make outstanding gear and deserve their place in "Camera-land".

06-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure about the talks themselves, but the 85mm pre-order link was sent out at the very top of today's B&H OPTIC affiliate e-mail
Well, that's cool. Nice lens as a reminder to those looking that Pentax is still making solid, quality gear in the background of all the big name buzz.