Pentax K-1
Pentax K-3
Pentax Optio W90
Pentax Q
Pentax K-5
Panasonic Lumix ZS100
Nikon AW120
Pentax XG-1

And I have more wildlife, action and bird images posted on the forum than almost all the guys who claimed to have switched to do those things.
Our Nikon AW 130 believe it or not, though it is 10 years newer than our Optio W90, has barely been used. We prefer the W90.
Our Lumix ZS100 is great for 4k video and some stills. But Pentax doesn't have a 1 sensor camera so I have nothing to compare it with. That said, it hasn't done well at what we bought it for. The expected dynamic rage advantage over the 1:2.3 sensors isn't what it should be.

We are 0 for 2 in success with other than Pentax cameras.

If I could characterize our experience.
We bought cameras from other brands for specific purposes and were disappointed for both the purpose we bought them for and our use of the camera beyond that purpose.
Our DSLR Pentax gear has always done what we bought it for, and has opened other photographic opportunities beyond what we bought them for. But our Pentax gear has not been free of disappointments either. The XG-1 bought on a whim, doesn't seem to benefit from the usual Pentax feature of excellent IQ. And our Q is hardly ever used. We both have trouble with small things that require adjusting.

YMMV

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2020 at 07:15 AM.
06-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just Pentax. K3 and the Q.
06-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I heard good things about the A7, but sorry I never consider Sony a camera company, it got no root in photography but produced sensor for many cameras, and afaik Samsung produced sensors for Pentax too, also designed and produced the short lived but excellent NX series.

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 12:17 PM ----------

There is one more on my list I want to try if I've money to spare, it is the weird, unusual but excellent IQ, the Sigma Quartto series, most likely the DP3, or the less likely SD Quartto H. I know the limitation with it, I just want to see how it compares to a regular sensor camera. If I bought it will be a 'keeper', hard to find another silly guy will take it ha !
I shoot the Sigma DP3 Merrill alongside my KP (as well as Sony A7, Sony A6000 and Fuji X70). As long as you keep the ISO low (you can get away with 800 for Black and White) you get some incredible images. Apparently there is a full frame Foveon sensor camera on its way from Sigma which will use the L mount.
06-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film: Nikon FE2, Nikon FM2, Pentax K1000, Mamiya 645 1000s, Calumet 4X5 although I rarely shoot film anymore.
Digital: Nikon D7100 (use it with all my Nikkor manual lenses); Canon 6D (use it for weddings & special events)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 (My first digital camera, use it for Travel, Street photography and Video);
Canon Elph 180 (fits in shirt pocket) ; iPhone 5(use it at will).

Last edited by hjoseph7; 06-15-2020 at 09:13 AM.
06-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Wild P32 - these days with 6x8 film. 4 micron distortion at the most.
06-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #36
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I also have a Theta Z1, but even though it's not a Pentax I feel like it sorta is.
That's a main reason I wanted a Theta for a 360 degree. It felt more like part of the family haha
but also those dual 1-inch sensors.. and RAW support..
06-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #37
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
theatre work: mostly 2 Nikon D700** and 2 Pentax K-5
everyday: mostly Pentax Q
film: mostly Pentax MZ-S, Nikon FM-2 and Nikonos III

_____
** After 8 years w/ Pentax digital I wanted FF and use of several excellent older Nikon F mount lenses, so the D700. It was inexpensive and has excellent DR, AF, build, etc.

06-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Well, I use my phone a fair amount, Samsung Galaxy S9. I also have a nice little Olympus ZX-1, originally bought as a diving camera but it is also a throw-in-the-pocket camera. Decent images and great convenience. K-50 for the serious attempts.
06-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax and Ricoh GRii are the only digital. The "other" cameras - ie, active with film in them now are: Canon EOS 1v, Nikon F5, Nikon FM2n and FM.
06-16-2020, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In addition to my three Pentax APS-C bodies and a Pentax AF film body, I own three Sony mirrorless cameras. The A7 actually spends more time wearing Pentax and Minolta prime lenses than anything else and I feel it is absolutely ideal for that purpose. I like small-ish cameras because I'm often hiking or biking and that's the no. 1 reason why I haven't ever been that interested in the K-1.

On the non-interchangeable lens front, I carry a Pano Lumix LF1 with me just about everywhere because it has a 30-200 mm equivalent range, a fairly bright f/2 wide end and can save raw files that have a surprising amount of exposure latitude/dynamic range. Other notable items that I still like to use are my Samsung NV3 and a very well-used Canon S3is (now running CHDK and used largely for timelapse). I've got a few old cameras permanently 'parked' due to functional issues and/or real obsolescence. Every once in a while, one these comes out of the cupboard for a day or so.
06-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well my primary camera is the K-3 or K-3ii so moving from the Pentax APS-C digitals (I own 4) my other camera would likely be my Spotmatic F or the Auto 110. I still love the Spotmatic and the Auto 110 is just a fun little camera. That Spotmatic and I have been through a lot and was my first and for a log time only real camera so it enjoys a special place with me. Once I found out that somethign like the Auto 110 existed I decided I wanted on because the whole concept of one seemed amusing to me.
06-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started off with a Nikon D300 a couple of years ago. A cheap ME Super introduced me to film and the wonders of Pentax, and I ended up with a Nikon F5 (or three) to use my Nikon lenses with, and a K1 to use my legacy Pentax lenses with.

My F5 is my go-to camera. On holiday I slipped when carrying my F5 and the 500mm F4/P lens and landed F5-first... first thing I did was laugh . It's a tank and it feels good, it takes good photos. Love it!

(I also take an ME Super along with the F5 because it's also very nice)
06-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #43
Forum Member

I would say m43 are my main cameras, having a pretty good collection of 7 bodies and 10 lenses. There are 3 in use point and shoot cameras Canon G10, G9X and Panasonic TZ60 for when I am going light not really out taking photographs. Then I missed using an SLR camera and felt drawn to Pentax, it was the last DSLR I had and the only film AF cameras I enjoyed so I was drawn to them.
06-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #44

Latest acquisition = Olympus Tough TG-6 action camera: Because it is capable to Capture in RAW format. Use for occasional snorkeling and more frequently kayaking in surf conditions that I otherwise must put my K-5 and 18-135mm away into its dry bag. Additionally handy for those family activity times I wish to have a pocketable only camera capable for post processing favorite images. It was difficult to spend that much without putting it towards expanding my preferred Pentax DSLR performance.
06-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

No need for 35 mm with a couple of excellent K10d bodies.

I am a collector of Hasselblad cameras and lenses.
Not just collecting, I also enjoy using them.
It is a different approach to photography.
Just 12 images in a film back forces me to spend more time before I shoot.