Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2020, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

It is time now for Pentax

I used to read Youtube products review before purchase, there are very few review of Pentax equipments mainly from the same few Pentaxian, but recently I found there are more even from those Nikon/Canon...etc. die-hard. It seems to me all of a sudden some people feel the threat of Pentax, or they got bored with the brand they used for long time that releasing new models rapidly ? most good words I read about Pentax are the soild build quality and feature value for money, the bad are slow AF and lacks and lags in the video department that I couldn't care less.

06-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
the bad are slow AF
the new plm and redesigned sdm motors are pretty darn fast.
sounds like the new aps-c is going to have a new AF module as well!
06-14-2020, 11:50 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I used to read Youtube products review before purchase, there are very few review of Pentax equipments mainly from the same few Pentaxian, but recently I found there are more even from those Nikon/Canon...etc. die-hard. It seems to me all of a sudden some people feel the threat of Pentax, or they got bored with the brand they used for long time that releasing new models rapidly ? most good words I read about Pentax are the soild build quality and feature value for money, the bad are slow AF and lacks and lags in the video department that I couldn't care less.
I keep on shouting from the roofs: AF is not slow! Yes, the DC and SDM motors are a bit faster than screwdrive, but most of the time Ricoh/Pentax is pretty accurate with AF. And yes, unlike Canon, Nikon and Sony, Ricoh/Pentax is not focused when you turn it on.
06-15-2020, 12:00 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I think that's just because Pentax has fewer new models and users. Doesn't make it bad though. Reviewers get money based on total number of viewers. So it's natural that people review the latest models that most people use. I don't pay attention to Youtube videos though. Usually they use the camera for a week, and thus can't really say much about it besides what can already be guessed from specifications. When I do read reviews I wait for people who specialize in a specific kind of photography that have actually used the equipment in depth and can compare it to something else.

06-15-2020, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Whenever I do a general search for DSLR equipment on UK Gumtree, I am inundated with ads for Cansonikon, but nary a Pentax to be seen. My personal theory is that many of the purchasers of the equipment on offer are more interested in, for want of a better word, 'jewellery' that they can hang the very latest model round their neck to 'impress' people, and have to upgrade every time a replacement model is 'released' (and I use the word advisedly). Either that, or they cannot manage to master the controls and options, and hope that a newer model will be easier for them to 'use'. I realise that all generalisations (including this one) are inaccurate - has anyone else any thoughts ? Me, I'll stick with what I know (and am still learning).
06-15-2020, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Whenever I do a general search for DSLR equipment on UK Gumtree, I am inundated with ads for Cansonikon, but nary a Pentax to be seen. My personal theory is that many of the purchasers of the equipment on offer are more interested in, for want of a better word, 'jewellery' that they can hang the very latest model round their neck to 'impress' people, and have to upgrade every time a replacement model is 'released' (and I use the word advisedly). Either that, or they cannot manage to master the controls and options, and hope that a newer model will be easier for them to 'use'. I realise that all generalisations (including this one) are inaccurate - has anyone else any thoughts ? Me, I'll stick with what I know (and am still learning).
I shoot with a K1 and some fairly nice glass. Barely a month goes past when somebody doesn't say: ' Sooooo you are obviously keen on photography... When are you going to get a Canon or Nikon?' I always thank them for their advice. They are caring people and don't want me to be held back by inferior equipment.
06-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I think that's just because Pentax has fewer new models and users. Doesn't make it bad though. Reviewers get money based on total number of viewers. So it's natural that people review the latest models that most people use. I don't pay attention to Youtube videos though. Usually they use the camera for a week, and thus can't really say much about it besides what can already be guessed from specifications. When I do read reviews I wait for people who specialize in a specific kind of photography that have actually used the equipment in depth and can compare it to something else.
I am just too lazy to read ! not only camera equipment but computer stuffs as well, usually I tell how experience the reviewer is and if they are biased in the first 5min.

06-15-2020, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
When are you going to get a Canon or Nikon?
At the start of term some students in my studio classes raise an eyebrow when I mention I work with Pentax and Leica - brands that are distinctly off their radar*: but by the end of the semester I have some of them considering a switch themselves. I have several work colleagues that have changed systems, their choices have been in no small way influenced by my consistently high quality work and efficiency in the studio.

* sometimes due to ignorance or the cost involved. Starting out with Pentax is pretty affordable depending upon your standards, starting out with Leica involves a considerable investment just for very basic equipment....but at least Leica is consistently good regarding optics.
06-15-2020, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
I shoot with a K1 and some fairly nice glass. Barely a month goes past when somebody doesn't say: ' Sooooo you are obviously keen on photography... When are you going to get a Canon or Nikon?' I always thank them for their advice. They are caring people and don't want me to be held back by inferior equipment.
I have never received that comment. But then again, I'm big and mean looking, and people watch what they say.
06-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I keep on shouting from the roofs: AF is not slow! Yes, the DC and SDM motors are a bit faster than screwdrive, but most of the time Ricoh/Pentax is pretty accurate with AF. And yes, unlike Canon, Nikon and Sony, Ricoh/Pentax is not focused when you turn it on.
I have shot Pentax K1 and 645Z side by side with Canon 5DMKIV's. I couldn't detect a speed difference, so if there is one it's below my ability to detect it. YMMV. What I did see was that my Pentax cameras focused more surely on the correct thing in weird situations.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have never received that comment. But then again, I'm big and mean looking, and people watch what they say.
I aspire to this...
06-15-2020, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
but nary a Pentax to be seen
It's crazy to flip through old National Geographics in used book stores - the old Pentax ads are awesome!
And I've seen Japanese Pentax commercials from way back too..
Too bad they let the marketing side go
06-15-2020, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
At the start of term some students in my studio classes raise an eyebrow when I mention I work with Pentax and Leica - brands that are distinctly off their radar*: but by the end of the semester I have some of them considering a switch themselves. I have several work colleagues that have changed systems, their choices have been in no small way influenced by my consistently high quality work and efficiency in the studio.

* sometimes due to ignorance or the cost involved. Starting out with Pentax is pretty affordable depending upon your standards, starting out with Leica involves a considerable investment just for very basic equipment....but at least Leica is consistently good regarding optics.
When I told my friends I had decided on Pentax the replies ranged from "Why not Canon?" to "A what now?". The photos started talking for themselves as early as I managed to stop* fumbling around . I don't even have amazing glass, but any "modern" DSLR with a 50/1.7 lens is basically a foolproof choice. I would think that Leica is beyond the scope of anyone who wants to start without needing a loan from the bank - and I'd argue that the qualities of Leica equipment would be at least lost on most people (myself included).

*Okay, once the "fumbling around" rate went under 100%... I'm working on it .

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
The DC motor of my 28-105 is fast, accurate and silent, but the Tokina 70-210's screwdrive is very fast. Loud and proud, but very fast .
AF.S with back button focus and center spot has never given me accuracy issues even in pretty dim light, although it would admittedly be easier to have all the focus points at the same level...

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 08:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Yeah, it feels like people bash the features/performance of cameras based on the default settings for everything. As I like to bash with equality, that also means that manufacturers should make it easier to set stuff up so that it works - the camera shouldn't be getting in your way.
06-15-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
any "modern" DSLR with a 50/1.7 lens is basically a foolproof choice.
^THIS^ I tell students that a lot can be done with a single light source, and film camera equipped with decent film and a basic 50mm lens.

I would think that Leica is beyond the scope of anyone who wants to start without needing a loan from the bank
...or be fortunate like me and be born into a family of photographers with bags of gear.
06-15-2020, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, it feels like people bash the features/performance of cameras based on the default settings for everything. As I like to bash with equality, that also means that manufacturers should make it easier to set stuff up so that it works - the camera shouldn't be getting in your way.
I'm not even sure that's true. I think the true reason for bashing is that it generates controversy, and thereby more hits! I mean, when I read specialized reviews by small-time bloggers, they're more interested in giving a balanced and thorough review, whereas big YouTube videos are more concerned with clicks and flash. Because that is their motivation, they are not really expressing the true nature of someone who wants to use the camera for photography, and that kind of makes them biased and fake. -- Not saying all YouTubers are like that, just a lot of them.