Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why can i do macro without my reading glasses?

I can't read a newspaper but if i look through my camera it is crystal clear. I don't have to change the diopter from distance to close focus. When it is sharp to me, the picture comes out sharp. If i change to live view i can't see clear.

06-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lens focuses the image of the subject onto the focusing screen. No matter whether it's macro or infinity focusing setting, the focused image is sharp on the focus screen.

The focus screen image is relayed by the pentaprism through the viewfinder optics and into your eyeball. Those viewfinder optics can have a fixed focus setting (the diopter setting that you chose) and they don't have to change because the distance from the focus screen to your eyeball does change.
06-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The lens focuses the image of the subject onto the focusing screen.
Ok thanks. So i am viewing a camera obscura image, i am not looking out the lens.
It is really just a more live, live view.
06-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #4

As I recall the virtual image on the focus screen is set to appear as at infinity to the eye. You can test this by focusing the camera lens on an object at infinity. Keep with both eyes open and the object should be in focus for both eyes.

06-12-2020, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I remember that in Modern Photography camera tests, among the specs they measure was the "apparent viewing distance" of the focusing screen, and if I remember well it use to be around a meter, depending on the tested camera.
06-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
I remember that in Modern Photography camera tests, among the specs they measure was the "apparent viewing distance" of the focusing screen, and if I remember well it use to be around a meter, depending on the tested camera.
This is what I have read as well. If you can see something a meter away from you clearly, then you should be able to see the screen clearly as well.
06-13-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I am extremely myopic - anything over about nine inches away starts to get blurry, and a walk though woodland sans lunettes is like an Impressionist painting for me. I wear distance glasses when using the viewfinder (with magnifier), but for Live View (on a tripod) I find it easier with no spectacles. This does introduce its own problems of aiming originally, then ensuring the subject is framed. But then, if life was easy, it wouldn't half get boring !