Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2020, 11:19 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just Chatting

Hello, my name is Stephen and I like to talk about Pentax cameras:

My parents, I must give credit, started me in this awesome hobby. As a university graduation present, I was offered an entry-level camera of my choice. My mom is an extremely active birder (Canon SX60 HS) and shoots mainly for her Facebook groups. Although not nearly as tech-oriented as myself (hates even changing lenses), my mom pushed me to get a bridge Canon as well. Being completely naïve to photography, and perhaps as a welcome distraction from finishing my studies, I started researching different camera makes and models and found that Pentax much more closely fit what I had in mind for a camera.

I studied in Environmental Science including post-grad concentrating on river management. I was in the field often, and my stuff got wet. Therefore, a new camera must be weather resistant. This statement alone strongly disfavored most (all?) other major camera brands. For both Canon and Nikon, you would have had to afford their mid-tier, enthusiast-grade gear to get the weather sealing. As a poor student at the time, these options seemed more cost-prohibitive. And speaking of cost-prohibitive, mirrorless (cough Sony cough) options seemed absolutely absurd.

In addition to weather-sealing, Pentax offered in their entry-level camera (2015; Pentax K-S2 vs. Canon T6i), what other companies withhold until you upgrade into much more expensive models such as pentaprisms instead of pentamirrors, dual-control wheels, faster max shutter speed, wider viewfinder coverage, and more AE bracketing stops. On top of that, Pentax offered in-body stabilization, no anti-aliasing (simulated if you wanted it), and astrotracer capabilities - all in a smaller, tougher-built, more affordable package. It was an obvious choice.

And how cool is the K-Mount, amirite?
You can grab any K-Mount lens since 1975 and it will work on any modern Pentax body just fine thanks to The Green Button. And with a relatively inexpensive adapter, you open your options to the entire catalogue of vintage M42 screw-mount lenses. To boot, all these lenses are now stabilized thanks to Pentax using in-body stabilization. I’m thinking that I could not only purchase one or two autofocus and weather resistant lenses for work, but I could also expand my kit with more affordable used gear as a hobby.

Before I even graduated, without any camera body to use, I started buying lenses through my local Value Village (thrift store) and Kijiji (online buy & sell). In no time, I had myself a neat Super-Multi-Coated Takumar kit in addition to a couple M series K-mount lenses. I eventually found a *ist DS to use even before the K-S2 arriving after graduation. From there, I’ve really fell down the rabbit hole of photography. I’ve owned LOTS of cameras and lenses and I am constantly buying/repairing/selling used gear to be able to afford gear that I want to keep in my main kit.

Here’s my main kit now:

Cameras:
Pentax K-S2
Pentax K-5

Zooms:
HD Pentax DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 ED DC AW
smc Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL[IF] DC WR
HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

Primes:
Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro
smc Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited
smc Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
smc Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR

Vintage:
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Pentacon 50mm f/1.8
Industar-50-2 50mm f/3.5
Helios-44-2 58mm f/2

Lastly, I’d like to talk about my plans moving forward. Numbered, if anyone would like to chat or comment!

Cameras:
1) I am very excited for the new Pentax flagship APS-C. I really feel like I’ve outpaced my cameras and I am very eager for something new with the latest tech that Pentax has to offer. Both the K-Next and battery grip will probably get a pre-order outta me.

Zooms:
2) I just purchased the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 (absolutely love it) which allowed me to sell off two lenses out of my main kit (10-20mm & 13mm f/2.8). I have a small real estate photography side-gig and this lens is the go-to. I cannot wait to use it for astrophotography too. This lens will be in my kit for life.

3) My 18-135mm walk-around lens is very nervous to hear that a 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM is around the corner…

4) The PLM/WR/RE combo on the 55-300mm is a dream for hiking and birding. Maybe one day I’ll afford something faster/longer for birding but categorically those lenses are just so expensive.

Primes:
5) The Sigma 24mm was purchased at an outrageous deal - one of my best finds. This lens is not frequently used in my kit. However, it’s substantially wider than my 35mm and f/1.8 is going to be pretty hard for a zoom lens to beat out. It has a really short distance to infinity, so it’s a brilliant lens to use for street photography. Also, the focal length is nice to get some background context to a macro-focused subject. I think I would use a lighter 10mm prime more, or maybe the Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 fisheye. But the DA* 11-18mm dominates this category, even beats most primes.

6) Although this lens is the ‘smc’ version and not the ‘HD’ version (missing coatings & rounded blades), the 35mm Limited is one of my favourite lenses. The Limited series is about the heart and expression of a photograph, not necessarily striving to be clinically precise like the * series. However, the 35mm Limited Macro does both! I absolutely love this lens for taking group portraits and flower/plants macro photography. If it were WR, it’d be used much more.

7) I’ve been using the 50mm f/1.4 for single-person portraits. I have an 1.5 year old daughter and this lens has so much character and creates these warm, dreamy portraits of her – just love it. I had owned the F series 50mm f/1.7 and the FA f/1.4 beat it out of my main kit. The f/1.7 may have been ever so slightly sharper (and had a nicely recessed front element) but I kept the f/1.4 for the extra stoppage and that character!

8) The 100mm WR was one of my first lenses I ever bought and the first one brand-new. I had it on my doorstep a few days before the K-S2 even arrived. Working in Environmental Science, we often have to document plants and insects which require a semi-telephoto 1:1 macro. Starting out, the DA-L 18-50mm RE/WR kit lens and the 100 WR were my only lenses in my work kit.

Vintage:
9) As mentioned before, I’ve owned LOTS of vintage gear. But I’ve sold them off to afford more modern glass that I might use more often. I’ve decided however, to keep a small M42 vintage collection of favourites around the 50mm mark. The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 represents the sole survivor of a large S-M-C kit. What a gorgeous, premium-feeling lens.

10) The Pentacon was an early find as well and I used it a bunch with it’s aperture stop-down button feature along with using Av mode. Centre sharp and full of wonderful character.

11) I bought this little Industar curiosity for it’s interesting Cyrillic writing and impressively small size. The focus throw is way too long for this lens, and it’s not really sharp, but the vintage looking contrast and saturation this lens produces generates some creative photos.

12) The famous Helios 44-2 for some swirly bokeh! Even on my APS-C cameras, I get amazing swirl from this lens when focused just right. Love doing dreamy portraits in the park among the trees!

What next?
13) The K-Next and battery grip is the next one for sure. I yearn for more megapixels, PixelShift, noise-reduction accelerator chip, 14-bit RAW files, faster burst rates with deeper buffer, dual card slots, more focus points, better focus tracking, built-in GPS, better (bigger) hand grip, third control wheel, latest shake reduction tech, and I am sure there is going to be much more!

14) I have a gap in my primes lineup between the 50mm and 100mm. Although the new 85mm would be freakin’ awesome, it’s really expensive. I think the FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited is a likely candidate for the next purchase.

15) Something with a faster aperture in the longer telephoto focal lengths. Maybe the DA* 200 or DA* 300 or both one day, but the stories about the SDM motors being sluggish has made me avoid those lenses. I would like to have a faster aperture tele to use indoors when my daughter is in school and doing plays or presentations. Was also thinking maybe the FA* 80-200 f/2.8 could fit this bill...

16) I think an S-M-C Tak 85mm f/1.8 or a Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 may find their way into my vintage kit one day.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear your comments – I love to talk about Pentax cameras!

All the best,
Stephen

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-01-2020 at 09:24 AM.
06-30-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice write up and welcome. Sounds like you enjoy the whole exploration of photography. Would like to here more about in front of the lens. I love insects so to me the envirnmental science and plants and insects part in particular. For instance i take pictures of damselflys to check for mites. I try to get one photo of everything to become aware of current diversity. Do tell your experience.
06-30-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing your story. I figure I may as well share mine. I have had a fascination with cameras and photographs since I was a kid. The nostalgia of going through old photo albums has a huge draw for me. Growing up in the 80s my Dad had an ME Super with the auto winder and a 70-200mm lens. I thought it was amazing and many of our family photos were taken with that camera. Later my Grandfather got an A3000 with a 28-80mm lens. While none of this gear is high end it took decent photos on film, certainly better than the point and shoot cameras of the day. In my 20's my Grandfather who suffered from parkinsons disease loaned me his A3000 on a permanent basis and I had a blast taking pictures but really they were just snapshots and I had no real talent for it. I just loved having the pictures of family and friends. When my Grandfather passed away my Grandmother insisted I keep the A3000 kit, I still have it. Not long after I acquired my first DSLR, a Pentax K100D Super. I quickly found that old Takumar 28-80mm is a terrible lens, especially on digital, but I still keep it anyway. The K100D was awesome and it has taken thousands of photos of my kids and our family adventures. A K5, K3, and K1 followed over the years. My Dad passed away last year and I now own that beloved ME Super my Dad carried around through my childhood.

The draw to Pentax for me is a combination of nostalgia, backward compatibility, value for money, and just plain awesomeness. I find it does everything I want it to. I work in tech building infrastructure automation and as a result I actually find myself anti automation in my daily life. I buy base model vehicles with limited or no driving aids, no home automation spy products, and a camera system that lets me do the driving and have full control. I value building my skills and feeling that sense of accomplishment rather than having a computer choose the settings, focus for me, and all I do is point. I am strictly a hobby shooter and probably not that good at it, but I have fun. I like to be able to put on those old lenses and see that even cheap and terrible as they are they can still make nice images.

My collection has grown a lot over the years.

Cameras
K100D Super, K5 x2, K3, K1, ME Super, A3000, P30T x2, Spotmatic

Lenses
Pentax - FA 50mm f1.4, F 50mm f1.7, DA 50mm f1.8, HD FA 35mm f2, DA 35mm f2.4, F 28mm f2.8, DA 55-300mm, M 50mm f2, A 50mm f2, Takumar K 28-80mm, Takumar K 70-200mm
Tamron - 17-50mm, 28-75mm, 70-200mm, 90mm macro
Samyang - 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4
Takumar - 28mm f3.5, 35mm f3.5, 55mm f1.8, 55mm f2, 135mm f3.5

My plans for the future include the K-New when it comes out. I love my K3 but the shutter button is starting to fail. I prefer to shoot my K1 but like to have the smaller APSC camera as a backup and to take places I don't want to risk my K1. The K5s still work but they have become the cameras my kids shoot with.

My shooting has evolved over the years from where I used to hate 50mm and never used it, to 50mm being my preferred focal length to the point where I now own many 50s for FF and 35s for APSC. I think the DFA 50mm might be in my future but we'll see. I can't really justify the cost for my hobby shooting but I also don't own a single WR lens and would like to have at least one.

My most used lens is the Tamron 28-75mm just for its convenience shooting in family and adventure situations. I have found it to be an excellent lens despite corner weakness. Those weaker corners have never actually been an issue even for landscapes. The various 50s are catching up in use though as my shooting style evolves. I still haven't decided which 50 or 35 is my favourite so I keep rotating between them.

I love my Pentax gear. I plan to keep shooting it for a long time.
06-30-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
The K5s still work but they have become the cameras my kids shoot with.
Yes! Give them the experience(s) you had with Dad and Grandad. I, too, owe my Dad for my photographic inclinations.

06-30-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked Pentax for a lot of the same reasons you did. Great feature set and a reasonable price. I picked up my K-50 as it was being discontinued, and got a good deal on it. I'm fully satisfied with it, and hope to NOT meet another Pentax shooter in the field that has a KP or something.

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
the 35mm Limited is one of my favourite lenses
Yes, fantastic lens.

I’ve been using the 50mm f/1.4 for single-person portraits.
Even more fantastic! (That statement will raise some eyebrows.) I have the K-mount version which I believe is the same as your Tak repackaged for K. I bought it as a poor man's portrait lens and then was astounded by what it does. That thing just exudes gobs of character, especially with people.

I like your setup of primes (24/35/50/100). Just today, my K24 arrived along with a set of extension tubes, and I'll have a similar setup (24/35/50/200) once the incoming-package-quarantine has elapsed. If I warm to these new tools (or if they warm to me) I'll be strongly considering selling my modern glass and keeping those 4 vintage lenses only. I have this KISS streak, you see, and the idea of having a small set of relatively simple lenses that I get to know really well (and that all have the same filter diameter (!)) is really appealing to me.

Plus,

I actually find myself anti automation in my daily life.
this.

There's something very satisfying about deliberately choosing the focal length, solid metal, big smooth focus rings, clicky-clicks, penta-bokeh, and having to struggle a bit to collect the right photons.
06-30-2020, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, my name is Stephen and I like to talk about Pentax cameras:
Stephen
Great story Stephen, It's a lot more interesting when someone who has been on the forum for a while has this story than a new member. That may not sound right because the new users here a welcome and interesting, but you have been here so we feel we know you some, now we know you more! It's cool how everybody has a different path different goals, different likes, but we all have some commonalities too. I have also owned a lot of older lenses, bought and sold to fund others. I have owned 116 different k mount or M42 lenses, currently possessing about a dozen. I keep a spreadsheet of that information and consult it regularly. And there are always a few that you wish you had kept, because as you have seen and as vector points out below, your photography does evolve. Your interests, skills, and opportunities continue to change, at least for most people. Thanks for writing this, it's a great read.

Thanks for sharing your story. I figure I may as well share mine. I have had a fascination with cameras and photographs since I was a kid. The nostalgia of going through old photo albums has a huge draw for me. Growing up in the 80s my Dad had an ME Super with the auto winder and a 70-200mm lens. I thought it was amazing and many of our family photos were taken with that camera. Later my Grandfather got an A3000 with a 28-80mm lens. While none of this gear is high end it took decent photos on film, certainly better than the point and shoot cameras of the day. In my 20's my Grandfather who suffered from parkinsons disease loaned me his A3000 on a permanent basis and I had a blast taking pictures but really they were just snapshots and I had no real talent for it. I just loved having the pictures of family and friends. When my Grandfather passed away my Grandmother insisted I keep the A3000 kit, I still have it. Not long after I acquired my first DSLR, a Pentax K100D Super. I quickly found that old Takumar 28-80mm is a terrible lens, especially on digital, but I still keep it anyway. The K100D was awesome and it has taken thousands of photos of my kids and our family adventures. A K5, K3, and K1 followed over the years. My Dad passed away last year and I now own that beloved ME Super my Dad carried around through my childhood.

My shooting has evolved over the years from where I used to hate 50mm and never used it, to 50mm being my preferred focal length to the point where I now own many 50s for FF and 35s for APSC. I think the DFA 50mm might be in my future but we'll see. I can't really justify the cost for my hobby shooting but I also don't own a single WR lens and would like to have at least one.

My most used lens is the Tamron 28-75mm just for its convenience shooting in family and adventure situations. I have found it to be an excellent lens despite corner weakness. Those weaker corners have never actually been an issue even for landscapes. The various 50s are catching up in use though as my shooting style evolves. I still haven't decided which 50 or 35 is my favourite so I keep rotating between them.

I love my Pentax gear. I plan to keep shooting it for a long time.
It's pretty rare in the world of photography to see someone shooting with three generations of gear. Pretty cool to be using something that your father and grandfather used. I guess I do have some hand tools in that category, but I don't use them as much. Interesting that your shooting has evolved enough to do a 360 on 50mm, but I think that's common. I mentioned above that interests, opportunities, and skills change. I figure I know how to use lenses a lot better now than say 5 years ago, and way better than 10. And I know I have a lot of room to improve. I have met one or two photographers that were pretty sure they were perfect, but I think they just had low standards. I had no success with manual focus lenses back when I was first starting with Pentax, but now I don't mind it at all, in fact I love shooting with a tripod, and it's pretty much manual focus most of the time. Yes, you will like having at least one WR lens, don't let a little wet wether keep you in. I would really have a hard time buying a new lens that is not weather sealed (used ones yes). I bought the DA15 in 2014 and the Sigma 17-50 in 2016, the last two new non WR lenses I have bought, but I did sell the Sigma and replace it with the DA 20-40 Limited which is WR, and a serious upgrade in results. Anyway since I have been using Pentax, it seems that more and more new lenses are in the WR or AW categories, which I think is great. Thanks for sharing your story too.
07-01-2020, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
an invite to chat

well I'm part Irish and an Attorney so I've been known to chat a bit

as a kid my dad had a Yashica SLR and got some Pentax lenses and he then went full out on Pentax gear.

I remember thinking his motor drive was fantastic

I started with a range finder on a student trip to the then Soviet Union in Dec of '77 returning Jan of '78 shooting slides

[ all lost now ]

_____

then I set photography aside until the early '90s and got a Pentax Film camera which I used with inherited Vivitar Series 1 lenses: 28-105mm, 70 -210 [ no. 3 version ] and a autofocus 200mm

I then moved on to an early Pentax DSLR Pentax *ist DL

still didn't get really going but then in 2015 we planned our first trip to Tanzania

I got an experienced K 5 II and had a few lenses and upon our return I discovered the Pentax Forums and joined.

I " moved up " K 3, K 3 II and I luckily won a KP last year

gave away the Vivitars for shipping costs to a member and I have gotten a few lenses ( check profile for list ) to replace them

I have been lucky enough to get lenses covering the scope of wide angle to telephoto, new bought on sale mainly or " experienced " through the forum's market place or other sources

I have sold a couple of lenses as well

just got my first " M " lens - SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7, I have one " K " lens - SMC Pentax 55mm F 1.8 and a Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210 mm
( ver. 3 )

otherwise I have no " vintage " lenses but I do have film era and digital lenses

I like to dabble with wildlife, macro, pollinators, film [ I have 3 Pentax SLRs ] and learning about photography and gear

I claim no expertise in photography [ although I hope that my photography has been improving ] and I like to gain knowledge through reading

I do attempt to pass on what I have learned

I have started a thread ( or two or three - - - )

and I try to remember to have fun here and with my photography

I have really enjoyed the forums, its knowledge and its members

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-01-2020 at 04:42 AM.
07-01-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Would like to here more about in front of the lens.
A semi-unfortunate untold twist to my story is that I have ‘moved up’ in the world and moved from the field into the office. So, there is much less (none) work related photography going on in the office.
However, when I was in the field, a main purpose for needing a tele 1:1 macro was documenting plant parts, specifically grasses (inflorescence looking at different florets, awns, glumes, etc. and collars looking at ligules and auricles, etc.) It wasn’t artsy work. However, I miss the field but working in the office has allowed me to work close to home with a consistent schedule which allowed me to start my young family.

find myself anti automation in my daily life.
I, for one, welcome our new automation overlords! Haha :P

I now own many 50s for FF and 35s for APSC.
I used to try to collect every lens I could. I’d end up with multiples of the same focal lengths. I ended up developing a favourite and neglecting the others. I decided that instead of housing so many lenses (the wife also encouraged this decision) that I would sell the lesser used models that were redundant in focal length or aperture coverage. Some of these sales hurt. Specifically my S-M-C collection (28, 35, 50, 55, 100, 200, 300) and more recently I sold a FA 35mm f/2 when I purchased it’s replacement DA 35mm f/2.8 LTD. Although these sales might have hurt, I didn’t use them enough. And their sales funded other lenses that spark even more joy (ex: DA* 11-18mm). Thanks for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I, too, owe my Dad for my photographic inclinations.
My Dad wasn’t a big photographer. He owns a Canon AE-1 that I remember playing with as a young kid. It was my Mom with her bridge Canon that really encouraged me to research photography

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
I'll be strongly considering selling my modern glass and keeping those 4 vintage lenses only.
Very impressive goals! I’ve put a couple rolls of film through my film bodies, but never developed a single one haha! I’m really an addict for chimping so I like how you're using a K-50 with your film era glass. I definitely see the appeal that you described however the K series are beautiful lenses!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have owned 116 different k mount or M42 lenses, currently possessing about a dozen. I keep a spreadsheet of that information and consult it regularly.
I severely wish I had started doing this. I guess there’s no better time than right now, but the record would be missing soooo much I’ve owned so much gear haha. Maybe one day I’ll try to write it all out.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
an invite to chat
Thanks for sharing aslyfox! Looks like I joined the forums near the same time as you!
You have a unique writing style which presents itself in an easy to digest and fun to read format. I enjoy reading your comments throughout the forums – thanks for sharing the knowledge that you sought!
Did you keep your K-3 and K-3ii or did you sell them when you won the KP?

Thanks all for chatting!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-01-2020 at 10:29 AM.
07-01-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

....Thanks for sharing aslyfox! Looks like I joined the forums near the same time as you!
You have a unique writing style which presents itself in an easy to digest and fun to read format. I enjoy reading your comments throughout the forums – thanks for sharing the knowledge that you sought!
Did you keep your K-3 and K-3ii or did you sell them when you won the KP? . . .
thanks for the compliment

I have all three

truth be told, I am having problems adjusting to the KP

it is a good camera no doubt but not one I would have bought
07-01-2020, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

it is a good camera no doubt but not one I would have bought
What is it about the KP that isn't working for you? Just curious as I have considered replacing my K3 with one on several occasions but haven't been able to do it. I like the look, but have wondered about handling as it is a bit different than the K7,5,3 design. Instead I have been holding out for the K-new that is coming.
07-01-2020, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the K 3 and K 3 II have the same set up and are physically identical

the KP is different from them in set up and size

that is the problem

I have the battery pack for it which helps with the size issue

not saying the KP is bad but again, I would not have bought one

I was shocked when I won it.

luck of the draw
07-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
but have wondered about handling as it is a bit different than the K7,5,3 design.

that is the problem

I have held the KP at photographic trade shows and in-store. Even the largest grip doesn't fit my hand well.
My K-S2/K-5 even have a slightly too small size for my hand. My pinky falls off all the time.
However, I love the look of the KP design and it's stats are pretty impressive.
I've never held one with the battery grip though.. maybe that would help indeed.
07-01-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have held the KP at photographic trade shows and in-store. Even the largest grip doesn't fit my hand well.
My K-S2/K-5 even have a slightly too small size for my hand. My pinky falls off all the time.
However, I love the look of the KP design and it's stats are pretty impressive.
I've never held one with the battery grip though.. maybe that would help indeed.
interesting that there isn't that much difference in actual size but there is one in weight

Size (W X H X D)

K 1 II - 136.5 x 110.0 x 85.5 mm

KP - 131.5 x 101 x 76 mm

K 3 II - 131.5 x 102.5 x 77.5 mm

Weight

K 1 II - 925g (1010 with battery and SD cards)

KP - 643 g (body only), 703 g (with battery)

K 3 II - 700 g (785 g with battery and SD card)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-1+I...=Pentax+K-3+II

note that there is no battery grip in those measurements/weight
07-01-2020, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is it about the KP that isn't working for you? Just curious as I have considered replacing my K3 with one on several occasions but haven't been able to do it. I like the look, but have wondered about handling as it is a bit different than the K7,5,3 design. Instead I have been holding out for the K-new that is coming.
the K 3 and K 3 II have the same set up and are physically identical

that is the problem

not saying the KP is bad but again, I would not have bought one

I was shocked when I won it.

luck of the draw
The KP's grip is very different from the previous Pentax cameras, and it does take a little getting used to. But I I did get used to it rather quickly and rarely use the K-50 I still have, which feels a strange now.
07-01-2020, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The KP's grip is very different from the previous Pentax cameras, and it does take a little getting used to. But I I did get used to it rather quickly and rarely use the K-50 I still have, which feels a strange now.
you mean the hand grip on the physical body ( which has three sizes ) correct ?

QuoteQuote:
Three hand grips are available. . . .
Read more at: Pentax KP Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

as opposed to the battery grip