Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What is your other camera ?

I shoot Pentax mainly but I also used other made such as Fuji, I love the handling and menu design of Pentax, but I like Fuji's low light quality in high ISO more (XE2 vs K3). I also want to try m43 such as OM, actually my first DSLR was OM E300 (yes a 43 DSLR), and like the styling of digital Pen F since I started from shooting film, unfortunately Pentax has nothing like that. I got couple Russian copy of Leica/Contax RF, they are slow to operate and without a good lens I rarely shoot with them, so that I would love to try the digital version of it, not necessary a real RF but the styling similar, especially good for street and casual shoot while I want to travel light. I've less interest on bridge camera as before, although the sensor is small combine with a mega zoom the size and weight as much as a DSLR why bother, what about you ?

06-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm mainly in the Pentax camp but I sometimes break out one of my Lumix bridge cameras. I especially like my FZ-50, which is a clone of the Leica V-LUX 1, as a 'walking around ' camera when I don't want to be bothered with extra gear. Some people say the V-LUX 1 is more a re-badged Panasonic than the FX-50 is a re-badged Leica but I don't care. The camera looks and handles like a DSLR with focusing and zoom rings on the lens. I've never cared much for the toggle switches most fixed lens cameras have. It's only 10 megapixels but I've taken some great pictures with it.
06-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just Pentax here.
To me it's not worth maintaining multiple systems or even formats...
06-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I use a Panasonic G85 for video. Very nice 4K output perfectly sufficient for home movies. The stills aren't bad either when I'm just taking snapshots of the kids.

And then I have an Instax Mini 90, because it's fun and people get a kick out of it.

06-14-2020, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although I have many cameras, the only other ones that get any use are an iPhone or one of various iPads kicking about the house that provide basic snapshots of whatever.

If I care about the image, I always use my K-1.
06-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
like the styling of digital Pen F
Its great fun,discontinued now but some rumours are saying there will be a mark2.Olympus have a couple of camera bodies in the pipeline,possibly a PenF?So, if I was you I'd watch what they release between now and Xmas.Probably plenty of upgrading going on when its announced and maybe some bargains?

The downside of the original Pen F is no weather sealing and only 1080video.As a stills camera its very good,plenty of neat features.

Its the main body in my lightweight kit,at last count 81 native AF lenses to choose from and most ive tried(not a lot) are reasonable in good light.

Some say the menus are complicated but I dont think thats the case,theres just lots of features and ya need to find out where they are.
06-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I want a small pretty-darn-good camera, I take my Canon G15. Otherwise, it's the K-3 or K-1.

06-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

I have my Pentax K-3 as primary body and my older Pentax K-7 as secondary body. I love the combo that enables to share batteries and lenses between the two systems.

Whenever I can, I like to bring the two cameras with different lenses, often primes. Thus I do not need to swap lenses, I simply swap (camera+lens) system, much more quickly. And yes, some would argue that the K-7 may be outdated; but at low ISO with a great IQ lens (like a VL58mm or one of the three amigos), the K-7 is still a winner!!!

My 5 cents....
06-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #9

Other than my primary K1, I have a K5iis as well as a Leica M10 and Leica Q. The best thing is that I can use my Pentax glass with my M10. I probably use my Pentaxes most of the time, but when I want to settle down and really think about composition and exposure, my M10 in manual mode is my preferred route.
06-14-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Three Sony MILCs (including A7 full frame), Canon G7x premium compact, Samsung 1" MILC, Ricoh GR II. The A7 got very annoyed when I bought my K-1, it was forced to live in a dark cupboard and doesn't come out very often now.
06-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I'm mainly in the Pentax camp but I sometimes break out one of my Lumix bridge cameras. I especially like my FZ-50, which is a clone of the Leica V-LUX 1, as a 'walking around ' camera when I don't want to be bothered with extra gear. Some people say the V-LUX 1 is more a re-badged Panasonic than the FX-50 is a re-badged Leica but I don't care. The camera looks and handles like a DSLR with focusing and zoom rings on the lens. I've never cared much for the toggle switches most fixed lens cameras have. It's only 10 megapixels but I've taken some great pictures with it.
Oh yeah I forgot I did have a Fuji S1 before, it was a small super zoom with weather sealing smaller than the Lumix. I never enjoy the menu design of Fuji, like the X30 a P&S type 3x zoom camera, I specially hated the multi function ring at the lens mount, it has 'soft detent' which was so tired to use I always 'overshoot' while changing settings, it should be made with harder stops, the menu design layout of Fuji also confusing and slow to use. For example on the XE2, there are custom settings C1-C7, I set C2 to high ISO and flash off..etc., when I done shooting with it I want to return to 'default', but there is no default, when I turn back to C1 the settings will be over written by C2 ! if I want a default I have to set to another custom settings I don't know what logic is that !? overall Pentax has the best menu design and handling nothing can beat !

Another madness with Fuji was the 'silent mode', it had nothing to do with the beeper but to disable the flash what a translation !!! Fuji finally corrected that in later firmware after I yelling in the forum ! beside the menu design the physical handling of Fuji also bad, they finally put a usable grip on it to make it slightly easy to hold without too much of front heavy

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The downside of the original Pen F is no weather sealing and only 1080video
Not quite a miss to me I rarely shoot video but weather sealing is good to have.

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 11:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have my Pentax K-3 as primary body and my older Pentax K-7 as secondary body. I love the combo that enables to share batteries and lenses between the two systems.

Whenever I can, I like to bring the two cameras with different lenses, often primes. Thus I do not need to swap lenses, I simply swap (camera+lens) system, much more quickly. And yes, some would argue that the K-7 may be outdated; but at low ISO with a great IQ lens (like a VL58mm or one of the three amigos), the K-7 is still a winner!!!

My 5 cents....
My first Pentax was the K20D I got in a bargain, then after few months I traded it for the K7 in a clearance sale, but it got sensor problem there are color banding at high ISO, I had it fixed by Pentax and traded it soon after for a K5, it got very noticeable improvement at high ISO and I used it for a year, then traded for the K3 I am still using now, my next K would be the replacement of it, not a FF due to size and weight.

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stilettodude Quote
Other than my primary K1, I have a K5iis as well as a Leica M10 and Leica Q. The best thing is that I can use my Pentax glass with my M10. I probably use my Pentaxes most of the time, but when I want to settle down and really think about composition and exposure, my M10 in manual mode is my preferred route.
I also used my K lenses on the Fuji XE2, and yes RF type camera takes more patience to use, not a everyday camera but for those want to enjoy photography no rush to produce result.

Last edited by lotech; 06-14-2020 at 08:46 PM.
06-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I bought my first Pentax, an MX, in 1979. The only camera I have bought since that isn't a Pentax is a Sony RX-100 Miii which I have owned for 5 years now...
06-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Three Sony MILCs (including A7 full frame), Canon G7x premium compact, Samsung 1" MILC, Ricoh GR II. The A7 got very annoyed when I bought my K-1, it was forced to live in a dark cupboard and doesn't come out very often now.
I heard good things about the A7, but sorry I never consider Sony a camera company, it got no root in photography but produced sensor for many cameras, and afaik Samsung produced sensors for Pentax too, also designed and produced the short lived but excellent NX series.

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 12:17 PM ----------

There is one more on my list I want to try if I've money to spare, it is the weird, unusual but excellent IQ, the Sigma Quartto series, most likely the DP3, or the less likely SD Quartto H. I know the limitation with it, I just want to see how it compares to a regular sensor camera. If I bought it will be a 'keeper', hard to find another silly guy will take it ha !

Last edited by lotech; 06-14-2020 at 09:22 PM.
06-14-2020, 10:45 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shoot about 16 different brands over about 25 different bodies. They all take photos and don't complain (much) during the process.

Steve
06-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #15
Unregistered User

Second camera the Panasonic LX 3/Samsung NX100 (which, by the way, is almost a Pentax mirrorless)