Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,870
FocusTune V4 and K70

I am using FocusTune V4.0.22 and trying to calibrate lenses with my K70. The files are jpeg SOOC. When I try to run the automatic analysis, it tells me my camera isn't AFA.

I know some on this forum have used FocusTune with Pentax cameras. Is the K70 just not able to communicate the focus adjustment settings, or is there a way I can edit the EXIF?

06-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 819
I don't have a K 70, but would be surprised if it doesn't provide for AF fine adjustment. Your User Manual should describe that if it is available.
I would assume that the FocusTune software is unable to read the exif correctly, maybe they haven't provided for the way Pentax writes that data into the exif.
You can use exiftool to edit the exif data, provided you know what is needed, maybe you need to make an entry in the format used by something the software understands, e.g a Canon or Nikon, but it will also be looking for the entry to identify the camera.
For the record, the K-3 II writes the AF fine adjustment value as follows ...' AF Adjustment : 0'
It may be simpler to just do the process manually, as most of us do.
Take multiple shots without any adjustment to get an average or consistent indication of front of back focusing and then make an appropriate camera AF fine tune adjustment and repeat until you feel you are within cooee.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Terry
06-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,296
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I am using FocusTune V4.0.22 and trying to calibrate lenses with my K70. The files are jpeg SOOC. When I try to run the automatic analysis, it tells me my camera isn't AFA.

I know some on this forum have used FocusTune with Pentax cameras. Is the K70 just not able to communicate the focus adjustment settings, or is there a way I can edit the EXIF?
The K-70 should be supported (on list for V4.0.22 as K7D). What's more, the AFA data in the EXIF are presented the same for all Pentax cameras that have the feature. I don't own FocusTune, but have been very tempted at times to get a copy and will be very interested to see how your issue resolves.

Have you dropped a note to MTD for help?

As for editing the EXIF, I don't believe that values in the Makernotes section can be edited.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-25-2020 at 07:09 PM.
06-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 3,251
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-70 should be supported (on list for V4.0.22 as K7D). What's more, the AFA data in the EXIF are presented the same for all Pentax cameras that have the feature. I don't own FocusTune, but have been very tempted at times to get a copy and will be very interested to see how your issue resolves.

Have you dropped a note to MTD for help?

As for editing the EXIF, I don't believe that values in the Makernotes section can be edited.


Steve
I've used Focus Tune a great deal in the past but have given up on using it as I never was able to get consistent results with it with my K-3. It seems great in concept but the setup is quite trying. I do use Michael Tapes target but using the software is tedious and time consuming.

As for editing EXIF in Makernotes it can be done via script in EXIFtools as I do it to change my 55-300 PLM Lens Model in Makernotes to appear as a HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR so DXO PhotoLab Elite 3.3 can be used to process raw images from the lens and use their excellent Prime noise reduction algorithm.

06-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,296
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
As for editing EXIF in Makernotes it can be done via script in EXIFtools as I do it to change my 55-300 PLM Lens Model in Makernotes to appear as a HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR so DXO PhotoLab Elite 3.3 can be used to process raw images from the lens and use their excellent Prime noise reduction algorithm.
I think I am familiar with the script. Lens Model is a standard EXIF tag. The script reads the friendly text (ExifTool has a LUT for that purpose) associated with the Makernotes LensType and copies it into EXIF Lens Model. Alternatively, one can put whatever lens name one wishes into Lens Model. I do that for vintage Soviet and similar.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
focustune, focustune v4, k70, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 and FocusTune update unkipunki Pentax K-3 20 11-30-2013 07:11 PM
Lightroom v4 and SSD? raider Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 9 04-10-2012 05:08 PM
70 meter remote for cam with Cactus V4 (and alike) for 3,- john1973 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 07-22-2010 07:38 PM
Cactus v4 triggers, Pentax K20D and Metz 58 won't fire. luke_sheff Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 03-16-2010 12:05 AM
Cactus v4 vs YongNuo RF-602 for K100D and K-7 raider Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 01-12-2010 10:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top