Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2020, 11:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon D500 for birds and wildlife. I started with the K50 and I also have a K5, but those will probably be my last Pentax cameras. I don't see the K5 in particular dying any time soon though, seems built like a tank. Not sure about the flimsier K50 but so far the aperture block problem has not occurred with mine, and it has about 20K clicks on it. Actually I wouldn't mind trying the newest flagship when it comes out, but I don't feel like maintaining two systems any more.

06-15-2020, 12:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have my K-7 and that’s it: don’t have another camera. Sorry.
06-15-2020, 12:20 AM   #18

There was a time I could tell you the lens line-ups from the big 3, Nikon, Canon and Pentax including the features of each lens down to the filter sizes used. You know what? None of that information made my image taking any better.

I always wanted to investigate Olympus and finally got my chance when a large Canadian electronics vendor, Future Shop, was selling the Olympus E-410, a 10mp DSLR with two kit lenses for the insane price of $299! in 2009 or so. Once you get bitten by the Olympus bug you can't shake it. As I wrote in my introduction thread I wanted a more modern Olympus to go along side my recent Pentax K-50 so I took the Olympus plunge as well.

I've had my fun with Nikon and Canon and Contax in my film days but Pentax was my mainstay. I love the feel of a little tough camera in my hands. I loved my Mx and Me Super and my K1000. I felt like I could drive nails with a Mx (or Olympus) and turn around and shoot a roll of K25!

There you have it, Pentax is my go-to camera over the years but Olympus is my mistress. I must admit though, the Sony sirens are singing a song I'm having a very hard time ignoring.
06-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Just Pentax here.
To me it's not worth maintaining multiple systems or even formats...

Seconded.

06-15-2020, 12:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Wait, we're allowed more than one camera?!

I jest. I'm no longer using a Pentax camera but would (and have) happily recommend them to photography virgins.
I moved to a FF mirrorless camera after realising 95% of my stuff was vintage/manual focus glass which works nicely with it. The one AF lens I have now is a reasonably 'normal' FoV and autofocus is considerably quicker/better than I experienced with Pentax. That said, build quality is worse, it's not as rugged feeling but there's always a compromise.
Interestingly, I've yet to experience any headaches with the new system regardless of how long I use the EVF for.
06-15-2020, 01:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I can't seem to resist snapping up cheap old CCD point-and-shoots that I find in thrift shops. Most of them are hopeless, but one or two have ended up as keepers that can still beat any phone camera for quality of rendering. I'm a particular fan of the Fuji E900 and the Canon A1200.

I've never had an old Pentax point-and-shoot though. I only ever buy ones with a viewfinder, and Pentax seems to have abandoned viewfinders and gone screen-only quite early.
06-15-2020, 02:38 AM   #22
pid
Pentaxian

My main camera is the K-1 and second one is the K-5. To just walk around my Q-S1 is a fantastic and light set.

06-15-2020, 02:41 AM   #23
Forum Member

I am a fickle photographer. I have lots of cameras in different formats, and enjoy shooting all of them. I guess my primary format is 35mm film, for which I use a variety of Canon bodies (1N, 7, 7N, T2, K2) with consumer-grade lenses (28-90 III, 28-135, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5, 100-300). The autofocus and cost per frame anchors me firmly in 35mm. I also have several medium format film cameras: Agfa Isolette III, Mamiya 6 folder, P645N x2. The 6x6 cameras are a throwback to all manual everything. They don't get used much, but they do bring a smile to my face. The 645 was a test gone way wrong. I liked the original 645 so much that I bought an NII. Then I came across a deal too good to pass up on a second 645N that came with both FA 45-85 & FA 80-160. Now I have bunch of 645 stuff that mainly collects dust because the cost per frame is quite high. And of course, there has to be a digital in the mix: Canon 80D and some EFs lenses. Next year it may all be different.

Wrigley's way of telling me 80 degrees and sunny is too hot for a 114 pound (freakishly large mutant) Golden Retriever. Canon K2/28-90/Fujicolor film.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bassat; 06-15-2020 at 02:49 AM. Reason: add photo
06-15-2020, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh WG-6
Pentax Q7
Ricoh Theta Z1
Ricoh GR III
Pentax KP
Pentax LX
Pentax K-1 Mark II (two of)
Pentax 645Z

Does anyone detect a pattern?
06-15-2020, 04:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I shoot about 16 different brands over about 25 different bodies. They all take photos and don't complain (much) during the process.
Steve
You tamed them all well !

I still got a Pentax KX, Super A, a Fujica ST-605, a Praktica MTL3, a Russian Fed 2, a Lomo Leningrad (wind up camera), and a newly purchased laser cut K mount pinhole cap, it is fun to play with them !
06-15-2020, 06:09 AM   #26
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

recently purchased a back-ordered Ricoh Theta Z1
should be here in 2-3 weeks
interested in adding 360 degree shots to my real estate portfolio
will be interested in getting milk way shots with this guy too
seems like a very fun and capable camera
06-15-2020, 06:24 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

My other camera is a Pentax

I'm all in. It's the best solution IMO. I also have a Theta Z1, but even though it's not a Pentax I feel like it sorta is.

I tried juggling 2 systems, Pentax and my former Sony cameras that I did love. But being in one system is just way easier and cheaper.
06-15-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I can't seem to resist snapping up cheap old CCD point-and-shoots that I find in thrift shops. Most of them are hopeless, but one or two have ended up as keepers that can still beat any phone camera for quality of rendering. I'm a particular fan of the Fuji E900 and the Canon A1200.
We have several Canon P&S - an A720 IS that is sometimes used for "records" shots around the house, and virtually identical A1300 & A1400 that are sometimes convenient to slip in a pocket &/or as holiday backup cameras.

Last edited by jeallen01; 06-20-2020 at 03:11 PM.
06-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Fuji. I find that the system covers many of the weaknesses in my Pentax gear.
06-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nokia 7.1 when the K-1 is at home, but it's mostly to snap something interesting for friends/family or to metaphorically flagellate myself later with a "why didn't I take the camera today" . The former is more than well served with a regular cheap smartphone, and the latter needs an actual camera with a decently larger sensor, which is the main reason I'm considering a GR or similar if I find myself with extra disposable income in the near future .