Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned other brands as sideline cameras back in the film days...and started out with a Sony in digital...but other than that, I'm pretty firmly in the Pentax camp although I do have a Lumix GH4 for video these days.

06-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I primarily shoot Pentax... K-1 when I need the detail and have the slow pace to allow. I really think that 36MP is the perfect amount, K-3 when I need a little bit more zoom/punch + fast pace... Both/Double-wield at events (K-1 = close pics, K-3 far)

Film: k1000, p30, ME Super (probably my least favorite Pentax anything ever), Z-5

Previous (given away): K-5, K-01 (Bday gift for sister), KP (for brother's wife)

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I use a Panasonic G85 for video. Very nice 4K output perfectly sufficient for home movies.
I'm with Self. Acquired a G85 kind of on a whim, because I wanted something with better Video, while also scratching my EVF itch when I feel like I'm being left behind. It's a pretty amazing camera on its own. The 4k is buttery, although the AF-zooming in video can fluctuate relentlessly. Manual is the way to go. The IBIS is really really good too! It has a fully articulating screen, and its touch too. The 4k-photo mode is kind of a cool gimmick. One thing that is extremely underrated until you have it, is the ability to shoot silently!! During an event, and you have that one person where you can hear that mirror-slap over and over again. If there is one thing that mirrorless 100% has over DSLR, this has to be it! It really does plug most/all of the holes that Pentax isn't. And the entry level lenses are dirt cheap! But since I shoot manual during video, a Pentax adapter is super clutch.

Olympus RIP TG-860: This is my go-to underwater/rugged camera. They have other rugged cameras from other brands too, with slightly better specs. But I think this is the best one simply because it is the only rugged camera that possesses a flip-up screen. There is a kind of 'haze' (not sure how else to describe it, especially when underwater, just re-emerging) over the pictures + 1080p video though, but I don't mind it really.

DJI Mavic Pro: Drone, I don't use it as much as I should... but the footage and capabilities are truly amazing! It's also just really fun to fly. It really does shake up your paradigm, and way of viewing something!

DJI Mobile 3: This only works with a person's phone... but it is quite the gimbal! It has so many cool capabilities. You can track a subject, create panaramas, timelapse, cool transition(s) features. It's the full package. And crazy that it only costs $100. And since it uses your phone, you just need to upgrade your phone, to upgrade the 'camera'. It can replace a lot of things!!

I love street photography and the ability to keep a APS-C capable camera that is pocketable, so a GRIII feels like it might be in the future in the next 2-3 years (even if they come out with a IV, I'll still just pick up the III). But right now that's pretty much it, until the K-New drops. All I really feel like I need/want is something with a higher buffer/fps, and probably do prefer APS-C for the extra 1.5x punch. Be perfect for birding/event. (sadly, that video-conference had me a bit underwhelmed) Give me a FA-teleconverter (that works with other brand lenses too! this one is not really needed though), and I feel I will be set for the foreseeable future!

Previous: Sony a6000...this is truly a do-it-all camera!! I've never seen a camera that can take 11fps pictures before. And the AF is pretty amazing with how wide spread it is! The size is super compact too. It is almost pocketable w/pancake lens. 1080p is top-quality as well, with 24MP photos. It is only really let down by god-awful battery life!!!!!!! (given to sister when she entered college 2-years ago). My father was gifted an Olympus EM-5 II, as part of a Free flight give away if you purchased one 4-5 years ago. Best Deal ever!!! (flight home for holidays, and my father was able to get his 1st digital camera... he used to be an old professional Nikon film shooter before giving it up)

Last edited by landofcourtness; 06-26-2020 at 08:27 AM.
06-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
x100t (travel), sigma dp3merrill (torture to shoot, but just can't quit it)
06-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #49
Veteran Member

There is only one camera that is also my other camera K10d.

I am aware it lacks high ISO, it is far from perfect at ISO 1600, its AF is not as fast and as steady with later bodies.
Despite all these shortcomings the K10d is still my favorite camera. The reason is simple : excellent image quality.

Last edited by Fluegel; 08-02-2020 at 02:53 AM.
07-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon G3X superzoom : 24 to 600 mm FF equivalent.