Olympus announcement

NO MORE CAMERAS!

Olympus is selling off its consumer camera business | Engadget

06-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
NO MORE CAMERAS!
Just read the news too in another forum. We all were guessing that it was coming. The questions was who first. Now the million dollar question... who next? Sad and sobering day for photography. Never owned Olympus gear but tried their OM1 film cameras back in the days and some of the digital offerings at trade show more recently. Their optics are second to none and their buttery smooth shutter must be the best in the industry. What a shame.
06-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is definitely sad. But I think a good thing is that cameras have gotten to the point of being able to produce stunning, technically excellent photographs in most genres to near perfection. Just imagine if this happened when cameras were still at two megapixels. Producing a 24x36 print would be pretty hard then. So even if all companies go out of business in five years, we still have a lot of excellent cameras to use that will last most of us a lifetime.
06-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's rather sad, but not unexpected. Their top of the line Micro Four Thirds bodies were rather ambitiously priced and could not have been hot sellers. Let's hope that a buyer with the vision to move Olympus into profitable territory steps forward.

06-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
It's rather sad, but not unexpected.
I am afraid this is the sign of things to come for other players too. I don't think anyone is immune. The "enemy" is the phone not the other camera manufacturers. All the camera manufacturers are in the same boat. The camera technology has hit a saturation point. I can print top notch 24x36 prints from my K5IIs files, and that is a camera from about 7-8 years ago!
06-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fortunately for Olympus users the MFT lens system is open and there are still other companies produce glass for the mount and bodies that can use their glass.
06-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Honestly, I'm surprised they went as long as they did. With sensor pricing coming down all the time, small sensor cameras are making less sense all the time unless you are one of the very few people who works extensively with super telephoto lenses
06-24-2020, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Its all been downhill since the OM1

06-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus has sold off the camera business, just as Pentax did several years ago. They new buyers plan to continue the business, but it does look like the Olympus name was not part of it, although there are not really a lot of details. When Konica-Minolta shut down they sold off the mount and assets to Sony and had some type of development agreement. This sounds more like the entire business, sans Olympus name, so I would think that would the employees of the business would also transfer to JIP. The bigger question is what will JIP do in the long run. Will they run the business as is, but more efficiently? Are they planning more acquisitions and mergers? Are they planning to produce Zuiko lenses in other mounts? That could be a very interesting venture, which could possibly do well, especially if they still have tooling around for the old full frame lenses.

I would think they got the business at a very attractive price, but maybe not. I'm surprised that they buyer was not another camera or lens manufacturer.
06-24-2020, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Olympus has sold off the camera business, just as Pentax did several years ago. They new buyers plan to continue the business, but it does look like the Olympus name was not part of it, although there are not really a lot of details. When Konica-Minolta shut down they sold off the mount and assets to Sony and had some type of development agreement. This sounds more like the entire business, sans Olympus name, so I would think that would the employees of the business would also transfer to JIP. The bigger question is what will JIP do in the long run. Will they run the business as is, but more efficiently? Are they planning more acquisitions and mergers? Are they planning to produce Zuiko lenses in other mounts? That could be a very interesting venture, which could possibly do well, especially if they still have tooling around for the old full frame lenses.

I would think they got the business at a very attractive price, but maybe not. I'm surprised that they buyer was not another camera or lens manufacturer.
Japan Industrial Partners is a Private Equity firm specializing in acquirig underperforming divisions of larger industrial enterprises and then applying superior management techniques and targeted capital investments to improve profitability of the acquired enterprise. We can expect staffing Headcount rationalization, product sunsets, real estate sales and Plant & Equipment rationalization, marketing expense reduction and subsequent (eventual) sale of the cleaned-up enterprise to a permanent owner. Street talk is the patent portfolio alone is fully worth the suspected purchase cost, so that camera operations could be simply run off.

There probably wasn’t another camera buyer interested. They’re all trying to be the last-man-standing as it is. Sony Vaio, no longer marketed in EU (Owned by JIP) and Pentax, no longer marketed in North America (only supported) are examples of possible business model restructuring going forward.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-24-2020 at 11:42 AM.
06-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sad to hear. I started my slr days on my dadís OM-1, which he got from his dad 🤓
06-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

NO MORE CAMERAS!
Unless the new owners want to continue production.

Steve
06-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Discussed here:
Olympus will sell their Imaging business to Japan Industrial Partners - PentaxForums.com
Closed Thread